44 coaches online • Server time: 14:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

After further consideration, I see every other alternative to the new changes as being equally flawed. Given that I have no suggestions that manage to solve the problems at hand without creating an equally large set of new problems, I retract my dissatisfaction.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
4. For Regional Promotions, we will promote as per prior seasons (Top 2 go up), however because of Premier and/or Conference draftees we ususually promote more than those teams to take in the gaps. When we have to do this, we will promote on the basis of TR instead of next best on League Points.

I assume that Parked teams from past Premier and Conference seasons would get first option on extra Conference positions (gaps), regardless of TR?
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Its a difficult scenario, and one thats only come up because of a wierd season.

Just a couple of thoughts on the issue. We're starting to think of Confs more and more as the division where the action is. TR175-225 is where the fun's at. Reggies is just a building/rebuilding block. Competitive placing isn't quite as important there. Note we'll never change our policy on promotion for Conf->Prem.

Back to reggie promotions though, as much as I like the idea of offering a choice to regional players down the list, there is a high chance that many players will turn down the promotion just so they can feast and team build in reggies for another season. And then there are the brave few who will go up long before they're ready anyway. Annachie is a good example of that. We offered mid-season promotion to him and he bravely accepted. I thought we'd lose annachie after getting his team hammered and only finding 1 win in 14 games. To my mind this is rewarding the wusses and discouraging the brave players who'll fill in for the good of the league.

I dont think the alternative is fab either, but seems to me to be the lesser of two evils for now. You could also keep in mind that if you dont come in the top two, by rights you dont deserve to be claiming a guaranteed promotion anyway.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I assume that Parked teams from past Premier and Conference seasons would get first option on extra Conference positions (gaps), regardless of TR?

Yeah, definitely.
annachie

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Snorri wrote:
And then there are the brave few who will go up long before they're ready anyway. Annachie is a good example of that. We offered mid-season promotion to him and he bravely accepted. I thought we'd lose annachie after getting his team hammered and only finding 1 win in 14 games. To my mind this is rewarding the wusses and discouraging the brave players who'll fill in for the good of the league.

Yes well, being belted back down to a TR of not much over 100 while in confs was bad.

I kinda like Sym's idea, but would really only make the offer to decline promotion to teams with a low TR. Say sub 125 or so. (This should be real rare)
chunky04

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The big problem was the effect of forfeits on the points table. We had the situation of a team promoting with a 1/1/2 record due to doing the right thing and sending in emails. Puts things in a bit of rock and a hard place really.

There were a number of suggestions on how to fix it, all with their own pros and cons. In general, the more variables a system takes into account, the more effort it takes to admin. We also like to try and setup the rules so they are pretty well automated, to reduce the chance of admin bias affecting decisions.

I excel at creating ways of doing things that require way too much effort to be worthwhile over another simpler system Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest with you all I would much rather stay in regional as my team has just been massively bashed and lost a few more positionals (sitting on the roster as niggles adding TR), I was planning on retiring them which would take me down to about 142 and out of the promotion race behind damage and possibly even Fool.

If fool / damage wants the spot and the admin team are fine with it I am happy to swap. However i guess all the racial balancing has been done etc.
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I kinda like Sym's idea, but would really only make the offer to decline promotion to teams with a low TR. Say sub 125 or so.

After thinking about my suggestions for a while, I can see (and have had shown to me) ways they too could be abused, even with safeguards like the introduction of the tr limit for declining.

Given that abuse of the rules by coaches is a concern of the admin, making these promotions subject to the will of the admin leaves them free to enforce the policy as they see fit on a case by case basis. The only problem would be if they made mistakes, but seeing as the whole thing is subjective, a term like "mistakes" is meaningless, so what could possibly go wrong?

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2006 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

This is gonna be a tough season methinks... I'm on TR129 and in the conferences... What are you talking about? Action is in the 175-225 area?
xstatika

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2006 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

To be honest with you all I would much rather stay in regional as my team has just been massively bashed and lost a few more positionals (sitting on the roster as niggles adding TR), I was planning on retiring them which would take me down to about 142 and out of the promotion race behind damage and possibly even Fool.

If fool / damage wants the spot and the admin team are fine with it I am happy to swap. However i guess all the racial balancing has been done etc.

Don't worry gumbi, we will still get to play each other...
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2006 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Not going to wade into this one... admins are doing a great job, I'll leave it all in their capable hands.... Smile

suckup finished

Can I just remind clay or whoever sets up the season about the Questor Ro conference Smile and the name of Platypus' premier winning team was the Maniac Mammalians Smile

Pat are you running the golden scribbler again for last season?

Proud Member of the SWL
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2006 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabid_Bogscum wrote:

Can I just remind clay or whoever sets up the season about the Questor Ro conference

Um, what was that for again

Question
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2006 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Patricians postings

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2851&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=375

Bout half way down

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2851&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=435

closer to the bottom

Proud Member of the SWL
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2006 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL XVI will start on Monday week.

We admins have been beavering away doing rule tweaks and are in need of a rest and I am away on business Wed-Fri and then a wedding in Victoria over the weekend so hopefully I can set up the leagues remotely and we'll have the competition starting no later than Mon 4 Sept which means Round 1 will be due on 11 Sept.

Good luck all!
Glutton

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2006 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

woot!!!...and waddaya mean you need time for business & weddings...WORK DAMN YOU! this life isnt for your personal fun...its for mine now get this RUNNING! seriously looking forward to getting smashed with a team I have no idea how to play, its going to be fun.
 Jump to: