46 coaches online • Server time: 11:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Virral

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings all, this thread is for any discussions about the new SWL 4vs4 group. It would be fun to get an ongoing SWL-style competition running, so if anyone has any input about format etc, here is the place.

The main issue seems to be how quickly a team with a few games under its belt will outstrip a new team, although I suppose that is the same with normal bloodbowl too. The possibility of banning certain skills (such as DP or RSC) has also been mentioned, but to be honest I am hesitant to start imposing those kinds of rules on team development, and would hope that sportsmanship would keep that kind of thing under control.

Thoughts?

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I wholeheartedly agree with the fun coming on strong and smooth as a result of a 4v4 competition Virral. On top of what you mentioned i can only see handicaps like virus being the other major problem. Maybe run it like some kind of rookie rumble to begin with? say maybe run 4 of those then the 4 winners play off in a KO finals series to find the winner?

Last edited by toonook on %b %04, %2006 - %06:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Quod

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all.

I think it would be wonderful to have a ongoing SWL style competition, probably a bit slower paced, like 1 game per 2 weeks rather than 1 week.
Also, I think that it would be better to have much smaller groups, so as to lessen the efects of dropouts and deaths along the way. groups of 4? 8 probably better.

I know that putting a limit on kill skills is not the best solution, and you could possibly wait to see how it goes before implementing it. But it may turn out to be required. The best way to win in 4x4 is definately to have all your opponents off the field, and the "hard" teams, especially chaos, with high armor will have a legup on maintaining their team compared to soft skin races.

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

thats if they can stick the hurt in early Quod, as soon as the elf / skaven teams start dancing around it gets a bit harder to knock em over again. They may already have enough TD's established to last out the hurt.

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to play in a SWL 4v4 league. I played in two 5v5 leagues, and both were pretty fun to play in.

New teams will get massacred even more in 4v4 and won't be able to develop very much. I think for a first season we should all start new teams. For later seasons it won't be an issue since the better teams will be in the top division.

For rules I'd say we should have a couple, since 4v4 features quite a few broken skills and teams. Teams with access to multiple strong players, like Chaos, can dominate a league pretty easily once they get a few skills, especially claw and RSC. In the other league there is a limit on positionals, half of what you'd normally get. This seems to work out well and encourage more diversity.

Anyways, those are just a few ideas. No matter what the rules are count me in.
Patrician

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Gents...my 2 cents...

I really agree with limits to Claw,MB,RSC and all the bashing skills.

Positionals, I don't mind. As for Comp, what about a 7 game 8 player tourney, for starters?

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 07:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm enjoying it so far Smile

Main issue for me would be some of the handicaps. It's easy for teams to get three or four handicaps sometimes and while they obviously can do with the help potentially it means one team might not show up at all (e.g. greatest, virus, morleys etc) making a mockery of any kind of league structure. Regardless in a longish running league you'll get much greater mismatches in TR that normal - hard for the new teams to start and potentially back-breaking on the higher TR teams. I don't know what the answer is though. Probably need to do some swiss matchups based on TR ? That means if there is a killer team, they''ll hopefully get paired up with another killer team Smile
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Just an afterthought. I think you should probably wait and see how it develops but here's my suggestion to balance things out a bit.

1. No big guys.
2. No repitition of player positions unless your chosen race has less than four positions, in which case you can only take a max of two of any position.

So dorfs would have to be Runner, Blitzer, Longbeard, Troll slayer; Woodies would have to be Lineman, Thrower, Catcher, Wardancer; Lizards would be 2xSaurus, 2 x skink etc.

I figure this would naturally balance most of the teams as they all have some weaker postions and you wouldn't be able to get 4 mummies, 4 STR4 guys, or 4 AV9 guys across the board. Just stops you picking the elite of your race and ignoring it's weaknesses.
Mercutioh

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Longshanks idea and I would love to be in any type of 4x4 league
Quod

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if no big guys is a good idea or not, big guys are already limited to one, and have a drawback as well as not being able to use RR. If we do say no big guys, that will mean no Ogre teams, right? Limiting positionals to 1 of each type, or halving the amount does sound good indeed.

Can we turn off handicaps for the actual league games? That might solve the problem with handicaps.

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Idea for a tournament:

why not go to the simple open round robin? you can play as many people as you want, but each other only once. then the four with the highest number of wins/TDs/etc go into the finals KO tournament?

then the time limit would only apply to the entire round robin part, and the KOs could be weekly to finish? say 3-6 weeks for the open, plus 2 for the finals, means a 5-8 week competition that lets you play whenever you feel, and not to a strict schedule? (excepting the finals)
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I AM THE GREATEST
MORLEY'S REVENGE if affects 2 or 3 players!

are some of the banned handicaps that are common

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2006 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Virus I'm not so fussed by, if you're willing to keep niggles then you should recognise the risk of missing players from a game. The other handicaps are definitely out though, its too devastating loosing a player.

Limit on kill-skills will probably be necessary, perhaps something along the lines of no RSC and a maximum of one DP (at least DP comes with a chance to lose one of your own precious players).

I didn't think having a Big Guy on the team was necessarily an issue, considering their drawbacks. Some teams only have access to strength through their Big Guys, and strength seems to be king in the 4vs4 world. If someone is willing to use an unreliable high-str player as one of their four slots, that seems reasonable enough to me (especially considering plenty of teams have acceess to str 4/5 players without negatraits).

No repetition of positionals is interesting, although given most of the best positions seem to only have two on a team anyway (Wardancers, Werewolves, Mummies on an Undead team etc) it probably would only really impact a small number of teams. Perhaps as an alternative, we could say a maximum of two for any given position? Doesn't impact on the teams with only 2 positionals while also avoiding a team of four identical players.

I think a 1 game per 2 week tournament would be great fun, although I agree that we will need fresh teams for entry. If we go on to a second season that may become a problem, but for now it should be fine. Depending on how many people we have interested, I'd like to stick to some form of racial balance too, either 1 or 2 of each team tops. I'd be happy to run a draft, so we can basically work it just like the SWL with everyone submitting team choices and then being assigned their teams in random order. Sound good?

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2006 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

yep it all sounds good count me in
Virral

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2006 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, anyone interested in joining a SWL style tournament should send me a PM with their race choices. I'll be doing a random draw on Thursday the 9th to decide who gets what.