64 coaches online • Server time: 00:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2006 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

So, the very first XFL cycle is coming to an end, which means it is time to look into the problems and see what can or should be changed for the next run.

Basic principles of first series:

- weekly KO-Tournament
- starting on a regular schedule
- race schedule not announced beforehand
- only one week of preparation time to build teams up
- teams accepted in order of application only
- alternating bashy-nonbashy race order

Things that did not work out as intended:

- lots of delays in some tournaments
- very irregular starting frequency
- collisions with majors

Adaptions during the cycle:

- XFL starts delayed during major qualifying weeks
- increased starting frequency to catch up with the time schedule

Critcs/suggestions by parts of the community:

- races order should be announced at the start of the cycle
- tournaments should be delayed to give certain teams a chance to particiapte that are locked in other tournaments
- selection of applications should be based on team rating/reputation/..
- tr minimum required should be put in placed
- randomly select next xfl race
- use poll to select next xfl race

This thread is meant to collect the ideas by the community to form an improved rules set for the next xfl cycle. Also someone needs to take care of the xfl. Applications can be put here, but i think Malthor will have to give his okay.

Last edited by Candlejack on %b %22, %2007 - %23:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Flix

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2006 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

In the running XFL cycle we got 2 Teams their coaches are away since 2 month
Malthor

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2006 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Some initial comments...

Thank you Candle for the excellent job you have done running the XFL after taking the torch from Chickenbrain. This sentiment is shared by many and I will not be the first to voice it.

One major change, is that XFL in 2007 and onwards should complete a cycle (all 21 Ranked races) every Calendar year - between January and December.

Some of the criticisim around not announcing the order of the races in advance were due to their only being 5 Ranked slots. Now that coaches can have up to 30 Ranked teams at a time, this is less of an issue.

Another issue I have is the fixed prize. Some XFLs have 8 teams, others have 32, yet all give the same prize for winning even though clearly, some XFLs are harder to win that others (winning 3 in a row vs winning 5 in a row). Whilst the coach is compensated via CR (5x wins instead of 3), the team is not. So I would like to consider tiered prizes... eg +1 FF for 8 team XFL (just like SMACK), +1 FF and 30K for 16 team XFL and +1 FF and 50K for a 32 team XFL.

Another idea which you have suggested, is an XFL Champions tournament where the 21 Winners of XFL in a given year face off for a major prize. This is certainly an idea with a lot of potential, though of course the teams that play earlier in the year have longer to prepare their team for 'all comers' than those that play late in the year. This would be another reason to have the order randomised so that any benefit is through the will of the dice, and not the XFL Co-ordinator's preference in setting the order.

My initial thoughts.

still disliked all round!
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2006 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

XFLs should be regular, 21 Races, two weeks each, the rest of the year for the XFL Mastership and a break maybe. Any collisions with majors: Who cares?? You can have 30 ranked teams if u like. selections of teams based on fame or TR? No way imo. thx for the good Job Candle and pls go on.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm for a TR minimum and teams of very good reputation or famous teams, which stick in a major (like Nandorins) should not get excluded of their XFL.
There is not that amount of good or famous (active) teams on FUMBBL, so this point should get included in the design for 2007.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

the xfl major will be coming after the last xfl is finished, i mentioned that from time to time, but not sure if i put it done somewhere officially. though the format etc is still undecided since i had no real good idea yet that would be fair to all.

about the adjusted prizes: maybe that could be realized by the dynamic winnings teams get in majors, based on the amount of rounds, i refrained from altering the prizes during the cycle because i did not have a sensible technical solution for it (or at least i did not see it) , and it would have been a bit unfair to change such basic rules after some tournaments already had taken place

imo, xfl should not be a promotion tour for a few famous teams, but the chance for the more unknown teams of a certain race to raise to fame, so i would not like to see preferential treatment for reknown teams, of course the should not be denied to play in a xfl if they want.

a tr limit for teams to apply seems reasonable, maybe about 150. also i would like to see coaches who drop out of xfls or cause several delays to be banned for any future xfls of the current cycle.

for choosing the races, i would like the idea to have a poll about what race should be used and then one race chosen randomly from the top 5. then for the next go, take number 6 into account to so you have again 5 teams to choose randomly from and so on...

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the current format quite a lot.

I don't want to make this a thread discussing the shortcomings I see in the majors, but the short notice starts at least make sure the tournies are played by teams that have not been pampered up to megateam status for the sake of the tourney alone.

The current XFL's have a distinct value in the ranked tourney circuit because they are different from the majors. Getting to close to the concept of the majors by scheduling the XFL's well in advance would truly make them minors.

If there might be 1 point to improve its the fact that the first come first serve system used tonallow teams in had somtimes depleted the topurnaments a bit in cases where the number of applicants just failed to reach the 16 or 32 mark.
I think in these cases a solution where a number of teams gets a first round bye based on TR or whatever would be more elegant.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I agree with the sentiments expressed here and truly believe the XFL to be a great fumbbl Minors tournament.

If I may express a thought on how I would like to see the XFL Major tournament, maybe have a few wild card entries from the top finishers, not just have a Winners round. Is only a thought.

I look forward to another year of XFL greatness. ^_^
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

21 lrb races, 1 XFL Overall Championship of all the winners = 22 Tournaments... 12 Months a year, 2 tournaments a month = 24... possibly schedule around Fummbl Cup (not sure if it is always the same time) and give that in a way 2 slots of the tournament schedule... I think a set tr is fine like 150+ or even higher... But also let us know the schedule a head of time to prepare now that we have 30 teams we can focus on the ones need for the tournaments and then you should have 32 for each instead of 16 or 8... Not sure if the Tournament prizes need to be adjusted as its not the fault of the teams playing... +1ff and bragging rights should be fine and they are also entered in the Overall XFL Championship, which will only have 21 teams, something also that will need to be figures out...
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Other ideas depending on the fluff you want behind the tournaments, get a warhammer map and start at one point and travel from on end of the map to the other and thats how the races are decided...

or Have
stunty month - Goblins / Halflings
Undead Month - Khemri / Undead, Vampire / Necro
Elf Month - High / Dark, Elf (Sea Elves) / Wood
Dwarf Month - Dwarf / Chaos Dwarf
Chaos Month - Nurgle / Chaos
Jungle Month - Amazon / Lizardmen
Human Month - Human / Norse
Big Guy Month - Ogre
? Month - Skaven . Orc
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I quite like the XFL format, even though I'm yet to compete in one (Undead soon - right?!), as it is something different. My question would be how the running of the XFL cycle will fit in with the 'tour' that Malthor mentioned in the last GLN. Is it more likely that we will see clashes between tournaments?
Malthor

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately, the Tour will not be ready for the early part of 2007.

Whilst there is no Tour in place, we could probably run the XFL tournies in the 8 months where there is no Major starting, eg 3 a month for 7 months = 21 races, and the 8th month is for the XFL winners tournament.

As for clashes, with so many spots available, it should be less of an issue. If there is a clash sometimes, that is no different to Tennis players on the ATP Tour choosing which tournament they will play in each week/month as there are often multiple tournaments going on around the (Old) world(e).

still disliked all round!
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

running 3 per month would be a bit odd imo, maybe schedule 4 per month (1 each week) and use the time left as some kind of saftey buffer in case there are some delays due to problems that affect the whole site or just to have some more time between the last xfl and the winners round to get the latest winners some time to buff up or simply recover

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I very much like the concept as it is now.

I say no to:
Specialy treatment for some teams (who is gonna decide what team is important??? crap idea)
Earlier announcement - the few days before the start are one of the greatest pluses of XFL. You enter your team, or you donĀ“t. But there are not such powered teams as in the majors.

Good suggestions:
TR limit
XFL Champions tournament of the winners!
randomly select next xfl race

Is there any chance to start XFLs which do not have the numbers of 8, 16, 32 teams? That would mean some teams get automatic win in first round. While this is an advantage (too big one?), prices for winning a XFL could be based not simply on the group size, but the number of games won, in which a winner with first round forfeited would get lower price as one with all games played.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

personally i am not a great fan of first round byes as it just gives some teams a rather big advantage compared to those who do not get a bye, like less risk of losing players, or simply the fact they have one less chance to be eliminatedm but i also hated the fact i had to deny some coaches to take part in a tournament when the next bracket was not reached, so this is a rather tricky point imo

Jump to: