46 coaches online • Server time: 00:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the format, and I see a lot of problems with XFL Majors: Retired teams, inactive coaches etc.

The idea of tiered prices is pretty cool.
Smess

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2006 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I like the current format quite a lot.

I don't want to make this a thread discussing the shortcomings I see in the majors, but the short notice starts at least make sure the tournies are played by teams that have not been pampered up to megateam status for the sake of the tourney alone.

The current XFL's have a distinct value in the ranked tourney circuit because they are different from the majors. Getting to close to the concept of the majors by scheduling the XFL's well in advance would truly make them minors.

Amen!
Synn

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I also think not announcing them so far in advance is a good idea to stop "mega teams" from entering. The main issue really has come down to conflicts with majors. This and the whole fact that there have been long periods without XFLs followed by three or four showing up in a month.

As for the XFL championship..... that sounds a little too "major" for me. Not to mention the practical impossibility of it with certain coaches being gone for a while and other coaches having multiple tourney winners.

I think the 30 team limit changes a lot, as well as malthor's idea for increasing rewards for the larger tournies. In addition, i think the XFL cycle should NOT be constrained to "once a year". Completing cycles "faster" can create chances to do more with the winners in terms of lumping them together while preserving a different feel from the majors. Also, if a coach makes it far in a major..... while knowing there are more XFLs than one a year, it might mitigate the problems of being excluded from one.

Finally, i would like to throw my hat into the ring in terms of running the next cycle of XFL.

__Synn
Idolen

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you could make the XFL championchip a 16 team tournament, where the 16 teams with highest TR gets invited first. I find it hard to see how a 21 team tourney could be settled fair....

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You could beef up the Championship tournament to a 32 team draw with Wild Card entries from those teams that achieved good results (2nd, 3rd or 4th) in the XFL tournaments as long as they are still active.
Synn

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 05:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Idolen......

Fix your signature.....

Evil Influence

__Synn
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Er, since this is a league of Xenophobes, doesn't the concept of a Championship tourney sort of not fit the "fluff." Think about it, would the tourney winners - the most xenophobic of their races - really be willing to jump into a tourney full of those different from themselves? Hmmm... I think not!

/me throws another log on the fire and gets ready for the flames.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The winners are not the most Xenophobic of their race.

The championship if it occured, would be a chance to destroy the other races who are loathesome and fearsome (and infected with yucky germs).

still disliked all round!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not so sure having an xfl winners tournament is such a great idea to be honest. The differences between the teams are simply too big to make the earlier rounds of this tournament fun, and the influence of the luck of the draw on the final outcome is too big.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

just imagine taking your champion halflings into a tourney and drawing the champion dwarves...

especially if the halflings only had to win 3 games and the dwarves won 4 or 5...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I'm not so sure having an xfl winners tournament is such a great idea to be honest. The differences between the teams are simply too big to make the earlier rounds of this tournament fun, and the influence of the luck of the draw on the final outcome is too big.

other point is that let's say you start 1 XLF every 2 weeks.

that's 40 weeks before the cycle is revolved. Long enough for some winners to become inactive.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm aware of all the mentioned problems with running an xfl masters and my idea would have been to make survey among the winners and see how many would be willing to play, and the decide on the format, considering there are a few coaches gone for months and others having more than one win this could narrow the field down pretty much to a reasonable size, and about the halfling/dwarf example: if the coach is afraid of that to happen he does not have to play, so i would not consider it too much of a real problem.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

CandleJack: Thanks for doing the XFL. It is a great idea and a fun concept, thanks for taking the ball and running with it.

No special treatment for "name" teams. The criteria for who is "name" would be a nightmare and it really isn't something that would be conducive to fun.

I am not sure how a "best of the best" would work with Burnalot having 2 teams that won. (There may be others, I just know Burn has Vamps and Necro).

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

those coaches who have won more than one tournament, would have to choose one team obviously

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2006 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:
those coaches who have won more than one tournament, would have to choose one team obviously

If you fall short of 8/16, you could invite runners-up from unrepresented XFLs.

I enjoyed XFL Gobs - for the one match I got to play, anyway. Sad

Jump to: