45 coaches online • Server time: 14:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garax

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I think thats a good idea. Gives everyone a chance to get more development or, in my case, lose more players! Rock on!

Anyway, names. Doesn't Albion have those Fenbeast things? I remember them from the Warhammer campaign they did ages ago. Maybe I imagined it. I dunno... But anyway...

Something like: Fenbeasts of Albion Cup, sponsored by the FCSTT (Fenbeasts Can Sponsor Things Too) Committee.

Maybe have a player win some award for pleasing the fenbeasts with the slimiest play of hte cup.

Thats all I've got. Its poor. I apologise.
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Is it fair though? Two teams will get 5 'preseason' games others none.

Every team will still have to meet the TR cap for their division next season. The TR cap is the mechanism for ensuring fairness between divisions. But, yes - a cup run could do wonders for a team!

Quote:
Would it be better to use brand new 'amateur' teams so as to not affect the league?

If someone wants to set up a new side-project with entirely new teams, they could - but it's not something I'm thinking of here.

Quote:
Also, How long is this going to take? Arranging games may not be so easy over the holidays.

One week per round; five rounds. Strict deadlines (play or pay!) so it would be over by mid- to late-January.

Edit: I like Purplegoo's plate idea - no reason that couldn't be included.

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Garax wrote:
Anyway, names. Doesn't Albion have those Fenbeast things? I remember them from the Warhammer campaign they did ages ago. Maybe I imagined it. I dunno... But anyway...

Fimir?
Cpt_Fluffy

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I like. The cup and plate system is really good too.

And, on the subject of team advancement - there's enough variance amongst the teams already so I don't see the issue. Some three season veterans, some single season rookies; it's a mixed bag already and with a reasonable amount of forfeits every week some teams have played a lot more than others of a similar vintage.

Summary: make it take place!

Please.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll vote for the Cup and Plate.

A swiss would be interesting sometime.

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

We seem to have about 9 opinions in favour so far, and 1 against.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2006 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I fear that some coaches might leave the league when their low-TR teams get thrashed by uberrosters.
BlackNWhiteDog

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Or run it like the World Cup?

Group stages first with a open round robin system. 4 teams per group means you get a chance at 3 games.
Top one or two qualify for the knockout stages.

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

BlackNWhiteDog wrote:
Or run it like the World Cup?

Group stages first with a open round robin system. 4 teams per group means you get a chance at 3 games.
Top one or two qualify for the knockout stages.

I don't mind the World Cup idea - but I do mind 'open'. I have experience of playing in open tournaments, and I find they just don't work. My Elves certainly won't play your Dorfs! Let me keep back game 'a' until I've played game 'b', and try and use game 'c' for recovery. There's just too much there in terms of meta-gaming. I remember suffering in a K-league because a guy with a poor Orc team (by record) had played my nearest opponents chasing the playoffs and simply got fed-up and stopped. I missed out on the playoffs by the points I would have gotten beating him.... Annoyed! Laughing

A World Cup is fine, but it needs a fixed schedule.

Edit: That isn't a dig at Koadah, who runs a mean tourney, I just don't like open systems too much.
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2006 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, a World Cup-style could take a looong time (since it takes the World Cup three matches (half the length of the whole tournament) just to knock out half of the teams involved), and the idea is more to model it on the FA Cup. I think the addition of a plate should be enough to give a fair spread of games to everyone.

At the moment I'm thinking of making it the Fimir A____ (something!) Cup, with fluff something like this:

<i>With their poor depth perception, the one-eyed, swamp-dwelling Fimir were never going to make perfect specimens for Blood Bowl. In fact, according to NAF records, no Fimir side has ever taken to the field in an official match.

Despite this, many of the creatures remain great fans and followers of the sport, and in Albion - in whose marshy provinces live many tribes of Fimir - they are the sponsors of the island's most celebrated knock-out competition: the FA (Fimir A____) Cup.

However, while the Fimir are very enthusiastic about Blood Bowl, their knowledge of its subtleties is more limited: they have little grasp of the relative strengths of less or more experienced teams, so their approach to the tournament is just to match entrants up at random. In the early days this led to controversies when the strongest teams were drawn against each other in early rounds, while a weaker team found itself with an easy run all the way to the final. Today, however, these peculiarities are accepted as part of what is always called 'the romance of the Cup'.</i>

Edit: Thinking about it, it might well be possible to allow friendlies after the cup (but not for those teams who reach the semis, say), the important thing would be that they didn't happen before (as that slows things down across the board).

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2006 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like a bit of fun, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be available to play the games.

Do you have any approx dates when you're be running it.
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2006 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

PistolPete wrote:
Do you have any approx dates when you're be running it.

From the end of this season (17th December) to the start of the next (mid- to late-January).
rikswales

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2006 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to this. I am very eager for some White Isle action over christmas and am very much in favour of the Cup leading into a plate idea. I just hope people bother playing! (Sorry, I am an angry coach just off of 2 forfeit 'Victories' in a row.) But yes, please make this happen. Should be good fun.
pac

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2006 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, the cup will go ahead straight after the league season is finished. I just need to get a list of the coaches who won't be involved. Basically, I need to get at least 8 (so that we just enter a field of 32). If there are then more than that, well, someone will get a bye.

So far, not in the cup will be:

Tophat - long since resigned from the league anyway
dontcallmeflossy! - resigned from league
dazedbongo - will quit his woodies and replace them with something new in the next league season

… plus four as yet unconfirmed play-off contestants.

So in fact that's enough already - unless there are a <i>lot</i> more, and I should reduce the field to 16.

Edit: Jock is back in, although he won't be able to play the first round, so will go straight into the Plate unless he gets a bye. We have enough inactive coaches anyway that it won't be hard to get down to 32 though …

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2006 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Top post updated.
 Jump to: