37 coaches online • Server time: 13:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a laptop with vista on it, and I can't get javabowl (the old lrb 4 client) to work on it.

When I click on the Executable Jar File the software loads, but I get a medium size box over the top that say 'Java BB setup', this box is empty. When I close the box the programme closes as well.

Is this a Java issue? Do the most modern Java's not work with the old 8.8? or is it a Vista thing. It could also be winrar as that wished to get involved in the opening process.

When I try to right click and open it with Java I get the message "The original splash image is either corrupt, missing or changed, please replace the original splash image and restart". This happens with any version (8.0 upwards, and no matter whether I downloaded it or copied it from a computer it works on).

Anyone still using this client and is having problems or knows what my problem is?

I would be grateful for any advice.
Kelkka

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea, but one thing springs into mind.
When you first open the executable, right click it and select "run as administrator".

Vista/Win7/Win8 restrict priviledges of the software as default. And sometimes you need to install it as admin for it to be able to alter registry etc.

Don't know if this will help you, but just something I have ran into myself few times.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

are you trying to open it straight from winrar? or have you moved all the contents from winrar on to your desktop or in a folder?

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It's all in a folder on my desktop. If I right click I don't get the administrator option, is this for a fresh download?

Are you still using javabowl with the latest(ish) java Garion?
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried moving the folder from the desktop to an ordinary folder on C: or D: ?

Last edited by koadah on %b %08, %2012 - %11:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't think you could move to the C drive with vista, it becomes 'hidden'. I tried moving it to 'documents' but again, I couldn't find it doing that.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

no, i havent re-installed since i got my new computer because we couldnt get LRB4 to work here when we tried a couple of months back.

It sounds to me like you haven't downloaded everything fully as it seems parts of it are missing.

Try downloading the original version again then download the last version of java bowl save the latest contents over the original version.

Then try again.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I've tried downloading it a few times, and different versions, also copying from another computer.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I've solved it.

I tried it too and the same happened. This was because i was opening the Jar exe file from the latest update folder. What you need to do is 'copy that file' then click on the original jar exe file and paste. This will copy the latest patch over the original. Then click on it and it should run.

I downloaded PUBLIC BETA 8.8a then PUBLIC BETA PATCH 8.9, just make sure you copy 8.9 over 8.8 a otherwise it wont work.

If you have loads of versions all over your computer now it may be a good idea to delete the lot then start again just to make sure.

Hope that helped. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You've lost me...I've tried what I thought you meant, but I get the same thing.

Ok, I've deleted all copies.

I then redownloaded java 8.8a.
Straight away I downloaded patch 8.9
I copied 8.9 and pasted over 8.8a
Then tried to open it, and still get the box that doesn't have anything in it.

Could you break it down for me. Embarassed

In the old days didn't we have to run javabowl first to get it working?
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

yup sure-

1. download 8.8a unzip and stick the folder Bbowl8_8a on your desktop.
2.download 8.9 unzip and stick the folder Bbowl8_9 on your desktop.
3. open folder 8.9, highlight Bbowl.jar and copy it is (either right click and copy, or ctrl and C)
4. open folder 8.8a highlight Bbowl.jar and paste the other file (either right click and paste or ctrl and V), it will ask if you want to replace the file, say yes.
5. double click on Bbowl jar in the 8.8a folder and it should work. note the splash screen will say 8.9 in the top corner.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

oh also you can delete the 8.9 folder after replacing the Bbowl file in 8.8a.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Sad This is what I did. I still get a box with say's javabowl set up, which is empty. It doesn't matter what version or patches I use. I also have noticed the options nfo file is corrupt too.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

no idea then. works for me :S

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2012 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

so originally you got the empty box, then removing and patching it got rid of it? Also did you download from BBO?
 Jump to: