68 coaches online • Server time: 23:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Calador

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

As some people know, I'm against the whole coach-ranking thing and I must say that I'm not impressed by the new rules here.

Having a ranked division is a great idea, BUT, unranked should definately not just be shoved away into the old tournament division.
Basically this change means that if we want to play using rules as close to the LRB as possible, we have to play ranked. In the new DivU it's possible to make all kinds of teams that are either stunty or experimental. That can't be called following the LRB. You might say that I can just avoid those teams... Sure I can, but my opponents have played against some of those non-LRB teams, they would've gotten SPP's that would not be possible according to the LRB, and are therefore somewhat cheating in my view.
I can't see any reason why DivT should be changed at all... It was good as it was, so here is what I would like instead.
1. Create a DivU... A division like Open, just with unranked teams
2. If people still want to play their tournament teams, make a transfer button to transfer them the regular divisions (stunty teams to DivS, ogres to DivX, etc, etc).

IMHO, and this is not meant as a personal attack eventhough it may sound a lot like it, these changes are simply made because Christer likes the ranking system very much and is, more or less, trying to force us all into playing using it... But it's not something that's in the LRB, so why should we be forced using it in a division that was made with the intent of keeping as close to the LRB as possible ?

Thumbs up for Mnemon for moving all his teams immediately.

Regards,
Brian, aka Calador
-- Nunc ille est magicus --
Freefragger

Post 8 Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree, also forcing people to play teams max 40 str away is also changing the rules from LRB,
hate it, hate it, hate it.
Mostly due to not knowing the rule (as it is not in LRB, and I don't always read the news posts) and therefore not getting a game with my WE against some flings.... I had 7 3/4 players....
not getting the game is one thing, I can live with that, sure it was nice spp, but just the idea of violating the rules,
well, a Christer rule, due to not being posted so I had to seen it... Grrr, might just be me, but people not reading the news all the time and not being here 24/7 has no chance of keeping the rules, despite wanting to... What happened to the block of overview untill you have agreed to read and follow the new fumbbl rules???
Might just be me being grumpy....
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 23:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Christer likes the ranking system very much and is, more or less, trying to force us all into playing using it

Yes, I like the ranking system. Does it take anything away from you? No. Does it conflict with the LRB ruleset? No. If you really don't care about ranking, but want to play in an environment without non-conformat rosters, choose R, L or F to play in. Or you could create your own LRB compliant group in U, only allow in proper races and restricting teams from playing outside the group.

Most of the people who dislike this change is claiming that ranking gives others a reason to decline games with "You're too good" or "You're not good enough". I can't understand why you can't accept people declining games for whatever reason they want. I mean, there's no difference to those two arguments compared to "I don't play dwarfs" or whatever.. Bottom line is that the opponent did not want to play and in an open format, you HAVE to respect that or it wouldn't be an open format.

Quote:
Thumbs up for Mnemon for moving all his teams immediately.

This is obviously a troll comment, but I'll bite and reply anyway.
I find this comment quite narrow-minded. Mnemon is completely free to transfer all his teams if he wants to, but why should this be cheered upon? Would he be worse off if he chose to stay in R?
boobis

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

But still, the possibility of getting more play in U so you can find games (and new higer TR torneys) for your favourite torney-team after the "death" of their previous torney is very nice.

Hopefully, you could start having torneys in all unranked divisions, and if divX gets unranked you can make divU LBR-compliant and still setup torneys featuring all different teams (thoug not in the same torney).

So thats what i'm hoping for. LRB compliant U and R, and torneys in all unranked divisions ...
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2004 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I still don't get why it makes any difference for the game you are playing how your opponent got his spp. It is an issue in a competitve ranked league. I don't see it as one in an unranked one. For me unranked just will be a case to case basis. If I see a team close to my own TR/TS I will play it. And that's it. It is a one off game that will not effect me or my team in any other way then that I play a match with it.

-Mnemon
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Jan Mattys agrees with Mnenon then fades back to the shadows from whence he came.
Cool

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

@Christer
I think you have overlooked the fact that peoplecan't avoid the fact that they have a ranking unless it wasn't there at all. I know from myself that I focus way too much on my coach ranking, so much that I sometimes have played games that were kinda boring cause my opponent kept on blocking 1db without block skill. I have improved on that point a lot lately and started to play good teams and actually realised the reward from winning against high ranked opponents is way better, but sometimes I still can't avoid the fact that losing will cause my rank to drop. So I did something to change that last night I actually went into fumbbl_admin to ask to get my rank resetted and all my teams opted out of ranking, that was when I was told the system was gonna change and that is not possible.
Getting to the point: I am now stuck with a ranking system I can't avoid even though I want to.

One suggestion of how to get the ranking system better now that it is not optional anymore is to let the old games lose value over time (not actual time but number of ranked games you play). This way everyone would converge to 150 if they played games giving them 0 change in coach ranking, that would force high ranked players to take hard games if they wanted to get a CR increase.
My suggestion is to change the ranking formula from:
Rn = Ro + K*(S-p)
to:
Rn = (Ro-150)*0,99 + 150 + K*(S-p)
For example a CR 190 coach winning against a CR 119 coach, with teams that have same TS, would not gain any ranking points. (CR 190 and CR119 would be very extreme since all CR would be closer to 150, I don't think any coach would have over CR200 with this system after some time)
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
I still don't get why it makes any difference for the game you are playing how your opponent got his spp. It is an issue in a competitve ranked league. I don't see it as one in an unranked one.

-Mnemon

Spot on, Mnemon!

If I play a fling team three times in a row with my new humans, sure, I'll get heaps of SPPs. Cas all over the place, TDs resulting from them having no team left MAYBE EVEN an extra MVP from concession, not to mention boundless winnings. Very Happy

But of course, my TR goes up. Idea

I'll say that again... MY TR GOES UP. Mad

so unless you find games by number of matches played (and in open format, you don't), TR/ST is all that matters.

SPPs from any source, whether they are from bashing a non-LRB team like Gnomes, or from wasting some vanilla humans ALL go into the TR. So even if there was a team that had huge amounts of SPPs gained from handicap bonus MVP awards, glitches in the uploading process, direct Divine Intervention. it doesn't matter! because when you are in that channel finding games, you type bb lfg, and you look for a team of equivalent TR. Maybe a bit lower if you think that's a fair adjustment, or higher, or whatever.

Ah TR... is there anything it can't do?
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Can it make me toast?

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care how or who or where my opponents got their SPP's. Why? Cuz their TR will reflect them.

Like posted above

THE TEAM RATING AND STRENGTH WILL REFLECT THEIR CHEESINESS

That is why I am playing Unranked from now on.

I play for fun, not some number that tells me that im superior at a silly board game. In reality, we are all here just to have fun and play a game or 2.

Anyone who plays for any other reason is just fooling themselves.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about anyway. Surely there are plenty of people like myself who are to lazy to move there teams to unranked and who will continue to ignore the ranking stuff anyways.

The only teams I'd think of moving would be my Dwarfs or my Rotters, and that would be purely in the hope that they may get more games in unranked.

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

BloodbasherMasher wrote:
I play for fun, not some number that tells me that im superior at a silly board game. In reality, we are all here just to have fun and play a game or 2.

I agree, and that's the only reason I come on to FUMBBL - I love playing Blood Bowl, and it's fun to play. FUMBBL is a very unique league because of the sheer volume of coaches/games, and as such, the dynamics change a bit. But for the most part, it's still Blood Bowl.

In my opinion, the ranking system is kind of cheesy. I won't get into the specifics of it, because everyone else has already done so and already will. My only problem right now is that open was the division that was chosen to remain ranked; clearly most people have their teams in open. It's impossible to find a game in unranked...

Maybe we should split up the FUMBBL channel into specific division channels?
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Tribble_the_Unclean wrote:
It's impossible to find a game in unranked...

Yeah, I browsed my logs from last week and absolutely none was offering games in Unranked division.

Aint that pretty early to start whining that its impossible to fund games in U after one day has passed since its been existing? Currently in last couple hours there has been pretty equal numbers of U and R teams lfg roughly judgin.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 04:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have teams in both and play whichever gets matches.

Seems kind of simple to me. Confused
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2004 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Not a 'fan' of the changes either. I used to play just for the Ranking, until I realized just how pointless it really is in Open. I'm like Hovring, in that I can't stand to see my coach ranking go down if I lose, especially when you get to a high CR. Paranoia thing I guess. I loved the old Ranked/Unranked Open thing, you could play with the 'legendary' teams in the predominant division unranked. I don't have any ranked teams in O (R) anymore and I'd like to keep it that way, but sadly now that's impossible.

Why not move to U div? Many of the teams I used to play against will or will not not be making the change. I don't "enjoy" playing nasty teams like Blondie, Deathgerbils Revenge, etc. Yet I do like testing my team against them every now and then. There are other 'nicer' teams that I've played against and I'd like to be in the same division as them so that they can get their revenge one day. Smile

That's the main issue really, in that some of the great teams out their will end up split into different divisions. That's the tragedy. Some will move to play for fun in Unranked, some will stay for the Ranking, and some people like me will stay and suffer simply to play the best teams out there. Rough times.