30 coaches online • Server time: 11:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Did I do the right thing
Yes, you shouldn't have fouled the team in to retirement
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
You didn't win so you did the wrong thing.
50%
 50%  [ 47 ]
I am just going to say Pie or Macavity to annoy you.
27%
 27%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 93

Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had a couple games recently where I either had a player killed because I let up on fouling or I didn't win because I let up on fouling.

Dead Vamp
Draw because of letting up

The game that bothers me more is the one against PizzaMogul. I had killed 2 of his players already. I had his passblock/5 agi player on the carpet with a DP in range, and chose to just surround him. I went to hand the ball off and score but failed with a 1,1. Agi 5 boy dodges out and scoops the ball up. I was eventually able to get the ball back (Only because of an interception)and tie it. (Passblock Boy also caused 2 Fumbles on throws, 1 because I missed the passblock and once because I had no real choice)

T8 of the second half I had a chance to win with a short pass from agi 4 too agi 4. Guess what. Passblock Boy interposes himself between me and ball and intercepts.

The whole point of the thread is this. Next time you are playing someone and they say "Stop fouling, there is no real game reason to foul/blitz" you can point to this as a good example of why you never let stop hitting.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Man someone asks me not to foul and im in the lead. I make a point of dropping the best player accesable and giving him a good kick.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, this is a good example of that. I would argue that there are probably thousands of example of games where not fouling did no harm. Like every game I've been in where I was down by 2 with 4 turns left and am not even standing in the way of the endzone (or even running in the opposite direction) and still get blitzed and fouled.

I don't think anyone could have held it against you here, as clearly the player had a big impact on the game, and you might have managed to win and only KO or BH him with a foul. I think that it says something for you that you showed restraint when he'd lost 2 already. Maybe you should've fouled with a non-DP, I dunno.

I think it all comes down to motivation. Do you really think this player could cost you the game? Foul him. Do you have the game well in hand and only want to kill the player because he has +ST and no block? You're a jerk.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Baby, it ain't over til it's over.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
I think that it says something for you that you showed restraint when he'd lost 2 already...

Yes, Meech - don't go changing to try and please me. I would not foul you in times of trouble. I'll take you just the way you AAARRRR-u-aaarrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-ur!

/me wipes away a tear and goes searching for my The Stranger vinyl...

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my story: Fumbbl smack, I am leading, but fail a pickup attempt. All match I had the upper hand, so I didn't foul, especially since the other guy didn't have an apo anymore. So the guy runs past my line with some MA 8 elf. On a gfi he trips. I tell him "Well, now that you can take the ball from me, I need to do a tactical foul" He wasn't too happy about it, but that's the way it goes - if you threaten the ball, you'll get fouled.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Agrees with WitS here. Am sure there are just as many examples where a team had been beaten hard and restraint didn't change much about who won or lost - so that alone doesn't really prove anything.

Doesn't mean fouling is bad, good, or tralala. You just can't predict dice rolls. Might be that one player that you don't foul turns the game ... bad decision. Might be that it just falls over and dies anyway.

Want to be super sure: Foul even when you are only slightly in doubt. Maximize blocks, crowdpushes and what not. As long as you are fun to play against regardless no-one should have any right to complain.

-Mnemon
Manbush

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have also lost many games and blown leads to letting up on someone who is taking a severe beating. I'm sure many of you may be thinking "He's lying through his teeth! He's never let up on me or anyone I know". This is because I no longer will let up, ever, and if I'm given the chance, I'll clear the pitch Smile I don't expect anyone to let up on me, and they don't Smile

I put the liquor in the same bottle his and mine, and mine was at the bottom, and, sure, I was obliged to drink his to get at mine
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a personal taste thing.

I know I'd have more fun if my oppo makes an INT and grabs a TD and then makes a Long Bomb and somehow, inexplicably, comes back to beat me, than if I killed his last 2 guys and emptied the pitch.

I know a lot of people would disagree, and would love to clear the pitch every game.

I know some people just want to say they won, and don't care how it happens.
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I do let up. I've noticed myself doing it, especially vs lower CR coaches. I guess I'm a wuzz and don't want to hurt people's feelings.

Sometimes I lose the victory because of it. Like my latest game with skaven, I'm up 2 players and got the ball after rolling very good dice. Then I just start playing less good, leaving the ball threatened by elves when I could easily have shielded it...and they made the TD.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

While there is a point when the tactics you describe can no longer impact a game's result you were not at that point. If you stop employing the tactics used to gain the advantage in a game because you feel sympathy for the opponent you risk the possibility of ceding that advantage.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

you know what's fun? being the bad guy. You know why? because people will excuse their own behavior, behavior they would not condone if it were being done to them, because they are doing it to the "bad guy". I don't know how many times I've had people grumble and cuss me for singling out and killing a good player, only to play them again someday and they do the same to me.

They seem to not enjoy it as much when they realize I am laughing right along with them.

Stomp'em! Wink

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends. In a scheduled league, too much harm (especially mngs) help the team who has the next fixture against the victims.
In a knock out, you may want to ensure to advance to next round.
Open round robins lie in-between.

MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I try not to go easy on anyone as I want to treat everyone the same way - as such I try to play the same when it's tourney or not, when it's a newbie or not, and for the same reason I try to avoid new players, as they might get scared away by getting treated as I would everyone else. And I don't really want to scare anyone away.

I still think I'm too soft sometimes, though.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The question each coach has to ask themselves- "If it bothers me at all, is 'guaranteeing' a win worth it?"

As with any tradeoff or risk (like a 1d block, for instance), you have to balance the likelihood of failure with the advantages of success, the odds, and the repurcussions of each. If that 1d block skulls out, and your man falls, where are you? If you foul, and foul some more, and kill a few more players and force the team to retire, but win, do you feel better, or worse? If you don't but lose (or tie), is the "morale victory" enough, the knowledge that you took the (relatively) high road?

In a (non-knock out) tourney, the benefits of excessive fouling becomes more complex- how strong do you want that team to be when they meet the next team? In non-tourney games, is The Win still all important?

Some of the coaches above have done what little soul-searching is required to decide where they stand on that issue, one side or the other. Sounds like you need to as well. (Don't look to the crowd, we're all just sheep anyway.) Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
 Jump to: