35 coaches online • Server time: 01:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Replaysgoto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
biscuitbutt81

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2008 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You are a better man than me! The early 200s were a hurdle that I simply could not overcome.

I dunno, it seems to me that the only way to build up a lizardman team is via torturously slow and boring cherry picking, but I'm not a very good player, so perhaps my view is a little off.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2008 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
I don`t see how birthday fumbbling has giving a wider range of coaches a fighting chance in a major. I rather think that it`s the opposite. The gap between the 'elitist powergamer' and 'Joe Average' has widened considerably by the fact that Joe didn`t play 20+ games with his designated majors team on the birthday and has never touched that team ever since.

Spot on.

400 tr monster bashers with a huge warchest are not going to be crippled in a few games. If they somehow lose to some 300 tr elf team, then they are left unhurt and will be saved for 3 months for the next major. if they advance then they have loads of cash to replace players and hire stars for round after round, steamrolling weaker teams.

I wont be entering a major this year, probably not even the FC. I played half a dozen games with my skaven to get them past a handful of high skill rolls and save enough cash for a major, but as I disagree with the fixed groupings in the UI entered them intio the XFL instead... and even I feel bad at giving away 5 handis every game to teams half my strength. Embarassed

Some guys played 15+ games with their super teams and will be strong enough for the next 4-6 majors most likely, while those that couldnt play that day or only had time for a couple games cannot.

Christer wrote:
The WO will be awesome now! - responce to the birthday games.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
The way those teams advanced is actually pretty similar to the cherrypicker elfball style of advancing. The no injuries and no aging is pretty much the equivalent of elfballing and either being lucky with aging or simply being persistant. There is also a point after which skilling a bit more for "free" only damages the team.

You might (read: don't) have a point with elves, but try - in the normal run of things - getting the kind of soft games with a bashy team that will get them over 300 TS and 350 TR. The only teams that are likely to play you at anything like that level are other bashy teams, which means: casualties. This is thus a near impossible task: rendered trivial by the birthday.

No, there is simply no equivalence, I'm afraid.

While there may be a point where skilling up more 'only damages the team' there is also a point where 5 handicaps is 5 handicaps, and you may as well be 200 TR above as 101.

Now, I don't really mind all this so much: I've always viewed the Majors as being like pro-wrestling. Overblown, over-the-top and entertaining in its way. It's just a shame that genuinely competitive tournaments don't get the same kind of coverage …
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
SillySod wrote:
More

I'll take that as a 'No, go on moaning!' then. Very Happy

Hell yes Very Happy

BTW, my own birthday team (vampires) happened pretty much by accident, I was having so much fun with them that they got hideously overplayed. Very good to have 4-8 games like that but on the whole I just ended getting shoved into the top tier of nastiness for no serious gain. It was a fun event but I managed to bork my team within weks of the birthday.... my feeling is that the regular players shouldnt be able to resist playing their teams to death.... why else do you have teams?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %21, %2008 - %01:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Optihut

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

TheSpoonyBard wrote:
Try entering a major with norse, and you'll see the problem.

How about entering with goblins? Rolling Eyes
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2125240 First hurdle is gone, 2 moe to go:)
Alibaba

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Grats Emph Smile you are such a lucker n00b
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, pro-wrestling is about the best analogy I've seen actually. Cheer the faces, boo the heels, and keep reminding yourself it's not real, just entertaining to spectate every so often. Wink
Dominik

Post 13 Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

What a tragedy:
The 1st round game between two giants, Scharfe Biester and Böse Böse, becomes unplayable due to a one week ban of the coach Dominik.

That means that Lewdgrip's uber-monster Chaos will advance into the second round without suffering any casualities and without the need to spend 150.000 or more gold of their treasury for Star Players.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

What a tragedy. Next time avoid getting banned!

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik felled with the steel chair!!

What next!?
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be bad manners to ask what the cause of the ban was?

EDIT: Nevermind, I heard the story.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08

Last edited by Leijonet on %b %21, %2008 - %23:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
TheSpoonyBard

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
TheSpoonyBard wrote:
Try entering a major with norse, and you'll see the problem.

How about entering with goblins? Rolling Eyes

Uhh....

Given that no goblin teams got in (and I know of at least 2, and probably more that entered), I don't see how that does anything but confirm my point.

~Robert Wilensky

http://thespoonybard.mybrute.com/
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Leijonet wrote:
Would it be bad manners to ask what the cause of the ban was?

Thumb to the eye, then Dom's manager with the big boobs distracted an oppo.
 Jump to: