57 coaches online • Server time: 19:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
freak_in_a_frock

Post 21 Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually make blogs on my 'office' day at work, but since i felt that this one actually warranted discussion i thought i'd start a topic instead this time.

If i am right we are still one Box major away from a full set. I was looking at the other majors to see what was missing, and it seems we have no 'Undead' style tournement. So i bring you...

The Necromancers' Chalice

I will fluff it out later (i.e. when i get home)

The main pulling point is the unique prize. When you struggle through and win the tournement you are allowed the use of the said chalice. This will allow you to raise one player that you killed during the tournement. I would expect that death would do nasty things to the player, so it will probably have to take a bit of a knock on the stats and/or skills, also it would be undead (no apoth allowed) and probably lack regen so as to give it a short shelf life.

So before i try and fluff it out and add a tournement style (and put it to purplechest) is this a worthwhile major? Is it worth the effort of filling it out and trying to create? What other unique ideas do you have?

Feel free to discuss, and bring forth your own ideas.

Last edited by freak_in_a_frock on %b %20, %2010 - %20:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
ultwe

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny..

I would change to player that died in one of your games, to give a better chance to the AV7 teams to get a player out of the prize Wink

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

make it abit more random. a roll on a table were you have every killed player in the tourney. that way you can get a very good player or a total crap one. if its just one of the players that has beeen killed during your own games the chance of getting no price at all is rather huge and boring.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Leave the player's stats alone, but give it a negatrait, either RS or OFAB would work.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the random player idea, i also like the idea of OFAB/RS in a mindless zombie style. I really would want to keep in that it had to be a player that you killed though, as it would encourage hunting the really nasty players (like we need encouragement)
Qaz

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Crown of Sand is undead theamed. Well Khemri but dead is dead.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Jester_Spirit

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... what about skipping the Knockout rounds and the team with most kills after a number of matches wins(?) if it's encouragement you want Very Happy
Anyway... I like the original idea as well Smile
+1
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2010 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Khemri doesn't count as undead in my eyes, i struggle to count them as a team. Pyramids and deserts etc are a long way from graveyards and crypts. What race would you rather introduce into a hosting a major?

I see it as :-

Fumbbl Cup is by Humans, which are closely tied in with halflings (no fluff on this, but it seems canon)
Warpstone open is obviously Skaven
GLT is orcs and gobbos, probably including ogres as well
Ulthuan Invitaional is mainly high elves, although it is definitely elf based overall
Lustrian Challenge is Lizardmen and amazon
Black Cup is ambiguous, but has the feel of a human tournament too
Crown of sands is Khemri based
Wheel of Chaos is rotters and chaos, also leaning towards norse and their love of chaos.

So my idea would embrace undead, necros and lean towards vamps aswell. This would leave the dwarf races needing to host a tournement too (maybe change the Black cup fluff since it is very open to interpretation). There probably is another race not represented but i can't think of them atm.
On1

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the idea. Smile looking forward to blackbox in the new client!

i like the random player idea the most.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Sadly the topic died in the way most Blackbox topics do. I too am very excited at the prospect of a FBB blackbox. I think that it the perfect enviroment for the new ruleset, given the that there is a lot more rock/scissors/stone skill combinations. The new ruleset will reward good team building in the box, whilst punishing those teams that choose to specialize. Also the journeymen will encourage a lot more softer teams to try it, and the claw nerf will also mean that lower armour is no longer as bad as was. The main problem with the new ruleset is that it encourages picking to and even higher degree than LRB4, with dwarves avoiding chaos, chaos avoiding elves, and elves avoiding dwarves. The box stops this from happening.

As to the original point, i shall point Purplechest towards this topic for his input, afterall he may already have an idea for the 'missing' Blackbox major.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Geting a ofab player isnt a prize, that should go to the looser as punishment.

But i like the idea of raising one of your opponents players. It would be realy funny if the winner didn't manage kill anyone and get "cheated" out of tbe prize.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

freak, i like the rock/scissors/stone element, i fail to see how scissors would manage a win though? Wink

and yes FFB is a perfect place for bbox! we must force people to embrace and love it!! by making a huge amount of majors in it Wink naah.. let's stick to your idea here to begin with, i hope purple is up for it.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, paper is so under-powered. Seriously, what the hell does 'Paper wraps stone' do anyway? The stone would totally kick paper's arse for getting all touchy-feeley with it. Next time you get into a fight try 'wrapping' the other guy up and see what happens. I can't see it being quite as effective as stabbing some-one or chucking a large stone at them. Bloody 'paper wraps stone' bull, next time i play that game i am whipping out a flamethrower, let's see scissors, paper or rock deal with that mother...
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to disagree on paper. I've had some nasty paper cuts in my time, and I don't think the stone would stand a chance. Whoever said 'you can't get blood from a stone' never considered paper...
 Jump to: