40 coaches online • Server time: 13:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Secret League zombie...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2012 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Aenir wrote:
Just wanted to throw it out there, In the first draft, (which was just brought to my attention) Navy had 5(!) players chosen!

1: Skulland Crossbonies
2: Matthew Pritchett Jr.
3: Jarod Bryant Jr.
4: Kaipo-Noa Kahaku-Enhada
5: Antonio Steele Jr.

Navy may have had 5 players drafted, but only 1 is still playing!
Aenir

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2012 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Mercutio wrote:
Aenir wrote:
Just wanted to throw it out there, In the first draft, (which was just brought to my attention) Navy had 5(!) players chosen!

1: Skulland Crossbonies
2: Matthew Pritchett Jr.
3: Jarod Bryant Jr.
4: Kaipo-Noa Kahaku-Enhada
5: Antonio Steele Jr.

Navy may have had 5 players drafted, but only 1 is still playing!

thats not on me, I got them to the big show, its their coaches who gotta go from there! Smile
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2012 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

We had commented on Navy's prodigious amounts of pro quality players for a program that struggled to win multiple games in a season
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2012 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah... Navy's Pro-prep and Prep-Fael is kinda like art imitating life considering Aenir still hangs out here but hasn't played in FOREVER!!

(Buy dice and come back and play Aenir!! Very Happy )
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2013 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It's playoff time again in the NBFL - Come cheer the maimings and encourage the killer fouls!

happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2013 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Spoiler: GB is going to win it all, just like in real life!

\o/
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2013 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

NBFL Season 9 Playoff Preview

With another NBFL regular season in the books, it's time for the best part of the year: Ex-con's Playoff Preview! Oh and the playoffs. Last season we were pretty terrible in our predictions, with our predicted champion (Nawlins) being upset in the divisional round. However we did correctly predict the super bowl loser (San Dogo), but we can't lean on Kryten's admin client crutch for predictions this time around. With that being said, let the theory-crafting begin!

NFC Playoffs

1. Green Ball
2. ATL
3. Dallas
4. Arizona
5. Nawlins
6. Carolina

While some people have been bold enough to predict a winner already, I will do the dirty work and predict each and every game, starting with the NFC. The top two seeds, Green Bay and the ATL, combined for a total of three losses all season, while Zona qualified by winning their division with a sub .500 record. The other three teams are 8-win squads in Dallas, Nawlins, and Carolina, which gives the NFC a 3/3 split between bashers and ballers. Thus it will be interesting to see which style ultimately wins out in the end.

NFC Wildcard

#3 Dallas POMBoys vs #6 Carolina Black Panther Party

A clash of styles kicks off our predictions, as the bashy POMBoys face off against the ballin Panther Party on Tuesday night. Both sides come in under-strength, as Carolina will be missing defensive captain Kevin Greene while Dallas recently lost their minotaur (which is really a blessing, he's so fail half the time). The POMBoys mostly rely on gaining the numbers advantage and running the ball into the endzone, while the Panther Party has a more wide-open offensive style. However Carolina won't win this game if they can't force turnovers, or at least put a good amount of pressure on the ball, which will likely be in the normally sure hands of DeMarco Murray for Dallas. The X-factor in the game will be how effective the fouls of Carolina are, as well as how lenient the ref is (or isn't) in the game.

Prediction: Dallas 2 - 1 Carolina

With Carolina's best player out, they don't have any true game-changers left, which is what a team needs to advance in the playoffs. And while any elf is capable of pulling off amazing plays, it generally takes an uber elf to emerge victorious when half his team is dead!

#4 Aryzona Cardinalz vs #5 Nawlins Angst

Uhh...the best thing we can say for the Cardz is that the six claw players for the Angst will be wasted on all but one of the rats (well, the claws at least, the rest of their skills...not so much).

Prediction: just kidding

While Zona doesn't have much of a chance at first glance, anyone who's been in the NBFL before knows that anything can happen in the playoffs, including a full squad of orcs losing to two saurri! (And yes, I've literally made this reference in each of my playoff previews since that happened back in season two.) The Angst have been very good this year, only dropping two contests, but they still don't have a true ball-carrier in the backfield. Brees would (and should) take issue with that statement, but he is by no means impervious to takedowns. The Cardz will have a tough time getting the ball loose, however, as they only have two skilled gutters, but their inducements will likely be the key to the game. Unless the team rosters suddenly change, Zona will have 430 inducement points to use, likely being used on a wizard and some extra doctors. But will it be enough?

Prediction: Arizona 1 - 2 Nawlins

It will not, as there won't be many (if any) rats left on the field at the end of the game.

NFC Divisional Round

With the set matches predicted, it's time to put it all on the line and outline the rest of the playoffs!

#1 Green Ball Attackers vs #4 Nawlins Angst

Green Bay automatically faces the lowest seed remaining after the wildcard, which in this (correct) scenario is Nawlins. The Frogs had a remarkable season, winning 12 games and only losing two along the way. They were ridiculously difficult to score on, with their horde of leapers able to get into any cage, as well as their blitzer corps of players that could lock-down opposing receivers. And when things got tough (as the frogs were prone to taking some injuries), players like Charles Woodson would make the plays necessary to win the game (like he did in the season finale vs Dallas when it was 1 vs 5 on the field). Assuming Nawlins is healthy heading into the game, Green Ball will be getting a good amount of inducements to assist them as well, which could be the difference in the game.

Prediction: Green Ball 1 - 0 Nawlins

While it is possible that Nawlins will destroy half of the frogs before they can leap out of harm's way, it is also likely that the Angst will have all sorts of issues trying to protect the ball all game long. While you can't win the super bowl if your team is destroyed, you also can't sit back and hope things turn out well; in the playoffs, you have to go big or go home! Thus the frogs, with their stingy defense, will put enough pressure on the Angst (who, as we mentioned earlier, don't have an ideal ball carrier) to force the key turnover they need and get a score, before hanging on in the second half to secure the win.

#2 Atlatl 'n' Falchions vs #3 Dallas POMBoys

When these two teams faced off last year, the ATL was the only team in the league that could match (and surpass) the strength of Dallas' front line (back when it had three Big Guys), and the game ended in a tie (due to Dallas bs if I recall). This year, the Falchions have quietly had a one-loss campaign that gave them the two seed for the playoffs. Their brutal offensive line is starting to show its age, but the two young blockers they brought in have grown up quickly (seriously, who else but ryanfitz could have six combined scores in four/five games for two new saurri?). However the team is still as deadly as ever, and they now have three quality skinks to harass and/or foul the opposition with. This combination has obviously lead to a lot of success this season, but Dallas may have the tools to upset the ATL: three St4 marauders with claw, lead by DeMarcus Ware. The Falchions counter with players like Stony Gi'bert #51 (ILB), a beast who is one spp short of an amazing 200. The team that is able to win the casualty battle is likely going to win the contest, and the coinflip could ultimately be the biggest X-factor in the game.

Prediction: ATL 2 - 1 Dallas (OT)

While Dallas may have the claws they need to cut the ATL down to size, their saurri could just as easily eliminate the 'rauders from the game. Ultimately both sides will hit hard and it's likely a coaching blunder could doom one side, but a skink is going to be able to escape downfield with the ball in OT to pull out the win for the lizards.

NFC Championship Game

#1 Green Ball Attackers vs #2 Atlatl 'n' Falchions

After facing Nawlins and Dallas, respectively, both sides could be banged up heading into the championship game. With no way of knowing who will and won't be showing up, you have to lean on generalizations: Green Ball will be tough to score on as always, and the ATL will be serving a lot of frog legs to the fans.

Prediction: Green Ball 0 - 2 ATL

While the predicted score looks bad, the game will be a lot closer than it would indicate. No ball carrier is safe from the leapers, but the ATL doesn't play like most lizard teams: their saurri (or even krox) are their primary ball carriers! Thus it will be far tougher than usual for them to force turnovers, and slowly attrition will take hold and a 1-0 grind will look worse after a late ATL score.

AFC Playoffs

1. Mon Ami
2. Denver
3. Pitt
4. Houston
5. Oakland
6. New Angryland

The AFC playoff picture was virtually 100% up in the air going into the season finale, as only Houston had locked up a spot (due to the historically lackluster division known as the AFC south). Oakland had a chance to win the west but fell to rival San Dogo, giving Denver the two seed despite their tie in the finale. Meanwhile two games would decide the playoff fates of all four teams involved, and only three of them would make the playoffs. Going into the final week, both Cleaveland and New Angryland held slight leads in their divisions, but the Bulltrots tied Pittsburgh and Mon Ami beat Cleaveland (terribad dice for the Hounds) and shifted the playoff landscape significantly. Suddenly we had an elf team go from a wild card to the #1 overall seed and a dark elf team go from division front runner to sitting at home for the big dance! But now that the picture is set with no dominant team in sight, any one of the six teams could make a run at the AFC crown.

AFC Wildcard

#3 Pittsburgh Pirates vs #6 New Angryland Bulltrots

Personally, Pittsburgh is the one team out of all twelve playoff teams that I wouldn't want to play. So when I avoided them in the wildcard (and next round as well if I advance) and saw them matched up against the team that I loathe the most in the league, it was a win-win for me! With that being said, these two squads met last week in the season finale, with neither side gaining the advantage on the scoreboard. However Pitt did a fair amount of damage to the Bulltrots, despite the inducements they faced, giving them the edge in their rematch. New Angryland will have even more inducements this time, and they will need them badly with three rookie blockers and one veteran missing the game. And while Pitt doesn't have much claw, their blockers are simply far superior and thus their edge in the trenches could be the difference.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 2 - 1 New Angryland (OT)

Still, it will be a grind for the Pirates to win this game. With so many inducements, New Angryland could pull out any number of tricks, and while perhaps not always reliable (the vaunted wizard can still fail 1/6 times on lightning) they could give them the one shot they need to steal the game. However we don't foresee that happening, and the Pirates advance to the next round.

#4 Houston Texasaurus vs #5 Oakland Elf Raiders

The other widlcard game also features a rematch of a recent game, where Oakland won 2-1 when two saurri were missing the contest. This time Houston has their saurri and added some skink depth for the playoff run, but is missing their krox for this game. With three tacklers and three diving tacklers, they have the tools to deal with the Raiders, but Oakland likewise has the tools (various amounts of strip ball, wrastle, dauntless, guard, tackle, fend, and mighty blow) to fight back. The key to the game could be how Oakland is able to deal with Owen Daniels, who is the primary offensive weapon for Houston. The lizards will also have some inducement help, but perhaps not enough to have a huge impact. Thus the key to the contest will be how well Oakland can withstand/avoid the mighty blow of the Houston blockers and get to the ball.

Prediction: Houston 1 - 2 Oakland

While revenge may be on the minds of the lizards, Oakland has enough tools to damage the skinks and isolate the saurri (though they have a good amount of break tackle to counter with). Still, it's tough to deal with a healthy elven team, and Oakland will find a way to just win baby!

(Had to get that reference in).

AFC Divisional Round

#1 MonAmi Dauphins vs #5 Oakland Elf Raiders

This contest will feature two teams that have much stronger elves than normal (assuming Oakland's survive the wildcard) and thus are game-changing players. MonAmi's Braylon Marechal #19 (WR) is arguably the best player in the league, and now he has Antoine Faizaino #80 (TE) to play catch with. This combination is nearly impossible to stop from scoring, and behind them is a very solid and deep-ish roster for support. Oakland counters (again, assuming good health) with a smaller, albeit perhaps more talented roster on average, but any injuries could be threatening to their playoff chances. Holding onto the ball could be an issue for both sides, but if the Raiders want to pull off the upset, Rolando McPain III will likely have to deal with the aforementioned dynamic duo that MonAmi employs.

Prediction: Mon Ami 3 - 1 Oakland

While Oakland has some tacklers, they will have no solution for the option game of the MonAmi offense, as they no longer have the infamous Richard Seymour Wins IV to lockdown Braylon. While the Raiders still remember the playoff loss last year to Mon Ami, they won't be able to avenge it.

#2 Denver Mile Under Club vs #3 Pittsburgh Pirates

This is arguably the most compelling matchup of the entire playoffs, as Denver has had a great (and evil) season in their inaugural campaign, and Pitt has had a great season after returning from a hiatus. Also, this game is going to be a slug-fest between two foul-happy squads with a few piling-on players on both sides, which is always nice to watch from afar. The matchup to watch will be Denver's two wights vs Pitt's two bulls, as they are the heart and soul of their respective squads.

Prediction: Denver 0 - 1 Pittsburgh

While they will get some inducement help, Denver will have a tough time getting Pirate players on the ground in order to foul them (which is their first play in the playbook...and second....and third). For perhaps the first time all year, the Mile Under Club will find themselves buried by the boots of the opposition, as having a bunch of DP-only zombies is great until you need to throw blocks against chaos dwarf blockers.

AFC Championship Game

#1 MonAmi Dauphins vs #3 Pittsburgh Pirates

I'm not sure why I've got four teams above the 4th seed in the two championship games, as I've done enough playoff previews to know that the favorites rarely all make it this far for a variety of reasons. Regardless, this is who is going to be in this game! MonAmi will be reminded of their division rival Bulltrots when they take the field, and they haven't had a lot of success against them over the past few years (mostly due to dice but still). Pitt will look to deal damage, MonAmi will look to go for the ball, and the game will likely come down to one of the two St5 players (either the catcher or the bull, not the mino) rolling snakes on a dodge late in the game.

Prediction: Mon Ami 2 - 1 Pitt

Wait, did I just predict both of Fitz' teams to win the conference championships? But that means...

NBFL Super Bowl 9: Atlatl 'n' Falchions vs MonAmi Dauphins

Well, this is awkward. Since ryanfitz coaches both squads, he would get to pick who would "win" the super bowl. My first instinct would be to guess that he'd go with the ATL, as clearly he put more work into the bio (or just hasn't redone MonAmi's yet) and would want to make up for their loss in season 2 super bowl after a historic run to get there (and had no team left for the big game). However it occured to me that he would give the victory to Dauhpins in order to rub it in licker's face (the new angryland coach), and possibly jeffro's (the buffalo coach, who won the aforementioned super bowl II over the ATL). Thus our prediction for the playoffs is:

NBFL Season 9 Super Bowl Champions: MonAmi Dauphins

A bit anti-climatic, but the happiest person to read that is probably licker, who felt cursed after I had predicted him to win the super bowl in season 7 both before the season and as the playoffs started (and he obviously didn't). Looking back at this year's predictions, I probably should have started at the SB and worked backwards, as it may make a lot more sense to NOT pick a #1 seed and #2 seed...much less ones coached by the same person. Oh well, YOLO.

I hope you enjoyed this year's version of Ex-con's Playoff Preview, and be sure to spectate the games (even if you already know how they end)! Tune in on Tuesday night to see Dallas vs Carolina around 8:30/9 central, and then Oakland vs Houston around 10 central. Just win baby!

Don't drop the soap.

Last edited by ex-convict on %b %09, %2013 - %03:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2013 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

WHAT?!?!... that's a bunk ending!! You're hedging your bets, Conner!! FOUL!! I call FOUL!

The Carolina Black Panther Party sees some discrimination amongst your predictions. I predict this: we will seize your balls. Shocked
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2013 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm always partial to the Dauphins but I will enjoy watching the playoffs from the sidelines while I wait on a franchise spot or two Smile
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2013 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well at least this season you learned not to pick NA to win anything.

I'm pretty sure that will be the case though :p
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2013 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

holy crap...gnome ad! I was sure he had a hunting accident and went to jail or something. Oh and thanks for boning me X. Now I'll have to get supremely lucky just to get a single win in this postseason.
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2013 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

the Season 10 Draft has been announced and will begin next week gl to all
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2013 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

licker

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2013 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Look at that!

A 6 seed vs. a 5 seed!

And I still don't know where I am drafting!
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2013 - 07:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Late..... thats when your drafting haha
 Jump to: