13 coaches online • Server time: 07:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2013 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the NWFL Weekly, your place for commentary and analysis on the NWFL. I was handling the NWFL Weekly last season, and Azure before that, and we're both going to be contributing this season, although we're not really sure how that's going to work yet. Bear with us!

A brief history lesson for the new players. This is the first season that the NWFL is running with a full 32 teams - before this it was only 16. Last season, in preparation for this growth, a second group of 16 played in what was called the NWFL Expansion - a parallel tournament, with no crossover between the two. We had two preseason champs, two Superior Bowl winners, and so on. This season, the two have been combined, to create the 32 player NWFL that we have today.

While coverage will be light for the time being, I did want to take a minute to spotlight some of the teams that you might want to keep an eye on. Here are all of the teams that earned themselves a cap bonus last season, in either the main or expansion NWFL.

Nocturne Falls Honey Badgers - burgun824

Our esteemed commissioner was the pre-season champion in the main last season. His Undead are vicious, always doing well at handing out CAS. He missed the playoffs last season due to some wacky circumstances (two of his last three matches featured riots that allowed his opponents to score, Khemri dodging and passing with no rerolls, etc.), but has already started this season off by mauling his week 1 opponent during a 1-1 draw.

Staten Island Simpletons - WhatBall

The Expansion preseason champs, WhatBall has put together an amazing array of beastmen, sharing three +AG and two +ST between them, and some nice CWs for support. This wasn't enough to avoid a first-round loss this year, though, as lordchaos' Diving Tackle nurgle warriors laid the smackdown on him.

Joplin Disasters - Sutherlands

The well-rounded Disasters were defeated at the last minute in their bid for the expansion Superior Bowl. They retain a developed Pact team, though, with all positionals except the mino currently in place. They defeated the loner-heavy Har Ganeth Korsairs in week 1, and can rehire the mino if they want. Sutherlands is already in good shape for the season.

Necropolis Priest Kings - Palorrin

The Priest Kings have a pair of very nice thro-ras, but have gone through some significant turnover of their tomb guardians. After coming close to taking the Superior Bowl crown last season, Palorrin has opened up this one with a loss, as wintergreen13 used his Cleveland Men, aided and abetted by Zara the Slayer, to manhandle the dusty corpses. The Priest Kings did score 5 casualties, though, leaving hope that their Plan A can remain intact.

St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals - Garnak

The expansion Superior Bowl winners, the Cardinals barely had to cut to make it under the salary cap. Spearheaded by +ST werewolf Metcalf, the Cardinals are ready to rumble. Despite this, they were only able to pull off a draw against the Detroit Lyin' Lizards in week 1, with some last-minute heroics and a failed pickup denying the Cardinals a win.

Snarkville Smurfs - Iskabis

The main NWFL Superior Bowl winner, the Smurfs were also the regular season CAS champions. This was evident in week 1, as ClawPOMBer Jokey Smurf scored all four of the team's CAS himself during a 2-1 mauling of the Colorado Centaurs. Jokey is one of three very dangerous players on the Smurfs, alongside Papa (+MA Dodge bull centaur) and Greedy (+ST +AG hobgoblin). Even without individual heroics, though, the rest of the team is still plenty dangerous.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2013 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

RobRoyDuncan wrote:

The main NWFL Superior Bowl winner, the Smurfs were also the regular season CAS champions. This was evident in week 1, as ClawPOMBer Jokey Smurf scored all four of the team's CAS himself during a 2-1 mauling of the Colorado Centaurs. Jokey is one of three very dangerous players on the Smurfs, alongside Papa (+MA Dodge bull centaur) and Greedy (+ST +AG hobgoblin). Even without individual heroics, though, the rest of the team is still plenty dangerous.

As an expansion team, getting tossed to the champs to open the preseason seemed a cruel joke from the commissioner. But I've already warned the Smurfs ownership and we'll be gunning for them come regular season.
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2013 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The light of dwarfdom has not gone. Even though you stray with your worship of the chaos gods, brother baelnic, all dwarfs may call the lonely mountain home. We do battle with the lord of chaos this evening, 10pm EST. We shall avenge our fallen and rise to join our brethren atop the leader boards!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=v65ffiQvo6A&feature=related

Enjoy the sounds of the lonely mountain Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2013 - 06:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Gzzzz ikky is showing off hard! 2 games and 13 casualties, and none against his players!

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2013 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Game spotlight: Snarkville Smurfs vs Surrey Serpents.

The Smurfs killed a Saurus on the first hit of the game, causing a total of five casualties on the first three turns of the game... but by that time they had already given up a defensive touchdown. The Serpents had taken advantage of the Smurfs clumping up for a gang-foul to mob the ball-carrier, taking him down on a 1d the next turn to score. The kickoff rolls worked against the Smurfs, with Pouring Rain making it harder to move the ball, and a snaked dodge left them unable to score during the first half. The Serpents went up 2-0 early in the second, and while the Smurfs managed to claw back to 2-1 a riot kept them from tying the game. The Serpents win 2-1, but on the wrong side of 8 casualties. At least they had the cash lying around to immediately replace the dead Sauri, though.
fangbanger

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2013 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Poor coach Blazer,after that romping you gave him and he's going to be hurting even more with several key players MNG and/or gone and then the Green Back smackers roll into. Town lOoking for a change in there BBQ fare ( yummm lizard on a stick!) After the smackers get Done with Him it looks like he'll Most likely have more J-man than regular players for that first game of the Season

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2013 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Game spotlight: St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals vs Snarkville Smurfs

The two Superior Bowl winners from Season VI came face-to-face in Week 3 of the Preseason. The Smurfs received first, and removed a couple Cardinals from the field in the first couple turns, but St. Luna struck back, fouling ClawPOMBer Jokey Smurf out with a KO and blitzing down the ball-carrier, +MA bull centaur Papa Smurf. Without enough players nearby to pick the ball up, though, they could only delay the Snarkville drive, as the other BC snagged the ball and shifted sides. Disaster struck for the Smurfs when Papa Smurf was again blitzed by star werewolf Metcalf, going down hard - RIP'd through apo. Coach Iskabis followed this up with what I can only assume is a misclick, dodging his remaining BC adjacent to his marker instead of hitting with his blitz. Garnak took advantage of this to CAS two more Smurfs and then score.

Good regen rolls left Garnak with almost a full team for the second half, up 11-9 in bodies. Double skulls still hurt, though, exposing his ball carrier and allowing Greedy Smurf to steal the ball. A reroll let the Cardinals take him down and get their ball back, though, and he KO'd himself the next turn trying a risky dodge. The second score was academic from that point.

St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals defeat Snarkville Smurfs 2-0!
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2013 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Game spotlight: Green Back Smackers vs Surrey Serpents

Two of the undefeated teams in the Preseason faced off last night. The Smackers received first and starting manhandling the mauled Serpents, but couldn't keep +ST skink Paris Jackson away from the ball-carrier, and ended up scoring in plenty of time for the Serpents to even things up at the half. They went up 2-1 quickly in the second, leaving Green Back plenty of time for an equalizer... or so it seemed. The Smackers proceeded to fumble the ball all over the place, failing a pass roll, an AG4 pickup with Sure Hands, and four catch rolls over six turns to not score. Blazer moves into first place in the Preseason despite being outCAS'd 0-5 in this game and 0-13 in his last two, and is one win away from being our Preseason champion. fangbanger will have to console himself with his skill rolls, getting Dodge on a rookie blitzer and a second +AG on his super star blitzer Kord.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2013 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Great write ups as always RRD.
fangbanger

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2013 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Great job on the reports, and that pretty much Sums up that last game between the smackers and them stinkin' Lizards, robbed I tell you, I was robbed!

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2013 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my,my
Is it my birthday? I'm sitting in the first seat and I have my tub of popcorn and a tall tasty beverage and wait with anticipation of the game between Garnak and Licker beat the crap out of each other, I'm as giddy as a school girl going to the prom!
I don't even care who wins, as long as they beat the tar Out Of each other!

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2013 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Game spotlight: Surrey Serpents vs Detroit Delvers

This matchup would determine the winner of the Preseason. The Delvers started things off right by killing an already hurt saurus. Both players made early mistakes - Miyuso ran his ball-carrier out of protection and into a saurus blitz, while Blazer rerolled that blitz in search of a Pow, not realizing that his target was the only Detroit player who didn't have Block. The ball was moved short distances several times, but also laid on the field for a while with the fighting surrounding it. Surrey was taking a steady stream of losses, and almost broke the ball free a couple times, but a failed pickup at the end denied Blazer the defensive score. Detroit was unable to connect a long pass for their score either, and the game went to half at 0-0.

Blazer set up a two-turn score, surviving the intervening blitz. With most of their KOs back, Surrey was only down 9-8 in bodies. A massive scrum developed. Miyuso managed to chain-push his ball-carrier through the crowd, but a reroll of Pushback/Pushback left Detroit no recourse when he failed his dodge. A skink grabbed the ball and took off, first away from the mass of dwarves, and then around them to the opposing end zone for the 2-0 win. Both teams suffered some, with Surrey down the aforementioned saurus and also taking -AV on a rookie skink - presumably a retirement injury. Detroit lost a two-skill runner in the waning moments of the second half, and will also be short a blitzer for their regular season opener.

Surrey Serpents defeat the Detroit Delvers 2-0 to win the Preseason title!
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2013 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Preseason pre-ending

With the Preseason almost over, it's time to take a look over the results. Some have done well; some have done badly; some have done both. Let me take you on a tour of the Preseason.

The first thing to look at is, obviously, the top of the standings. In addition to bragging rights, the top three finishers in the Preseason get TV bonuses for Season VIII, which could be very helpful. Blazer's win last night puts him as the only team in the Preseason with 4 wins, and guarantees him the top spot and 30k. fangbanger is currently sitting in second, and is guaranteed either that or third, but the match between Garnak and licker has yet to be played, and can still affect the top of the standings. If Garnak wins, then he will be a lock for second place. A win by licker could propel him past fangbanger as well, and if not, would almost certainly land him in third. But a draw could result in neither of them finishing in the money, letting the last TV bonus drop down to Azure.

Most TDs for: St. Louis Yams (10). Azure had a pair of draws in weeks 2 and 3, but bookended them with massive wins. Look for this team to continue to both bash and ball in the regular season.

Fewest TDs against: Surrey Serpents, Alethkar Shard Warriors, Staten Island Simpletons (2). cyric612's Necros came into the season at fighting weight and haven't slowed down. WhatBall's Chaos have a stupid amount of +stats. All three will be dangerous in the weeks to come. This list may be added to, though, with licker's White Rock Midnight also sitting at 2 and Garnak's St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals at 1 through three weeks of play.

Most CAS for: Green Back Smackers, Snarkville Smurfs (17). fangbanger's Orcs are still building back up after dumping a number of players for salary cap, but are still hitting awfully hard. Iskabis's CDs have been keeping pace, spearheaded as always by Jokey Smurf, but they have also been suffering in return, losing a blodge hobgoblin and their star bull centaur Papa Smurf during the preseason. Lacking enough money to rebuy the pricey positional, they will be playing short six legs for the start of the regular season.

Fewest CAS against: Green Back Smackers, Slum City Underbellies (1). This stat only includes casualties inflicted by members of the other team - lordchaos's Nurgles took a painful loss when +AG pestigor Sexy Time was maimed by a fireball against the Detroit Lyin' Lizardz. Still, congrats to both coaches for (mostly) keeping the other team from hurting your guys.

Side note: how have I never noticed before that we have two Detroit teams in the league? As the guy writing game reviews, I'm not sure if I should be hoping for a lot of Detroit-Detroit matchups for the hilarity, or none to keep my job easier...

Highest TV: Green Back Smackers (185). With no losses since the TV cuts, and several skills arriving, fangbanger has bought and earned his way back up to the top of the TV mountain.

Good luck to everyone in the regular season!
Miyuso

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2013 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I also find it interesting that the most Beatdown team (Most Cas suffered) also happened to be the Winner of the Preason, Surrey!
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2013 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

NWFL Weekly is great again RRD! Keep it up man!