25 coaches online • Server time: 03:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Over-dose

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

asharak wrote:

Also, maybe you guys never encounter this but I'm quite often typing during an opponents turn. A pop-up takes focus and you have responded to it without even knowing what you answered. If that gets a player taken down who wouldn't otherwise and they get injured it would be really annoying. Not that its not annoying for any other pop-ups...

that's a point that i haven't even considered yet but the more popups the less time for chatting! imho another strong argument against too many of em...HAIL the chatty matches! Razz

Regarding the middleworld way suggested by purplegoo it seems like a very good suggestion - although everything that comes from this world is interesting of course...
On1

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

You could make the pop-ups only interactable using mouseclicks.

Actually i would encourage that strongly, mainly because of what Asharak stated.
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

oooh Kalimar how you toy with us, your lab-rats responding to your every stimulus Wink
zakatan

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

blocknroll wrote:
oooh Kalimar how you toy with us, your lab-rats responding to your every stimulus Wink

Maybe he should drop sweets every time someone posts in this thread.
On1

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

or Cyanide?
uuni

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

@On1: Actually the keyboard control of the client is another interesting issue. Currently there are also some focus-issues with it.

One thing that could be considered would be to have all keyboard control actions involve a mute key, which is not used in normal chat typing etc. Most commands are already in the form of ctrl-something or alt-something, which does not interfere with the chat typing by any other means than interrupting the typing. A main point could be in the disabling of Enter and Space in many places - if I remember correctly, Java defaults acceptance and mouseclicks to those two in many places.

I'm sure those issues will be dealt with given time.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe. christmas cookie crumbs Smile

well, I'm not toying with you but I need to verify my assumptions. perhaps I do see problems where there are none. there is a popup but no one cares about the delay, or it is the other way round and everyone just hates it, etc.

right now I can't promise which way it will be in the end. but I kind of like the "popup, but limited to when it really makes sense" option.
SinodyneSedan

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Training players to fail is something only the detroit lions can do expertly, and they haven't written a guidebook on it yet.

I think the fans would invade the pitch if they saw bloodbowl players diving. It takes a quite talented player or bribe to dive convincingly.

It's like giving a frenzy player the option of whether to frenzy or not.

Strip ball? wah? If a guy is drilled day after day to tackle in such a way as to maximise his chances of stripping the ball, well, then he'll tackle in such a way as to maximise his chances of stripping the ball.

Having said that..the chances of a player wanting to shadow or tackle a c&b player are slim I think.
It takes training for a player to know and remember he doesn't want to get pushed ina certain direction. Train him to sidestep, the player should not have an automatic option.

Aside from that, gone would be the days of running off to switch the kettle on during the other guys turn.

If it is to be implemented as an optional, just add a third option to the login screen.. password, gamename, start new game, list open games, options. Then players can choose whether or not they want popups all day. Still it strikes me that the tv of all optional use skills should go up, rather it strikes me as unreasonable, but that would be some restitution to the other skills, talents & values.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2010 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
You could make the pop-ups only interactable using mouseclicks.

Actually i would encourage that strongly, mainly because of what Asharak stated.

Hm, actually the keys were my only save heaven... there is always a chance there is a glitch in the movement of the mouse and i end up on the wrong space... but I can avoid this trouble by just hitting a key... besidest that it's faster and I don'T have to worry so much.
Maybe really use a key that's outside of regular use?

For all the poeple who have missed the SOLUTION:
Kalimar suggested to just pack all the popups during one block in a single screen. I think that's a very good step in the right direction but doesn'T solve the problem that you have to click at all.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Can it be done where pop-ups could be toggled on/off during the match?

In a situation where dodge could cause problems... toggle optional use on. Out of danger... toggle it back off.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think this will be as big a problem as some people seems to think. Its 1/6 of every block. And most rounds there aren't that many blocks being made. And if you have made a 2-3d block select pushback instead if you can to speed stuff up.

Just add a noice so that players doing something else will react and it will be fine. Altough when this topic was brought up I also realised that block also should be optional according to the rulebook. But on the top of my head I cant come up with why I would'nt use it.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotte wrote:

Altough when this topic was brought up I also realised that block also should be optional according to the rulebook. But on the top of my head I cant come up with why I would'nt use it.

Similar situations such as with dodge: when there's a threat of crowdsurf or chain-push OTS. For example, a player next to the side line blocking an opposing player would often rather go down than stay up with block and get surfed next turn.
PainState

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no possible reason to not use dodge skill, it is allways on.

WHAT? stop chainpushes and surfs and such like that?

BAH!!! its all the coaches fault for putting his pixels in harms way and he obviously failed the team with his insight and forsight on the match.

What? Elves and zonz have dodge?

Well so what? deal with it...back to square one and a coach who obviously is not "seasoned" enough to be guiding a FUMBBL Blood Bowl team.

NO pop ups for the passive player.

IF there are pop ups for the passive player during a turn he has 15 seconds to make a choice or the active player chooses for him.

Well in TT.... Bah to the chaos wastes with the TT argument....so are you saying during that critical turn 14 of a TT game and your opponeet goes to the "head" to not watch your domination you would not be annoyed and what to DP foul you opponeet because he had to be active in you turn to move all his sidestepping and dodging elves? Dont bring back the horror of numerous TT gamers into the internet world.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of talk about the odds of dodge coming up on the block dice and all that...This discussion is really only about a very slim scenario that actually plays out on the pitch. Maybe once in 20 games or so does that scenario of a chain push become reality. Dont even worry about.

Make dodge a permanant function and move on.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Over-dose wrote:
@ Koigokoro: I'm sticking to my opinion: i love BB especially because it's a fun and relaxed game and because the community is mostly like that...you got so many young father's playing here or people that might need a break every now and then if someone's knocking at your door or landlady needs assistance or whatever...

deceleration is the keyword here! Very Happy

feel free to blacklist me(or other coaches) who like to play a slow match (most of my matches last about 1:20, which is not too bad imho anyway)....

Hehe, I don't blacklist people, I write tickets when someone breaks the rules agreed beforehand, and 1:20 is very ok.

I'd be (and am!) playing BB even without time limit, but I find the game better with 4 minute rule enforced.

My point is only that if you're already going for 4 minute turns, 5 seconds is very much time for such a choice. Make it 10 or 20 seconds if you don't find 5 seconds more than enough. Just that the game shouldn't pause around a choice that's most of the time "Yes please, why are you even asking me".

Lag is a very good point though. The cases where this hurts would be so rare that I might be all in for the guys "playing from igloos" just taking the hit.

Edit: If you have skills that require your attention and deciosions during opponents turn, it's not ok to randomly wander away from computer and expect everything to run smoothly.
 Jump to: