35 coaches online • Server time: 11:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

playing with and against dwarves is everything but boring.. except when you get decimated to 3 players but that is always boring no matter against what team..

the dwarf coach has to keep his players in a compact format so his ball carrier does not get exposed.. and the opponent has to find ways to make him spread.. or just foul the bearded gnomes to outnumber them..

everyone who thinks playing against dwarves is boring simply has no clue how to play against them.. sure at tr 250 with guard an mb all over the place it gets nasty.. but still.. like in every matchup you just have to find a way around their strengths..

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
I avoid playing dwarves. Not because they are ridiculously overpowered at lower TR levels, but rather because they are so dreadfully boring. Dwarves only have one functioning strategy. Form a cage and then slowly spend the entire half inching it across the table to eventually get a TD.

You always hear the same argument for chosing dwarves too. "I wanted to win." Not that they are fun to play or anything, just that they win. Yuck...

Well, is it Dwarves that win tournaments permanently? If not, they seem to have their weaknesses.

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:

everyone who thinks playing against dwarves is boring simply has no clue how to play against them.. sure at tr 250 with guard an mb all over the place it gets nasty.. but still.. like in every matchup you just have to find a way around their strengths..

More likely, different people have different ideas on what is boring and what is interesting.

If anything, knowing how to play them may even make the game more boring Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Well, is it Dwarves that win tournaments permanently? If not, they seem to have their weaknesses.

Stormbringer

Dwarves definately have their weaknesses, the lack of speed being the most evident. That doesn't make them more fun to play though.

I also hate the FF 1 buffed up Dwarf teams that have totally ruined the Royal Rookie Rumble. Not because they always end up winning (which they don't), but because they discourage people from entering with other than non-bashy teams. If they at least would be built to have a future that would be one thing, but the ones that are just meant to win the tournament and then be retired no matter what is just despicable in my view.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
playing with and against dwarves is everything but boring.. except when you get decimated to 3 players but that is always boring no matter against what team..

the dwarf coach has to keep his players in a compact format so his ball carrier does not get exposed.. and the opponent has to find ways to make him spread.. or just foul the bearded gnomes to outnumber them..

everyone who thinks playing against dwarves is boring simply has no clue how to play against them.. sure at tr 250 with guard an mb all over the place it gets nasty.. but still.. like in every matchup you just have to find a way around their strengths

I'm not a power gamer though, so me enjoying a match or not doesn't only revolve around if I win or lose. Even if I win it has likely been a slow paced and uneventful match compared to most others and that ends up with me having spent X amount of time on doing something I didn't really enjoy...and seeing how this is a game played for amusement you have the very rational reason for why I chose not to play them unless I have to.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Quote:

Stormbringer

Dwarves definately have their weaknesses, the lack of speed being the most evident. That doesn't make them more fun to play though.

I also hate the FF 1 buffed up Dwarf teams that have totally ruined the Royal Rookie Rumble. Not because they always end up winning (which they don't), but because they discourage people from entering with other than non-bashy teams. If they at least would be built to have a future that would be one thing, but the ones that are just meant to win the tournament and then be retired no matter what is just despicable in my view.

In that case people are too easily discouraged - unless you're playing amazons or stunties you should be more worried about facing Norse as they are faster and can throw more punches and will easilier get a DP. True - dwarves are ressillient and reliable and will stand the test of time better but that doesn't make them more bashy till they get guard and MB which no buffed up dwarf team has if it's new.

Though I grant that the more players you have on the field the easier any game gets.
Lorion

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I can hardly get games with any teams anymore.....

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Even if I win it has likely been a slow paced and uneventful match compared to most others and that ends up with me having spent X amount of time on doing something I didn't really enjoy...and seeing how this is a game played for amusement you have the very rational reason for why I chose not to play them unless I have to.

Slow paced and uneventful matches against Dwarves? Not necessarily. Just because your opposition is slow, doesn't mean the match will be. For your consideration: this match.

And here's another one where I had the Dwarves, and Candlejack, in fact, was the opponent. That game was a lot of things … but not dull! (Replay is a bit broken, so you don't get to see quite how many blitzes the DEs got. Wink)

Last edited by pac on %b %09, %2007 - %15:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The only way a match against Dwarves is likely to be boring is if their opponent does exactly what they want them to. That is, the Dwarves kick, their opponents score in 2 or 3 turns, and then the Dwarves play two long scoring drives, 6 or 7 turns then 8 turns.

So: don't do this. Leave the Dwarves just 3 or 4 turns to score in the first half, and you may find that things get more interesting. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I would suppose it's just that ppl want their teams to survive. Playing dwarves isn't really my problem though, since I play mostly stunty and haven't seen that many dwarves in faction. Besides, I like to pick on them orcs in faction.
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
I would suppose it's just that ppl want their teams to survive.

There's an easy way to ensure that all your players survive: leave them in their box and never put them on the pitch.

I'd like to believe that most coaches have a bigger ambition for their teams than just keeping their players alive …
Lorion

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
odi wrote:
I would suppose it's just that ppl want their teams to survive.

There's an easy way to ensure that all your players survive: leave them in their box and never put them on the pitch.

I'd like to believe that most coaches have a bigger ambition for their teams than just keeping their players alive …

How does that fix me not being able to get games at all??? Just had orcs with 4 tackle refuse to play my delf....

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorion wrote:
How does that fix me not being able to get games at all??? Just had orcs with 4 tackle refuse to play my delf....

I think that's got more to do with your CR …

(Yeah, you have really high CR, and only at the moment run only really good lists in Ranked (except Necros). Run a Vampire team too, run some Goblins. Your CR will fall a bit, and it'll be easier to get games - and you'll have fun too! Very Happy)
Forteza

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure and when you dont know how to handle them it gets boring, can you blame people not wanting to play if they dont find it fun?
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2007 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Forteza wrote:
Sure and when you dont know how to handle them it gets boring, can you blame people not wanting to play if they dont find it fun?

And if you never play them, you'll never learn how to.

There's no blame here. Taking on a team which you know is tougher and stronger than your own is just a part of the game which many miss out on.

Jump to: