78 coaches online • Server time: 21:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Twahn

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I deliberately opted for the draw in last season's Premier against German Vermin because I knew the draw would put me on equal points with them and I'd get through by countback. Cheap trick.

But I think we're digressing...

I think encouraging the win at all costs is definately worth encouraging. If the general consensus is with chunky's model up there (the 5:2:0:-1 rather than the 5:2:1:0) I'm happy with that. It's a step away from encouraging wins, but they are still encouraged. So long as a win is worth more than 2 draws and we don't score based on TD/CAS figures (aside from the tiebreakers, which are pretty unavoidable unless people want to flip coins (which is probably fairer, but less rewarding)) I'm a happy man.

Them Soccer boys know where it's at I tells ya. Encourage the win! Smile

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
FLo711

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Tis true I have played for the draw many a time, usually from a strategic standpoint. Boo all you want Mad I also stall and foul tactically so there!!! Twisted Evil

But i digress, personally I have always though that the draw wasn't worht enough in our little league, I think 'playing for the win' is great but so is 'defending your slender lead'.

I have though the points sytem should follow this 7 (possibly 8 ) for a win, 3 for a draw and 1 for a loss, 0 points for a forfeit. This ensures that a win is still worth more than a draw, but that a draw is also worth much more than a loss, which i think is the current problem with the scoring system.

However like satan, I'll play in whatever scheme ya'all decide on, but I think its worht talking about as if most of us think a draw should be worth more, then well it probably should.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, it wasn't a boo...it was a grudgingly made compliment for a well thought out move Wink

It does illustrate though, that playing for the draw isn't completely written out of the equation whilst having a win encouraged as things stand.

I reckon draws are good at two points and shouldn't be worth (proportionally) any more in comparison with the win at 5pts. But I do concede that they should probably be made more valuable than the current value of a loss. Perhaps a 5-2-0 (-1 for forfeits) would be better?

Cheers,
Snorri
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

And what is this? Is this some form of consensual democratic society?

I am the true Overlord of the SWL and you shall all kneel beneath my iron shod boots!

And if you don't, I will get very annoyed! And I will sulk in my study here in front of my computer until my wife tells me it is time to turn it off and do the dishes!

So there!

Razz
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to see our mighty leader is all grown up and doesn't require the power plug to be pulled on him!

Also got Bob doing keyword lfg searches.

swl lfg <keyword>

where <keyword> is any part of the Team name (e.g. <keyword>="ton Unit" would successfully find Carlton United for Twahn). Remember its case sensitive!

Also be patient with him, stuck down under someone's desk with no monitor to watch the world (maybe fortunate there - he doesn't have to put up with watching OB's ugly noggin all day) and no interface in some forgotten land down under means he's a bit laggy.

Currently got a couple of ideas germinating on how to cache the required web pages in an intelligent way while he's not doing anything else, so maybe soon I can get rid of that delay.

Enjoy!
Snorri.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually Clay when I referred to having thought it had been agreed agreed upon I was talking about we admins as we plot world domination from our Submarine Canoe in that Volcano Island int he Caribbean.

I may have to look through my email archives - Nah! they're too damn big.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Bob not only learning, but getting faster! Very uncharacteristic for a Bob. Reckon he might soon be eligible for a position on the Krasherz team.

Use "swl help" in IRC for a summary of what he can do.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Update

Round 5 has been completed with the forfeiting of the unplayed Regional Match.

This now means we are into the Final Fortnight of Season 11.

You should now really be thinking ahead to next season... if you wish to retire your team, you may enter the TR100 Draft. Please let us admins know via emailing us at swladmin@hotmail.com and submitting a list of preferred races.

If you are entering the Draft, you really should consider entering the TR 100 KnockOut in which the winning team will be granted first draft pick.

Due to technical difficulties, this is a bit late in getting started, it will be starting soon (ask Snorri). If you are unsure of your position re the draft, then you should enter anyway just in case. Smile

Thanks,
Clay
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

TR100 KO is up and running!

Clay is too kind...I'm not sure the antics of senile admins falls under the umbrella of 'technical difficulties' Wink

As for the tourney, there are a few fillers to make up the numbers for a ko. It's a random draw, so its possibly a little unbalanced, but that's the luck of the draw! (would have liked to spread out the fillers a bit more, but not keen on venturing into replacing teams and running into all the problems we had last season).

First round due this Monday night!

Luck!
Snorri.
Smegish

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the moment you have all been waiting for, Pro Bowl season 10 is finally going to be played! Snorri and I have finally sorted it all out

You can find all the rosters and the draw here: http://www.snorriheim.com/swl/10/pro/pro.html

So Snorri, Miyuso, Twahn and Fool, lets us all know when these games will be played so we can all spectate Smile

Edit: due to RL commitments Sandune cannot play the Pro bowl, so Miyuso, being the next coach on the list, will coach the Conference team in his stead.

Last edited by Smegish on %b %24, %2005 - %07:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
gumbi

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Saturday AND Sunday nights are free for crazy action!

If the SWLers are interested I will hold a swl bbq (incl. ppl who arent going to moab) on one of the nights. However due to the domestic situation at my place people without bookings can't crash (unless desperate), however some say its a fairly nice spot for a bbq, and it isnt that far by car to other places. I need to notify my family so this needs to be pre-planned.

It would be good if someone asked the teabaggers what they were planning, if people want to hang with them.

Any other suggestions?
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Its hard to get in contact with the Teabaggers, but I would imagine they will be wanting to go out.

I know I'll definitely be watching the NRL Grand Final on the Sunday, and will be in a bit of a rush as it starts at 6:30.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Bob update.

- Coach and team name keywords are now case insensitive.
- Fringe page (the one used for 'swl lfg fringe') is cached whenever match reports are done. This means that sometimes your team stats wont update with your next 'swl lfg fringe' call if your team had skills pending immediately after the match. This will automatically take care of itself next match report.
- If you can't wait for that, I've got 'swl lfg cache' updating both your coach page *and* the fringe page now.
- Bob also resides in #tinshed if you want to mess around with him without spamming up #swl.

Cheers,
Snorri
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Admin,

The SWL Policy document spells out clearly what SWL's attitude is regarding Extensions, Forfeits and Dropouts. Is there an official SWL policy regarding conceding matches? If so what is it? If not, could you please clarify which circumstances justify conceding a match in your opinion, or is it acceptable for Coaches to concede at any point they see fit?

Please note, I am not lobbying for a crackdown on concessions, or the opposite. Instead, I ask that there be official documentation regarding this issue, spelling out SWL's attitude toward conceding matches.

Symm.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

If the policy document is silent on a particular subject then the rules of the fumbbl site apply.

Coaches may concede at any point although there are consequences in doing so... if a coach wants to take on those consequences, then so be it. The scores shall be 5 pts to the winner, 1 to the loser.

In fact fumbbl does not have a facility to alter the pts spread in the event of a conceded win / loss.
 Jump to: