22 coaches online • Server time: 03:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2007 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Well he did use the apoth for one of the slayers and the other one got KO'd (if I remember correctly) so they didn't make it through without getting roughed up.

Oh and by the way...

That was the GREATEST game ever played in the NWL! Very Happy

EDIT+ Da_Tod said it best towards the end of the 2nd... "And this is why Dwarves pick guard as their first skill"... I can only agree with him on that one. Smile

EDIT++ Ok, so I quoted myself instead of editing it... but seriously... I deserve to be quoted more often right? Right fellas? Fellas?

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2007 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, tonights NWL was NOT fun. Why? Well one of the best AG teams had to pay for a win. So a few elves died and suddenly, oh my god the world is ending!
For crying out loud... players die all the time. Suck it up.

The call went out: "AV7 teams can't make it. they will all die and only orcs and dwarfs will be left..." Well when I tried to point out that other (long running) leagues (without TR caps by the way) have had success with low AV teams I was ignored. Not only that, but I'm apparently a noob without a brain too. No, I'm not happy, can't you tell?

I had a suggestion about how we can alleviate the fears some people seem to have of an all dorf/orc premiership and I will repeat it here so that more people can give there opinion about it without being misquoted or bullied. And maybe people will even hear me out this time...

My suggestion:
4 out of the 8 premier teams get relegated each season. This will do a couple of things. Firstly it will make every game in the NWLs Premier much more important if you actually want to stay in the division. Secondly it will create a greater team turn over and there by prevent the Premier from becoming and <i>old boys club</i> full of orcs and dorfs. With a greater turn over of teams more coaches get to try their luck and skill and we wont have to see the same old match ups agin and again.
I think we might need at least one more veteran division to be able to do this though. So that the top 2 teams from each veteran div get promoted to the Prem.

This way, the TR build up will not be that great as half the premier will have to drop there TR after each season and teams need to keep being in the top 4 season after season to keep their TR. Also more AG teams will have a Chance to fill in for the teams that die from attrition.

And finally, having a long term league DOESN'T necessarily mean having long term teams. So what if a team only survives a couple of season at the top? The longterm part of a longterm league is in the fact that the COACHES stick around, NOT the teams...

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2007 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Northern Wastes Jihad-Squad vs. Permanent Plutocracy

edit: Quotes, no quotes, I'm an ork dammit!

Last edited by Da_Todfatha on %b %10, %2007 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
altus_bellator

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2007 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Thursday, Thursday, THURSDAY!!!!!!

Coaches Tautology and Altus_bellator will battle it out on the pitch, pitting rat against reptile in what promises to be a bloody NWL round 4 finishing game.

Coach Bellator has been beaten black and blue in the premier division, but he vows to turn his luck around in the next upcoming game. When asked what his strategy was in playing, Coach Bellator was quoted as saying, "Cheat, cheat, cheat".

After hearing the comments, Coach Tautology seemed deathly afraid of the over powering muppet mice, as well he should be....as well he should be.....
Meech

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2007 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:

Don't make me start giving linking lessons!

Edit: Nice beating!

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:

edit: Quotes, no quotes, I'm an ork dammit!

*sniff* but you lost and diddnt rip the ag6 catcher or any wardancers! Smile

but yeah ripped WE lineman is far from what id consider crippling its deifinetly not as bad off as a mid range dark elf team losing a witchelf and most skilled blitzer in successive games w/o any replacement money on hand Smile
celas

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Seriously, tonights NWL was NOT fun. Why? Well one of the best AG teams had to pay for a win. So a few elves died and suddenly, oh my god the world is ending!
For crying out loud... players die all the time. Suck it up.

The call went out: "AV7 teams can't make it. they will all die and only orcs and dwarfs will be left..." Well when I tried to point out that other (long running) leagues (without TR caps by the way) have had success with low AV teams I was ignored. Not only that, but I'm apparently a noob without a brain too. No, I'm not happy, can't you tell?

I had a suggestion about how we can alleviate the fears some people seem to have of an all dorf/orc premiership and I will repeat it here so that more people can give there opinion about it without being misquoted or bullied. And maybe people will even hear me out this time...

My suggestion:
4 out of the 8 premier teams get relegated each season. This will do a couple of things. Firstly it will make every game in the NWLs Premier much more important if you actually want to stay in the division. Secondly it will create a greater team turn over and there by prevent the Premier from becoming and <i>old boys club</i> full of orcs and dorfs. With a greater turn over of teams more coaches get to try their luck and skill and we wont have to see the same old match ups agin and again.
I think we might need at least one more veteran division to be able to do this though. So that the top 2 teams from each veteran div get promoted to the Prem.

This way, the TR build up will not be that great as half the premier will have to drop there TR after each season and teams need to keep being in the top 4 season after season to keep their TR. Also more AG teams will have a Chance to fill in for the teams that die from attrition.

And finally, having a long term league DOESN'T necessarily mean having long term teams. So what if a team only survives a couple of season at the top? The longterm part of a longterm league is in the fact that the COACHES stick around, NOT the teams...

I merely asked if you had any experience in high level leagues regarding whether low AV teams can consistently survive. Mully asked what was your rationale for wanting an unlimited cap. I did not complain about losing 3 players to a bashy team. I merely pointed out that math will dictate that this happens more often to low AV teams. My suggestions to you when you asked about how SWL does this was to look into it. That is hardly ignoring you. It is asking you back up your desire for an unlimited league with facts. My facts are that most bashy AV 9 teams with tackle, MB, and and DP will lose less players than AV 7 teams. It's just math. All armor and injury rolls being even, AV 7 loses players. Not to mention that AV 9 teams have more access to killer skills In a league that is perpetual in nature, very few will want to play those races. This league is founded on racial parity; it takes a lot from SWL, but it is not SWL. I am sure that everyone will be willing to listen facts about high level leagues as soon as some data is discovered. At the end of this season, we will have our first full premiere data. 4 dodgers, 2 bashers, and 2 betweeners. That will be our data, although I welcome other data.

When you made your suggestion, my reply was something like, "that's not a bad idea." I am sorry that you felt dismissed earlier or that this feeling of dismissal may have led to you dismissing my pointing out that your idea had merit. The only flaw I see in your suggestion is whether you want to try it with an unlimited cap. If the caps are unlimited and half the teams move down and have to drop 60-80 TR, then I could see coaches not wanting to keep the team or not having enough players to compete. This could cause a max exodus of teams. Sure the coaches are more important than teams, but some people like the time and effort they put into the teams and may get disinterested in continuing. I have no evidence for this, but I thought I would share my opinion.

I am not sure who you are telling to suck it up. But if it IS a personal comment, then I suggest you take it to the source as opposed to posting it to a chat where there is no context for anyone reading it. My comments to you were made after I lost 3 players to kills and one to an SI on the first five armor breaks against my players. That was bad luck, not complaining, and not associated with the mathematical fact that AV 7 just does not work as well as AV 9 (oh, and most AV 7 teams cannot load up on MB or, obviously, mutations). I was merely citing my game as an example. Then I and others asked for you to cite your reasons and facts for wanting an unlimited cap. You did not bring up your suggestion until you had spent about 10 minutes saying you wanted an unlimited cap without backing it up. I think the best strategy for presenting a new idea is to bring out your best rationale right away or you risk losing clout.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

But elves generally skill up faster. It's a pain to replaced a skilled BOB, but a WE WD or similar are pretty much decent used out of the box. Recent majors suggest that the elfies have an advantage, so perhaps we can see how this season plays out before we make any long lasting decisions?
celas

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

No decisions will be made without data. It is great to have all of this talk, and yet it will be after this season that any decisions will be made. Most will be minor. I agree with you whitesun, but also keep in mind that elves cost quite a bit. You generally won't earn enough for a new lineelf when you are above TR 200. Skilling them up at higher TR is not a given. Easier than an Orc of course, but not necessarily easier that dorfs/CDs who also start with a few skills.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

<b>The St Louis Hams Win Again!</b>

<i>St Louis Hams 2 vs 0 Channel 4 News Team</i>
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=1635411

It was a hard fought win, but the Greenskins from St Louis are beginning to like this 'winning stuff'

Next up the Dark Elves of the Underdark All-Stars!

bring em on!

tautology

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 05:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Celas wrote:
Quote:

...AV 7 just does not work as well as AV 9...

Agreed that it is difficult, but I certainly would have preferred to play with Woodelves rather than Lizards.

As it stands, you have the best record in the entire league...though I hope to help modify that in round 5 Wink
Shaka808

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

From what i've seen in the SWL past season winners and membership in the premiere league from their page shows that bashy av9 teams stay around longer but most of the winners are tweeners or elfy types. Although I "think" a dwarf team won last season.

And from just general bloodbowl viewing it seems statistically elves have an easier time scoring so by default have an easier time winning (last I checkd scoring more ment winning), Where as an orc/dwarf team is NEVER going to be retired w/o some amazingly bad luck an allstar elf team could easily eat 4-5 bad injuries in a single game. The only way I can see somehow creating bashy team turnover is setting a maximum # of seasons cap on a team and force retire them which will probably be unfun for people and not widely popular.

It will be a fact that Orcs will NEVER be available for any newbies unless one of the orc coaches himself decides to leave as an orc team will rarely is ever suffer a team ending series of injuries. As an elf team id call my league experience a success for winning the premiere once anything else is just extra icing on the cake, Your outlook is more like hit quick win a trophy before your smashed to bits by attrition from the hard hitters then restart from scratch. While a bashy teams outlook would seem to be Oh well win or lose I will still be here tomorrow and theres always next year!.
altus_bellator

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Foulscumm's suggestion is awesome about rotating out the bottom 4 teams in Premier. I'm sorry I missed it earlier Foul.

I think that would even help the problem of lower TR teams getting promoted into Premier before they should. With a rotation of 4 you shouldn't see the situation like what has happened to my team this season.
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2007 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

As celas has pointed out and umlimited cap is absolutely the wrong way to go with this league.

I have not thought about the 4 team demotion idea much yet. I WOULD agree that we would need 2 solid veteran divisions 1st for this to happen.

I also agree with shaka's point about new coaches not having access to certain races because they were already taken by the 1st coaches. But on the other hand, how do you force a current Orc coach (for example) to leave the league?

Off the top of my head, you could make it that the bottom 2 Vet teams are not just demoted, they are retired from the league. That would open up 2 race spots each year.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2007 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

tautology wrote:
Celas wrote:
Quote:

...AV 7 just does not work as well as AV 9...

Agreed that it is difficult, but I certainly would have preferred to play with Woodelves rather than Lizards.

As it stands, you have the best record in the entire league...though I hope to help modify that in round 5 Wink

That is interesting Taut, as your draft list before the first season indicated you would rather have lizards instead of wood elves. I copied and pasted this from your post before the first season Wink As it stands, Wood elves were the 3rd team on my list.

tautology wrote:
Tautology wrote:
Well, looks like I'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel..
1) Dark Elf
2) Lizards
3) Wood Elf
4) Orcs
5) Undead
6) Dwarf
7) Chaos Dwarf
Cool Chaos
9) Skaven
10) Norse
11) Humans
12) High Elf