44 coaches online • Server time: 14:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Kk773 wrote:
Quote:

I have a daughter who has "blown out" a diaper when I was playing BB. I told my opponent and he was ok with me changing her. If this had happened now I would have no issue losing the rest of my turn. So many of you have trumpeted "RL is more important than the game." Well it is for me too. It is just a game. So if I lose 1-11 actions to take care of my daughter, I am ok with that.

Do I like the rule? Nope, I think it kind of boxes people in and takes away some flexibility. It won't prevent me from playing ranked though.

The thing i talked abaut.
And on an other hand imagine the following: (only theory. Not every game, but like 1 form a hundred.)

In game:
- Dude, big problem, i need to feed my hungry children.
- Then what happens now?

If someonoe supports the new rule, please finish the situation, solve the problem.

Kk

A parent should knowif they have fed their children or not. You should also refrain from playing while the kids are awake. I know I do.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough though...

If I lose 1-11 actions because I am meating the need of my daughter, I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!

She he will always come first for me. If saving my daughter from a giant scorpion that had crashed through the wall meant ripping my computer out of the wall and bashing said scorpoion over the head, then I would. Even if it meant me losing some actions a on a online game that I have donated minimal amounts to play and gotten extreme amounts of enjoyment in playing. It is called priorites. Let me give you a quick checklist on how it should go:
1.) Kids
2.) Bloodbowl

In case you missed it, here it is again

1.) Children
2.) FreeFree java Applet hosted freely on a web site that has no real bearing on how your real life functions.

Maybe I am being a bit of an ass, but so be it. The whining and bitching about this is out of control. Give it 3 weeks and see how many kids die due to neglect. I think CHrister has earned 3 damn weeks.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Reventlov wrote:
Thank you Christer...You have given back my life.
As a father of 2 (4 and 2 years) I can never assure that I can play the game properly now.
Even ONE game lost due to IRL actions is ONE too many in my book.

Thank you Christer. I now can not play the game I love....or maybe I should try that strange U division.
But without CR it isn't the same. Well well, end of ranked for me.

Again, thanks Christer, your real first blunder rules wise and houndreds of people are upset.....

Well well

honnestly, I don t want to be rude but if you are serious, you should thank Christer. He just gave your life back Wink

Com'on guys, let s give it a try and we will see.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL Shadow!!

The principle of "sticking as closely to the LRB4 as possible with the available client" is what the site needs. Use your brain, Christer is being CONSISTANT with his application of rulkes and THATis what this site NEEDS!!!

Think big picture here not little doodles on the bottom of your notepad!

Also if people are not happy with ranked of course the games will go up in Unranked....it is called DUE COURSE!

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
LOL Shadow!!

The principle of "sticking as closely to the LRB4 as possible with the available client" is what the site needs. Use your brain, Christer is being CONSISTANT with his application of rulkes and THATis what this site NEEDS!!!

Also if people are not happy with ranked of course the games will go up in Unranked....it is called DUE COURSE!

correct me if i'm wrong....but this issue with coaches taking more than 4 minutes, is a minimal issue right?...

at least i've seen little to no proof that there is an epidemic of slow playing coaches around....

so again....other than citing some opinionated point of "omfg!!! we need lrb compliance!!!"(seeing as how bb was never created for online purposes, and some things need to be modified to make an optimal playing situation for online purposes, IE: table top doesn't have to contend with lag), please explain to me how this site needs this rule, since the majority of coaches play under 4 minutes in the first place?

i won't hold my breath for a valid argument though...

--j

ImageImage
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems to me that Shadow is always holding his breath....

Maybe he will soon slip into a peaceful oxygen-deprived trance and chill out Very Happy

There is a trial for the new rule so use it and lets all talk about it with some DATA behind us OK Question

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Hayati

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Since the turn limit is up for evaluation, if lots of coaches avoid Ranked during that period then surely the trial will fail?

Your best bet then, if you dislike the ruling, is not to play Ranked until a final decision is made.

This way we could get an accurate estimate of the proportion of coaches who really have an issue. If it is a small proportion, I don't believe you can justify abandoning the rule (even though I myself dislike it Wink ).

Conversely, if nobody plays Ranked then it is likely that this limit will be removed!

Cool

If you dislike the rule and play Ranked during the trial period, be aware that you are not helping your cause!

Finally, let's not forget that this site is free and we all owe Christer our respect whatever he concludes.

Last edited by Hayati on %b %26, %2007 - %20:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
lemf

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Lot of posts here, for my 2 cents worth I have an irrational fear of the change but will go along with it and try to play within 4 mins (yes sometimes i take a bit longer Sad )

my main problem is I cant get version 8.8a to work Crying or Very sad which means i cant play anymore anyway. see you all in future I hope.

p.s thanks for help Angie 2 computers used and still not working Smile
Angie

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Lemf, PM me again. I will go through the install and set up again with you. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

4 mins online is more than enough time end of the day this site is now catching up with a rule that should have been here from start. blood bowl is quicker online allready without the coach actually haveing to move turn counters throw dice etc. so it should be easy to keep within time limits. nothing worse than waiting for a coach spending 6-7 or even 10 mins to finish a turn and you not being able to do a dam thing about it. very frustrating. blood bowl should have mistakes made by coaches in it like all sports all good coaches could make perfect moves if they spent 10 mins planning first but this is not how game should be played. room for error is nessasary and the 4 min rule must stand Wink
Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Russo wrote:
LOL Shadow!!

correct me if i'm wrong....but this issue with coaches taking more than 4 minutes, is a minimal issue right?...

at least i've seen little to no proof that there is an epidemic of slow playing coaches around....

so again....other than citing some opinionated point of "omfg!!! we need lrb compliance!!!"(seeing as how bb was never created for online purposes, and some things need to be modified to make an optimal playing situation for online purposes, IE: table top doesn't have to contend with lag), please explain to me how this site needs this rule, since the majority of coaches play under 4 minutes in the first place?

--j

It is funny, but it may seem like I am for the rule, but I really am not. The thing that bothers me is the excuses people are giving (on both sides) are ludicrous. Tell me one parent that is incoveneinced (I cannot spell) by this rule, and I will show you a parent that is inconveninced by their child. Very simplistic. Does anyone else find it slightly amusing that people are taking shots at Shadow for wanting to keep the game more community friendly?

1.) In 560 games I have played one slow player. I blacklisted him. So stop trumpeting the 4 minute turns as a way to speed up the game. I have played 1 90+ minute game.
2.) RL>BB That means if my naighbor runs in with a flaming cat wearing a poopy diaper while my phone is ringing, I will probably lose most of my remaining turn or all of the next turn. I think I have more concerns.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
Russo wrote:
LOL Shadow!!

--j

It is funny, but it may seem like I am for the rule, but I really am not. The thing that bothers me is the excuses people are giving (on both sides) are ludicrous. Tell me one parent that is incoveneinced (I cannot spell) by this rule, and I will show you a parent that is inconveninced by their child. Very simplistic. Does anyone else find it slightly amusing that people are taking shots at Shadow for wanting to keep the game more community friendly?

1.) In 560 games I have played one slow player. I blacklisted him. So stop trumpeting the 4 minute turns as a way to speed up the game. I have played 1 90+ minute game.
2.) RL>BB That means if my naighbor runs in with a flaming cat wearing a poopy diaper while my phone is ringing, I will probably lose most of my remaining turn or all of the next turn. I think I have more concerns.

I don't think i'm inconvieniend... that word you know, by my child... But I did like the fact that I could juggle both a Faction game and finding water for my daughter. This I can't ensure under these rules... And that I find sad but will accept it and avoid the turn limit in Unranked.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Optihut wrote:
I like the 4 minute rule, but I am not overly fond of the implementation. If the "illegal procedure" approach actually is the houserule part of it as Christer has mentioned, then I guess I have to agree that the LRB4 compliant way is to enforce the turn time limit, though.

We shall see whether this takes the fun out of it, but my guess is that people are able to adapt to this change. If not, then I am petitioning for giving the Rat Ogre his AG 3 back.

Why do I have to see these silly comments?
Ok, the first part is not silly and I agree, if it's LRB compliant SHOULD be there. The second part is.
Problem is that JJ didn't think of Bloodbowl as an online game, and as such he created the rules for a face-to-face environment. Using this "LRB compliant" argument in this case is rather silly, because it doesn't adapt the the medium we are using here. Is it so difficult to understand or to accept?

Is it more important to be 100% lrb or to create a 100% bb experience?
This is the question, and no, 100% LRB doesn't automatically mean 100% bb experience, when you're not sitting around a board with dice on hands, beer by your side, and a face-to-face social interaction with the opponent.

Jan - I totally dig your personna - you are terrific coach to play against. But fact of the matter is - that 4 mins is the same whether online or face-2-face...
Peace,
Soeren
altus_bellator

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you shadow, though you shoot yourself in the foot with some of your wording.

You said it best when you said the problem is minimal at worst. I personally have never had an issue with a coach taking too long of turns, and any coach that needed an AFK always communicated the need and I take advantage of the brief AFK to get a drink or something myself.

In fact, I've had a couple coaches over the course of my fumbbl life concede when they needed an extended AFK for a RL issue.

We're fixing a problem that really doesn't exsist, but it isn't that big of a deal people. You all must be really bored at work like me and just need to post to make the day go by. Very Happy
Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
It is called priorites. Let me give you a quick checklist on how it should go:
1.) Kids
2.) Bloodbowl

I think you would also appreciate that the environment you play Bloodbowl in allows you to go with this priority checklist and still allow you to play the game without losing games because of the way you value the two points.

Main question for me: is the gain we get from enforcing a rule that
a) isn't about ingame stuff and thus in some way "soft"
and
b) nearly noone breaks consistently
bigger than the loss. Several coaches (stupid me, I just really like a few of the coaches that stated they'll quit Ranked) already stated they give it a break.

Personally I can live with that rule. I just like to see a way for coaches that have higher chances of needing a short break during the match still have a chance of playing competetive. If that isn't wanted then it's just ok for those players to leave. So be it. Then Ranked and the Ranked Tournaments will be for the hardcore gamers exclusively.

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2007 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
Seems to me that Shadow is always holding his breath....

Maybe he will soon slip into a peaceful oxygen-deprived trance and chill out Very Happy

There is a trial for the new rule so use it and lets all talk about it with some DATA behind us OK Question

The main problem with that is that many coaches that are against the rule won't play and thus won't provide data.

Stormbringer