13 coaches online • Server time: 06:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2010 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

What about useing Creative Commons pictures with BY(-NC-SA) license and include the links as Whatball did?

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2010 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I can see of Whatballs pics none of them are from Games Workshop, they are from independent modelling company's, So if we show the website link and get permission I fail to see where the problem is as it will have absolutely nothing to do with Games WorkShop.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2010 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Shades_SteelFist wrote:
From what I can see of Whatballs pics none of them are from Games Workshop, they are from independent modelling company's, So if we show the website link and get permission I fail to see where the problem is as it will have absolutely nothing to do with Games WorkShop.

That is exactly my intention.

Now, before I go knocking on e-doors myself, I was hoping that some of the Fumbblers know/are in contact with the companies and would be in a better position to ask permission. I would be sure to leave the website url on the images so they get advertising and hopefully sales since there are probably quite a few TT gamers on here.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Any progress on this?
The client really looks a bit plain without proper player portrait defaults.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If you people want my advice I think it would be nice if we could mobilize the fumbblers with some talents in 2d drawing, and use original pictures instead of using miniatures.

Look at some of Tesifonte's pics: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=15199 or my Hellfishes' new pics: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=yearbook&team_id=144538

Seriously, looking for non-GW miniatures is a pain imho, and we will never have a full set anyway. Asking a dedicated fumbbler or two to draw all the positions for the new client is far more feasible imho.

Just ask "specifically" for 2d art, and I think you will have some people who will be ready to help.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Any progress on this?
The client really looks a bit plain without proper player portrait defaults.

I haven't contacted any of the mini companies yet, was hoping someone with contacts would step up. I can contact them this week. I figure I can do 50% or more of the teams with available minis from the independents if they agree to use of their models.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Mmh. While I think WhatBall's player portraits look really really good I agree that is not likely the way to go if we can't get a full set in any case ...
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
If you people want my advice I think it would be nice if we could mobilize the fumbblers with some talents in 2d drawing, and use original pictures instead of using miniatures.

Asking a dedicated fumbbler or two to draw all the positions for the new client is far more feasible imho.

Just ask "specifically" for 2d art, and I think you will have some people who will be ready to help.

I think JanMattys is right. I would prefer to see drawn pictures of all the teams rather than miniatures that vaguely resemble the correct player.

Hopefully there is someone from here with the time and talent to do this.

I would love to see what fumbblers came up with

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

There are always people with talent, as long as we can accept that not everyone will always agree on the result. (ie. I like my teams fun-looking, while others might like their teams serious-looking).

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
There are always people with talent, as long as we can accept that not everyone will always agree on the result. (ie. I like my teams fun-looking, while others might like their teams serious-looking).

I would like to see your zons as the standard pics.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

There been alot of new pics added to the public gallery since the purge of gw pics. Can't they be resized and used?

I made some pics.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Goblin, troll, cd blocker, bull, bull, hobgoblin, mino & mino.
cmelchior

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I know Christer has pretty much vetoed the idea, and I understand the sentiment. However, looking at the GW policy:

Quote:
Photos of Painted Models

We encourage fellow hobbyists to show off their painting skills by taking photos of their miniatures and putting the on the site. Please remember to correctly credit the IP - "miniature © Games Workshop 2003. All rights reserved. Used without permission - model painted by xxxxxxx"

That seems to me to very much allow the use of painted minis (as long as the painter has given permission - so no Eavy' Metal miniatures).

Of course stuff like:

Quote:

- Games Workshop reserves the right to change this policy without notice.

- The contents of this policy are in no way meant or intended to be a license of any nature.

means that GW can make the use of those pictures illegal at a whim, but It would make it a lot easier to get the new client of the ground with older pictures and then replace them when other material can be used.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:

So long as we retain the ability to customize our own, I view this as pretty minor. If you don't like the standard pics, upload your own. The standards should be clear enough that an experienced player should be able to tell the race and position with no words attached, be of decent quality (i.e. no scribbles or poorly drawn pics) and be generally inoffensive.

Some of the ones in the standard library these days, I love. Others not so much. If I don't want them used for my team, I'll just use my own (and I do for many of my teams). I wouldn't object to any though as unsuitable for use as standard team pics.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Feel free to use any of my amateurish portraits:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=coachinfo&coach=8701#portraits

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2010 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:

Some of the ones in the standard library these days, I love. Others not so much. If I don't want them used for my team, I'll just use my own (and I do for many of my teams). I wouldn't object to any though as unsuitable for use as standard team pics.

wow, i hadnt looked at the standard picy library in ages, there really are some good ones their already. Love the cute gutter runners lol.

I would be quite happy with decent but comedy 2d pics as the default in the new client.
 Jump to: