39 coaches online • Server time: 16:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post What To Do In My Tur...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my, a light read of a 34 page manual just to cover 'the basics'...

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Torsoboy - I'll have another look at the current cardsets (or a particular edition if you have one in mind) but IMO they are a bit harder to play and introduce more concepts that our rookies would have to digest. If you can find an "easy" set that you havent played (or if other people want current sets) then I'd be happy enough to change... but maybe it would be better to save that for a second season?

Cribbleobblepie wrote:

Heh, I just had a look because I'm sure it wasnt that long...

Most of those pages are title/contents/advertising/glossary. The actual basic rules span about 12 pages including some examples and a hefty description of stacks.

I'm happy to answer any questions and play some practice games to get people up and started.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Last that I played of Magic, they had it broken down into two sets of cards. There was the standard edition cards, that had all the basics, and these didn't really go out of date and played with whatever the latest edition was. So from the standard edition you would get your basics, ie, your land, your counterspells, your lovely wrath of god, etc. From the current edition you would get the themed cards where you get the newest rules, ie the rebels, your phasing, mixed color decks etc. If you want to run a sealed deck to get people up to speed and introduce the newer players, you would probably want to start with the standard edition, that way not everyone is learning everything all at once.

I am definitely interested as well. Seeing as its magic, BUT FREE. But I am playing from the EST so I may only have availability during the weekends to play some games.
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Cribbleobblepie wrote:

Just printed this off at work, took forever and looks daunting!

Homework for tonight! Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Learn to read noob - 12 pages of actual rules, as pointed out above Razz

Edit: the Download Instructions page is now updated.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for standard (there is a vote right? Razz). Lots of variation, and ever changing format.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrstandard
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Updated the rest of the MtG wiki pages.

New players are strongly advised to read the Efficient Deck Building page.

SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
I vote for standard (there is a vote right? Razz). Lots of variation, and ever changing format.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrstandard

There is a vote about which set of cards we should use. There isnt a vote to choose between sealed deck and contructed Wink

If you want to use the new cards then please suggest how many boosters/starters people should have and how many packs they are allowed to choose from. Maybe 2 x starter, 6 x booster and starters/boosters can be selected from any of the "current" (standard-legal) sets?

If you really want to play a constructed format then feel free to lobby for it... I'd like to play in a constructed format league but I dont want to run one.

Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Aww... Razz

Ok, if you go sealed, 40 card minimum, either 1 starter 3 boosters (old blocks, starter from 1st set, 2 boosters from 2nd set, 1 booster from 3rd set), or 6 boosters (new blocks, 2 boosters per set)
I suggest starting with a solid block like Onslaught or if you want some more fun Lorwyn (last only 2 sets, so 3 boosters each would work).
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I am all for the sealed deck competitions. Or at least until we get into the rhythm of things and everyone has a handle on the rules. As to how the starters/boosters are distributed, I am pretty open. Last time I played in sealed competition, it was with one starter, and three or four boosters. The min card count was 40. Granted its a bit different when you have to pay for the cards.
Apojar

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2010 - 04:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm down with this. If it's the older sets, all the better. At least I can have a good grasp on older cards! I haven't played in a number of years, so the current type II format is elusive to me, but "vintage" or "extended" is something I could handle! Just give me the ideas of what I need to install/download. This sounds VERY fun.

Also, I still buy Beta singles if anyone has old old old cards that they wish to sell. They would go nicely with my Beta Power cards (can't say Beta Power 9, as a Library wasn't in Beta...)

Apojar
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2010 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the client all set up, and am playing around with creating various sealed decks, browsing through the new sets, etc. Are we going to join the old mtg group with a team to track tournies?
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2010 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Those both look like great card sets woodstock! At the moment I'm leaning towards Lorwyn because I prefer the theme and there isnt a ton of morph/cycling.

justagigolo wrote:
I have the client all set up, and am playing around with creating various sealed decks, browsing through the new sets, etc. Are we going to join the old mtg group with a team to track tournies?

I'll create a new group tonight - might as well archive the old group and link it in the graveyard wiki.

PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2010 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd plump for the M11 and zendikar block sets as they are the only ones that will be standard after the new Shards of Mirrodin block comes out in Sept/Oct time.

Perhaps for the first tourney, we should just use randomly distributed starter packs so that the noobs don't have to worry about deck building and can learnt he rules.

Then after that we can throw in some sealed deck fun.

Oh, I'm in!

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I have now downloaded everything. It is both good and bad that you can use all the cards imo.

Good that you have total freedom for free! Bad that in a constructed world you can just net-deck the best decks.

Sealed looks like a good plan, although less friendly to those who aren't so familiar with the cards.