28 coaches online • Server time: 19:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Thomcat wrote:
Pass block will become very popular (when implemented) in the ffb division.

It will work wonders on:

1) people with Dist. P.
2) people with Tent.
3) people with DT.

Really? You think?

I think this hasn't changed since LRB4. The only time I saw PB being of any use in 4 is when someone forgot about it because you see it so rarely. All of those helper skills that you quote exist in 4 anyway (if with different names / mechanics). And Slann? Really? I've not ran out of good skills to give mine before I think about gimmicks. They don't last long enough anyway!

I think the same rule holds. There is always a better skill to take than Pass Block. Until there isn't. And then, isn't that a lot of TV? Does he not need the boot?

The one time I had it in 4, it was on an AG4 Blodge Hobbo. It was totally useless until you got someone playing CDs who forgot about it and assumed (99% of the time, quite correctly) no CD player would have it. The four or five times it happened, no doubt my opponent panicked for the 3 seconds it took for his player to make the catch anyway.

I don't mind skills that no-one takes, mind. They are the sorts of skills best built into Stars or starting rosters. See NOS and Pro Elves - there's always a better choice than NOS too (this I suppose is slightly more contentious; but it's a belief held by more of the good coaches than not?), but it's a flavour enhancer on that roster.

Same with TS I guess; it's there to take because it exists, but unless you're getting it for free at the start, you'd not ever bother. I f you jazzed it up a bit, it would be too good / expensive for a raft of Dorfs on a starter team.

I disagree in part with your assesment of NOS.
Only in part because I agree it does little to aid your players in their roles on the team in a competitive scenario compared to what other skills you could take.
However, if you are determined to play a Passing Game (rather than using mixed strategies) for a specific team you coach for the challenge of making the Passing Game work having NOS on your Catchers comes in quite handy.
Of course maybe those teams should be Pro Elf teams that already have NOS... but if a High Elf, Skaven, Human, Wood Elf or Dark Elf coach wanted to try the Passing Game exclusively for his team he could/should try it.

The only other use I have had for NOS was as a skill for a Thrower to aid Pickups in a crowd on a team that canno get Big Hand.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
I disagree in part with your assesment of NOS.

Because you are a n00b.
Catalyst32 wrote:
The only other use I have had for NOS was as a skill for a Thrower to aid Pickups in a crowd on a team that canno get Big Hand.

NOS doesn't work on pick ups.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I've given an UW Skaven thrower NOS and Big Hand to go into the scrum, pick up the ball, and toss it out. I'll let you know how it works out...
On1

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

i had 3 mummies with passblock on my khemri team (in the box) that worked wonders Smile.. oh well they only made 1 intercept total.. but they did manage to create tacklezones on different stuff..
Kinks

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
i had 3 mummies with passblock on my khemri team (in the box) that worked wonders Smile.. oh well they only made 1 intercept total.. but they did manage to create tacklezones on different stuff..

Please tell me they had BT? 10/10 for originality.

Who has that Zon team that has blanket PB? That's awesome, totally negates any passing game.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

NOS is great on dark elf runners with dump off...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

That 16/14/38 team, On1? Wink

Listen, I'm kidding there, but there is half a point in it. I don't mean to rain on anyone's individual strategy, the fact some people think differently denotes a strong game, which is what we have here. If people think PB or NOS or anything else is great, all power to them. I was just surprised by Thomcat's post, is all. I think (and I've said elsewhere) there's a lot of 'When FFB drops, you'll see, this will be HUGE' stuff out there in the forum and chatrooms atm, whereas I feel there's not that much difference, especially to mechanics that haven't changed. I don't think things are going to change all that much - and I certainly am wary of some coaches that haven't performed brilliantly in LRB4 popping up speaking with authority about the new rules and what skills selections are optimal (no names mentioned, certainly no-one in this thread). We shall see.

Sorry about the OT stuff there, back to tweaking skills!
Thomcat

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
That 16/14/38 team, On1? Wink

Listen, I'm kidding there, but there is half a point in it. I don't mean to rain on anyone's individual strategy, the fact some people think differently denotes a strong game, which is what we have here. If people think PB or NOS or anything else is great, all power to them. I was just surprised by Thomcat's post, is all. I think (and I've said elsewhere) there's a lot of 'When FFB drops, you'll see, this will be HUGE' stuff out there in the forum and chatrooms atm, whereas I feel there's not that much difference, especially to mechanics that haven't changed. I don't think things are going to change all that much - and I certainly am wary of some coaches that haven't performed brilliantly in LRB4 popping up speaking with authority about the new rules and what skills selections are optimal (no names mentioned, certainly no-one in this thread). We shall see.

Sorry about the OT stuff there, back to tweaking skills!

Hehe ok I may have formulated it a bit wrong. What I meant was that PB will be more popular than it was in lrb 4 - since for Slann it makes sense.

I like the skill - extremely seldom take it - since there always is something more important (my playstyle) for me. But Slann might change that (for that race only).

Also now there are more goblins (due to underworld) and they might have some use for 1-2 players with it.

But never think it will be top 20 skill. But hey it has never been that and many skills will never become that.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason I've have ever taken Pass Block is because I get bored when all my players look the same and play the same. That and doing random stuff is the lulz.

So no, I wouldn't rank pass block as a good skill.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a question about the wording of Pass Block. It says "A player with this skill is allowed to...". Now this can be interpreted two way;

1. "A player" denotes the singular and refers to a single player being allowed to move, or
2. It means any player that has PB.

Can anyone confirm?
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a Slann catcher that I'm seriously considering pass block for his next skill (on a regular roll):

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7551242

Of course, I can see value as well with Block, Sure Feet, Jump Up, NOS. His current team role is 'fetch'. If the balls on the ground he pretty much WILL get it. I've already decided he's not gonna be a blitzer/ cage breaker, I've other players more suited for that. But how do develop him from here has a LOT of very interesting options. And I know Pass Block is a kinda lame skill, but this guy can Int on a 3+!

Any other thoughts are welcome. Oh, on doubles, although Slann always need guard (again, other players) I'm thinking of either pass or accurate (or maybe thick skull mwahahahaha).

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Answered my own question here: http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31530&start=0&hilit=pass+block

Seems you can move all PB players on a throw if they can get in range. Could be useful for a dodging team to reposition players and gain TZs.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Pass Block is a great skill for having fun. It's cool going balls-out to try to make INTs, and it's even cooler when they swing the game in your favor. However, an observant opponent won't let your PB player break their passing game. You can argue that 1-2 players with PB CAN influence your opponent's play and limit their options, which is good but hard to quantify. In general though, it's so much easier to just get "real" skills instead.

(BTW, does Diving Catch give +1 on intercepting accurate passes? It would make INTs 3+ instead of 4+ for slann catchers)
((Slann catcher with PB and Catch would be a very effective interceptor))
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I just love pass block, it is great for agile guys (ag4 or 5) who also have leap and catch. With ag5 and catch you have a chance of 75% to intercept a ball, with ag4 and catch it is about 50%. Interception only makes sense with pass block. Otherwise you just have to hope to be luckily in the way of somebody who throws and to throw a 6 on your diceroll.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
However, an observant opponent won't let your PB player break their passing game. You can argue that 1-2 players with PB CAN influence your opponent's play and limit their options, which is good but hard to quantify.

I think with three PB build for that task, you can shut down a lot of pass play, severely limiting your opponent (well, if he relies on passing at all, against say Lizards it's a total waste).

Quote:
does Diving Catch give +1 on intercepting accurate passes?

It can't, because you do the interception die roll before the pass roll deciding wether it's accurate/inaccurate/fumble.
 Jump to: