58 coaches online • Server time: 20:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

nin wrote:

Keeping a -ag Zombie with a discount in TV is a potential cheesy exploit (like in I have a couple of them and so, at the same TV I have some extra skills compared to a healthy team, with no real loss of efectiveness on the zombies...keeping the team healthy requires some effort...)

um, what? -ag zombies are the same TV as uninjured zombies.
opusthefowl

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as Pythrr is the only one that seems to get my point, I guess we are in the minority judging by the posts...

NIN

Could that be exploited? Yes of course. A coach could hope that a specific player randomly gets a injury and then keeps him to save a little TV/cash.

My point is purely mechanical...not looking at race/player/injury/what-ifs/exploits.

+ability = +TV
-ability = no TV change

Doesn't balance...

Any how...that's the way it is...

Was just wondering and question was answered...

Thanks again!
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

@pythrr
humm, yes...but opushthefowl, who is a new coach on Fumbbl, has a question about why, not just abot "it's on the rules" but also looks like he thinks it would be better otherwise, and I was discusing his arguments.

Mine is: "a bonus that encourages keeping injured players would be a cheesy exploit that leads to weird situations, like a team with injured Zombies that is better than one with healthy ones"
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Grim04 wrote:
Alf115 wrote:
I beat you

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7864813

I'm going for the Injuries Larson record.

Only need -MA.

Maybe it should be : -MA-ST-AG-AV,niggle for the Larson and get killed with all 5 for the perfect Larson. Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
RogueBanshee

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I fire the vast majority of my injured players. The only one I kept was a dark elf blitzer that was -ma. He had guard which is handy and requires doubles roll for the DEs so to me it was worth it.
Enigma179

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The point of the injuries is that some don't change your effectiveness all that much, and some do.

For my skaven, I (relatively) recently had a gutter runner who took a hit to AV in the same game he got his first skill, which ended up being +MA. In most situations, I would have fired him; gutters are extremely easy to skill up. However, +MA brings him up to MA10, meaning I'm one more normal skill (sprint) away from an easy one turner. Therefore, I kept him despite now being AV6; assuming I can skill him up to sprint I can also then keep him on the bench for the majority of the game, negating that -AV for the most part, and then just bring him out on turn 8 and 16 to win the game for me. I don't care about the injury and I shouldn't lose TV for it. Of course, now that he's AV6 and a one turner he's going to trip on a gfi, reroll fail, roll a 7 for armour, 12 for injury, die apo die. But c'est la vie.

Point is, while minmaxing your injuries to your advantage may not be a problem in a tabletop league, you have to keep in mind how often fumbbl players can play, making it that much easier to exploit the rule.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 02:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I had an idea like that for a houserule, a 10 TV discount per permanent injury. Only count those injuries that actually reduce a stat (none of that -AG on a troll nonsense).
Qaz

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

opusthefowl wrote:
Hi there folks...

New player here and I was wondering why a team's TV goes up if they get a player with, say +ST but it doesn't go down when you get a -ST.

Seems very, very counter intuitive and leaves coaches with just one option; dump that injured player as soon as possible as he's hurting your team. This would seem to limit options and when you limit options, you create stagnation...

Maybe I am seeing it wrong...let me know!

Thanks!

It is that way so that you have no other option than to fire the player and thus players get fired and there is a greater turn around in players and thats what they aimed for with the CRaP rules as a balance to the no aging.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there will come a day when TS returns and there'll be negatives for stat decreases etc. but that day is off a ways from now.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason -stats don't give a discount is that it would have to be an overly complicated system for it to work.

Of course with an automated system to calculate and keep track of everything, complicated stuff isn't a problem but it wouldn't fit in the CRP tabletop rules which is so far what fumbbl have decided to follow.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

One simple exception to the min/max problem would be when players have a +STAT and a -STAT on the same stat. Having them cancel eachother out for TV purposes could never be a problem as far as I can see.
The player is still a poorer one than without the +/- stat, because he is one skill-up higher than his stats, meaning he needs more spps to gain his next skill. (and has a skill max that's one skill fewer).

I could imagine a rule where a stat penalty cancels out a stat bonus for TV purposes being quite ok.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love having all my BoBs roll -AG and have TV lowered accordingly.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

If anything, I would say: -Mv, -AV would be worth 10k. -Agi would be worth 10k if the player has an initial agi of 3 or more. -Str would be worth 20k.

Stat penalties on players with the same stat bonus would get the full value. (So my +S player who gets -S would have 0TV due to stats, as the_Sage suggested above.)

This would be fairly simple, and avoid most of the abusive situations (although it wouldn't avoid all of them; especially things like orc linemen with -agi.)
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2011 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I see a players TV worth is how much they are payed and not necessarily how much they are worth Razz
So since Blood Bowl players have a great labour union, they can refuse paycut upon injury, or they get a paycut, but the team has to pay their medical bill (which is exactly the same. Coincidence?). Whichever option sounds most fair.