81 coaches online • Server time: 22:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jokklas

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2004 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree, according to the description of the skill the passblocker does NOT have to move to certain positions.

One question though. Does a Wild Animal, Really Stupid etc.. player have to make his 2+/3+/4+ roll to make the move if he has the passblock skill and fullfills the "within 3 squares" condition??
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2004 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not positive how the client handles it but I don't think the WA/RS/BH/whatever player has to roll. I believe this is the case in the client. Ask Klipp and his pass-blocking trolls.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed that you now have changed pass block so that it now works according to the spirit of the LRB... just when u succeeded in convincing me it was alright to abuse this broken skill Smile

is this now official, i.e. is the folk in Games Workshop agreeing with this "house rule"? Do u know?
MixX

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Changed where? Anyway, there is (another?) bug in the way the client handles Pass Block, and that's when an opposing player is using the Dump Off skill, you should still be allowed to move your three squares right? In the client you can't, I know the one who is Blocking can't make his move, but other players should be able to!
Gibbering_Gambits

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe Dump Off is not a PASS ACTION (ie requiring you to use your one for your turn, during your turn) it is a reaction due to a skill, hance Pass Block is not applicable. Your Pass Blocker isn't 'thinking to defend the pass' during your own turn type-a-thing.

'The special move is free, and in no way affects
the player’s ability to move in the following turn'

While the rule mentions nothing of PASS ACTION specifically this added blurb in the actual rule shows intent (arguably and creatively) that the movement should not be taken during your current turn as a defender.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

From the 2002 rules review:

Quote:

Q: Can I use Pass Block when my opponent tries to Dump Off the ball? Also, can I try to intercept a Dump-Off?

A: Yes to both questions.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes its a bug in the client, you are only meant to use the move to exert a tz on the two players involved in the pass or to get under the range ruler to make an interception attempt

The only exception I would say is if you made a dodge with a stand firm player in the aim to get into a valid position but then fail the dodge.
Emberglow

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
Changed where?

Well at least last time i used pass block with my norse catcher i was only allowed to move towards the interception area, which was difficult (even with ag4 and dodge) since i needed to dodge into 2 TZs. I'd rather just dodged my player off my opponent's player TZ and go assist my other players. So it indeed seems like some one has made changes on the client.
origami

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Try to keep the spirit of the rule in mind, rather than looking for every loophole caused by a grammatical fuzziness. In this case, it's fairly obvious from a first read that the rule is meant to let you try to stop the pass, not just move anywhere you want when a pass is thrown. It's not such a big deal when you are playing over the computer. However, if you try to do this kind of thing over an actual boardgame, you are going to irritate a lot of your opponents and swiftly run out of people interested in playing you.
MixX

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2004 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
From the 2002 rules review:

Quote:

Q: Can I use Pass Block when my opponent tries to Dump Off the ball? Also, can I try to intercept a Dump-Off?

A: Yes to both questions.

thanks, saved me the trouble of looking it up. The part in the skill text about next turn is to clarify that WHEN used in the opponents turn, it's a free action. Also, while a game should be played to the spirit of the rules, in the gray zones we'll need to adhere to the letter of them, because after all that's all we've got. As in this example, where Pass Block was suddenly made worse because someone thought the intention of the rule was something else than the letter - when it wasn't. My point is, unless there is something obviously wrong, let's trust in the rulebook as it is.
 Jump to: