25 coaches online • Server time: 08:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2012 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

it's nice but i'd prefer to have more content blog and less history.

2/3 of the with for the actual blog and 1/3 for the history doesn't seem the right proportion.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2012 - 15:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Most often, the "right" proportion would be 1:1.62, or 1 : (1+sqrt(5))/2 (which is generally referred to as the golden ratio).

The current default theme (and the only one that's not deprecated at the moment) has a content width of 1000 pixels. Apply a 20 pixel padding on both sides and we're left with 960 pixels wide.

For symmetry, let's put 20 pixels margin between the navigation and content columns, leaving us with 940 pixels for content.

Since we have a ratio of ~1.62, we want to solve the following equation:

940 = x + x*1.62

Or reduced:

x = 940 / 2.62, or roughly 359

So, we'd want to have 359 pixels for the navigation, and 581 pixels for content.

Since I didn't spend this much time on figuring out proportions at the time I changed the code, I ended up with 600 pixels for content and 300 pixels for navigation. This leaves a full 100 pixels for margins, which is probably a bit excessive (40 pixels from the base theme, 10 pixels for the redundant tab container, 20 pixels for column padding, and 30 pixels margin between the columns).

At some point, I intend to get rid of the tab container and look closer into getting correct ratios on the affected pages. I will also look into applying more proper ratios to font sizes and line height / width.

The thing is that even as it is now, the content is a bit too wide for the font size used. The previously full-width format decreased readability for both long-form blogs and the short ones. How many blogs did you see which had multiple one or two line paragraphs, making it look more like a bullet point list than a coherent (or no to coherent) text?

Bottom line is that you're right.. The proportions are not perfect, but I'm more inclined to go the other way and make content even narrower in order to improve readability.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2012 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

just found a small glitch regarding the blog. When using the navigation menus (Home -> Blog) to go directly to the blog from somewhere in the forum, the some of the community places (presumably the ones not directly related to the coach) or the help section it redirects to:

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=

without the coach ID, bringing you to some empty blog

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2012 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

guess i'll put this in the bug tracking system, where it belongs

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2012 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Were_M_Eye wrote:
Christer sneaks in another piece of awesomeness!
+1 really nice change. I also love the box addition as well that shows you how many minutes till activation etc dunno when that came in, but its a great addition

+1 to both.

I noticed the box change a few days ago and I like it. Knowing how many coaches have activated is a nice feature.

Jump to: