17 coaches online • Server time: 05:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2017 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffthejar wrote:

Also, it seems the Kislev big guy will be a bear with a chain around his neck, I presume that will be the "prehensile tail" that the Slann Krox has.

Bear baiting? Oh PETA will go APE!

First they came for the fur
mekutata

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2017 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

kummo wrote:

mekutata wrote:
Why don't they like Slann?

GW doesn't like slann.. makers seem to like.. so they circled around it.

And the change to big guy can be something about copyrights.. they don't want completely copy slann.

But why's that? Feels strange. It's a funky race.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2017 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

GW disallowed the Slann theme, or the exact slann roster. So they reskinned them as Kislev and changed the Krox' stats a bit to adhere to those limitations. It looks OK, russian acrobats leaping isn't too weird, though the catchers look way too burly for 7247.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the beard!
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks mate! It started as a summer project, and dare I say "it's growing on me". =D

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

kummo wrote:

Chain is representing that someone needs to walk the bear (really stupid)

I'm not 100% sure whether it'll be stupid or WA. I hope it's stupid, WA sucks on a roadblock (keeping your tackle zones sounds nice, but he's alone less often than he's blitzing). Pretty sure the tail stays.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

so what? it's still a steaming pile of crap with the repetitive cutscenes and horrible UI

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
so what? it's still a steaming pile of crap with the repetitive cutscenes and horrible UI

You can turn off the cut scenes.

The UI is fine. It's different than FUMBBL which takes some getting used to, but it's fine once you've gotten the swing of it.

Not counting the first few games I played I think I have the same number of misclicks in both.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
GW disallowed the Slann theme, or the exact slann roster. So they reskinned them as Kislev and changed the Krox' stats a bit to adhere to those limitations. It looks OK, russian acrobats leaping isn't too weird, though the catchers look way too burly for 7247.

It just feels a bit weird to me, because such gimmicks like circuslike-acrobats would be rather something individual for specific teams than something like a whole "race".
You know, in some other computer games it is possible to customise the appearance of characters ... so in a optimal BB computer version you could do that aswell with your team and imitate the joy of painting/customising models.. and then, if you want, you make a circus team.

But I still don't understand GW. Is there a reason they disallow/hate Slann?
How did the team originally get in BB at all then? Was it an unofficial team, and then only allowed by NAF?

But yeah, to end this with something positive and regarding BB2 LE and Goblins: This idea to buy bribes for the roster, the more I think about it the more I like it.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Mekutata,

As I remember, the lore of the Warhammer world has changed quite a bit over time. In the very old books, Slann were a special race on their own (not part of lizardmen as such), and they were sporty jumping frogs (that's how they were shown in the old star player book).

Then in the 90's Warhammer Fantasy released a box set with Lizardmen and Bretonnians, and lizardmen were re-invented to be skinks, saurus and Krox all ruled by the lazy fat Slann. The Slann in blood bowl did not fit in this theme or backstory in any way whatsoever. That they stayed in blood bowl at all, is probably because Tom Anders (who helped develop the newer editions) really liked the team, not because they exist in the Warhammer world and should be represented.

So in summary, Slann don't exist in the Warhammer world, only in SOME editions of blood bowl, and for consistency sake it makes sense not to include them.
fidius

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Danish_Dan wrote:
So in summary, Slann don't exist in the Warhammer world, only in SOME editions of blood bowl, and for consistency sake it makes sense not to include them.

This is the noble (/fluff) view, and I'm sure there's something to it. The cynical (/business) view is that GW don't want to invest sculpting resources to support such a niche concept.

My own (practical) view is the name factor: "Slann" is too similar to Slaanesh and they don't know how to deal with that. (Was a very weird naming decision on their part!) Personally I'd prefer we kept the race (because they're unique and interesting and fun to paint) but renamed them Kroak's Kroakers or something.

If the rumour is true, I find a Kislevian team full of Long-Legged, Leaping acrobats who don't have Agility access very, very strange...
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

BB2 will never conform to BB2016 rules for a very simple reason. Cyanaide is a for profit operation and BB2 will continue to expand their own rules as long as the money keeps flowing in.

Is that bad? Nope. Coaches who want to play a very popular variant version of Blood Bowl have their home and they are forking up cash to play it.

Of course they (Cyanide) are paying GW royalties on all sales so GW could give a flip what cyanide has in store for BB3 >>>> ULTIMATE EDITION!!!! Rules be dammed man, the money grab is in full swing, 8 expansions rolling out over 4 years at only $40 a pop.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

On the flip side GW does seem to care what FUMBBL does with its IP and it better not step out of line with the GW rule set.

Very Happy Shocked Surprised Laughing

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
BB2 will never conform to BB2016 rules for a very simple reason. Cyanaide is a for profit operation and BB2 will continue to expand their own rules as long as the money keeps flowing in.

Do you have BB2? Do you follow the development at their forum or on steam?

I'm guessing no.

PainState wrote:
Is that bad? Nope. Coaches who want to play a very popular variant version of Blood Bowl have their home and they are forking up cash to play it.

No one has to pay for FUMBBL... Wink

PainState wrote:
Of course they (Cyanide) are paying GW royalties on all sales so GW could give a flip what cyanide has in store for BB3 >>>> ULTIMATE EDITION!!!! Rules be dammed man, the money grab is in full swing, 8 expansions rolling out over 4 years at only $40 a pop.

The LE edition is actually a pretty reasonable offer all things considered.

It helps to think of BB2 in terms of TT costs really. If you want to play Khemri you have to buy Khemri minis... if you want to play Khemri in BB2 you have to buy the DLC...

You can like or not like that model, but it's not obviously a bad one.
kwèk

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2017 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
kummo wrote:

mekutata wrote:
Why don't they like Slann?

GW doesn't like slann.. makers seem to like.. so they circled around it.

And the change to big guy can be something about copyrights.. they don't want completely copy slann.

But why's that? Feels strange. It's a funky race.

For as far as I know it... Isn't Slann this old problem with copyright. GW had issues with it long ago, and slann came into this "taboo"-atmosphere. Same as "Squats" in warhammer 40K. I'm not sure about the entire story, but I remember something like that.

I don't think they "don't like" slann. It's just an old issue that they try to avoid.

Jump to: