19 coaches online • Server time: 08:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
Do you by chance have a link to a replay that illustrates this style? This does sound nice in theory, but I find it a little hard to believe that you play a half with a luxury of keeping two players (one of whom is your primary sacker, so presumably a well developed one) back out of action.

Engage and disengage as the match requires. It's all about thinking ahead. If you already see that you will not be able to stop your opponent from breaking through, you need to make a move to get your players in a position to pressure his stall. And if he stalls anyway, you are then in a position to attack. Doesn't mean that you just park one guy in your own endzone for six turns.

Can't hunt for replays right now but you'll notice this contantly if you watch the top coaches play. Of course, most of the time this just means the opponent will score T5 or T6 rather than take the risk. Or it means your 5+ Dodge fails and you get stomped. Wink
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a couple of those stalls that I saw in your games were pretty lame against a rookie coach that was unlikely to do much damage. Especially one where the team was already 1-0 up. However in normal circumstances, some stalling is going to happen.

Go for 145 club mate, it'll be better there and once you have sharpened your skills up you'll be stalling like the rest of us Smile Failing that try to pick some elves in ranked to play instead of bashy teams, they mostly like to score quick.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The people who play here KNOW something you probably don't.

1) How to score Touchdowns in 1 TURN.

2) Kickoff results can ADD TURNS to the game... and almost anybody can score a Touchdown in 2 TURNS.

3) Stalling is part of the game... COUNTERING the Stall is also part of the game.
Many teams try to Stall and FAIL because of what the opponent does to counter that stall.
Jeffthejar

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

[Edit: removed]

Last edited by Jeffthejar on %b %28, %2017 - %16:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
kummo

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

How is stalling not in blood bowl spririt? Altho BB has more in common with rugby than american football, it's still parody of american football.. and i've seen replays of NFL teams doing STALLS (excample 1 and excample 2). They receive the ball, pass back, then guy with ball does something like touches field with his knee.. This is a turnover.. it wastes second or few seconds and it has to be repeated few times to be effective.. sure.. but it's a valid real life tactic real american football teams use.

It is very valid tactic to not score if you give up turns to your opponent.

Also there are/have been leagues in fumbbl that either were against stalling plays or encourages to not stall (like in DLE 7's college league where next season you get extra point if you score 3 scores or more.. you get that point even if you lose or tie.. so 3-3 is better than 1-1.. and 3-4 loss is better than 1-0 Razz )
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
Do you by chance have a link to a replay that illustrates this style?

arry, while not exactly that play style, here's a reply in which we were able to counter the stall and prevent the opponent from scoring. Unfortunately we could not capitalize on the turnover.

Your sacker just needs to be within reach of the ball, wherever the ball may be, and sometimes that location is in your own backfield.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Many coaches do indeed take stalling too far, agreed Zhems. There is definitely a middle ground somewhere between being competitive and playing for fun.

I don't stall very often, but some people let coaches run their team up to score early so they can win 2-1 win the end.

Typical scenario for the ones that don't stall:
I receive. I score in 4 turns.

They receive, tie it up on turn 8.

Second half they receive, and then stall until turn 6-8, leaving a tie out of reach. They win.

If I wanted to give away wins, Id play Flings in the Box more often.

Jeffro
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

stalling is bad, m'kay.

lol

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

well, when you're talking about the spirit of the game - opinions are going to vary on what that means. The beauty of Blood Bowl is that coaches can play the game many different ways - for fun, competitively, some play for player records.

I've noticed recently an influx of coaches who focus simply on blocking, player removal and fouling - ball handling seems to be non-existent in their gameplay. I've come to call them (affectionately) Cyanide coaches due to their strange habit of blitzing and just following up after the blitz every time just like the Cyanide AI does.

Anyhow, I digress... come join the 145 League and Welcome to FUMBBL!

Come join the Official FUMBBL discord Server then the 145 Club channel.
Discuss strategy, skills and arrange matches!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I like scoring early and often so I can get more shots at defensive TDs. Elves do that.
Composer99

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

OP, I can definitely understand that you might feel frustrated about getting stalled when your opponent has a definite advantage.

It's worth nothing, however, that some teams can only realistically win by stalling when they have possession, often for as long as possible (dwarves, khemri, and orcs spring to mind). For these sorts of teams, stalling is a crucial part of their game plan, and absolutely within the spirit of the game. (Speaking personally, I know my orcs only win or tie games when I can manage the clock.)

Other teams (mostly elves) don't have to stall to win, but playing a running game, elf-style, is usually more reliable than either passing or relying on one-turn scoring (the match with 23 touchdowns notwithstanding) - and it also entails some clock management/stalling in order to keep the opponent from winning.

All that said, you're entitled to your play preferences, and if you find stalling is frustrating and not fun, others upthread have provided links to like-minded groups here on the site.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 20:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Is it alright then if while I stall i foul the bejeezus out of your best player?

But on a serious note stalling is an almost required tactic for some of the slower teams to ensure victory. teams like elfs might want to score as often as possible to get more cracks at the ball because they can easily take it away.

Some tougher and slower teams need to keep an advantage. If your orcs have the ball on turn 6 but the wood elf team has 7 guys in the KO box that is at least 2 turns he cannot muck your up and return a score with his KO'ed players. This is just a basic reason.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

arry wrote:
Do you by chance have a link to a replay that illustrates this style? This does sound nice in theory, but I find it a little hard to believe that you play a half with a luxury of keeping two players (one of whom is your primary sacker, so presumably a well developed one) back out of action.

To give just one example. 2nd half of this match. Check out how Harpo keeps his Ghoul back as a safety and thereby forces me to score T4 when otherwise I might have stalled. In this case I won anyway because I was lucky to stop his score twice, but it shows the principle. It's really very common.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 20:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I will very rarely stall for 2-0 and upwards. Unless it's a tournament, or you are wood elves.

Outside of that though, I stall.

In fact if I don't stall against you, you should probably feel insulted. Because it means I don't think you can come back and draw even with great kick off results (Pitch invasion, blitz, perfect defense), great cas dice and great play.

because I am a munchkin who will do anything to win, and while I play to have fun, I usually have more fun when I win.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2017 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a "competitive" site, it is "fun" because of the competitiveness. If you are not expecting coaches to not try to win in order to be fun loving, you are at the wrong site. As far as I am concerned, there is no balance, and while I will try and be congenial in chat, when it comes to playing the game, I will play to win every time.
 Jump to: