20 coaches online • Server time: 04:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's an Elf team that takes on all sorts of challenges and has done so for quite some time:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=56562

Buttercup is a savy coach and they even play against Dwarves on occassion Exclamation
An interesting team, but no match for the powerful Wood Elf and Dark Elf teams that are possible IMO.
I would agree with Wossel, Elves and Dark Elves are amongst the weakest....until around TR 230 when Dark Elves begin to excel. Dark Elves may be a (relatively) close second to wood elves at the higher TRs.(250+)
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Man.
Listen the Pro elves is a combination between the other elves.
With 8347. They are stronger than the average catcher, same speed and only slower than the woodie/Gutter.
However since thay all have NoS u obviously give them dump-off on first skill roll.That way it´s next to impossible to stop their offence, and with Block, dodge quickly on all four, u have 4 Super "blitzers" besides the 2 a bit slower but tougher blitzers.
True they have the worst linos of all the elves, MA 6 AV 7 not good. But they are still AG 4, which makes them better than most other linos, and much more versatile.
They are as strong and fast as the Highelves, but not as tough. Instead they are cheaper and therefor have more RR/FF/positional players etc.
calon

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

m0nty wrote:
calon wrote:
Prime example of elves not sucking.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=99939

Hmmm, the match record for that team reveals that every single game was played against elves. Hardly indicative.

Sorry to disagree but at the end of the day all it is a dice roll to do an injury agreed that the bashier teams have things to add to that but if you are going to play bashy teams dont winge about the injuries.
SonofSharkboy

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my SWL Tournament Pro Elf team, the Western Sydney Woders. They've done well, although recently work has taken away from my coaching time and my teams have suffered for it. Keep in mind that the format of the SWL prevents 'cherry picking,' so there's a fairly good mix of races for opponents. Also, both the niggle and the -ag on my star blitzer were from aging, not opponents. The biggest obstacle for the team right now is getting back into the defensive powerhouse I know they can be.

I don't think pro elves suck.
Znail

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

There is nothing wrong with Pro Elves, Best scoring team there is. Only downside is the low armor and the cassulties you get due to that in a league.

Last edited by Znail on %b %24, %2004 - %16:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Calon, I did not intend to belittle your achievements, but playing exclusively against elves gives a distorted view of the team's performance over time, not to mention that 8 of the 12 coaches you played have ratings under 150. Casualty numbers from 12 games of (15/7/1 - 3/3/2) are ludicrously lucky for an elf team, even if they are playing elves.

If you look at Faction, where Elf teams should excel by cherrypicking, I can only remember two Elf teams ever making it to Faction 1, and neither of them did much good or stayed there for long. Attrition rates for Elf teams are normally very high.
Znail

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess my own Elf team is fairly typical:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=102461

Lots of wins and goals, low on players.

As for tactics, Elves are the Pro's on the passing game: Running some catchers over to the opponents side, hold the ball on a thrower a safe distance from the opponents and then pass next turn for score. Nerves of Steel is the key that makes them the best at this as it doesnt matter if there are anyone standing next to the catcher.
The catchers are key for defence as well as their speed makes them good at chasing down the ball carrier. Its a huge advantage here that they dont have str 2 like woodies got. I wouldnt call Elves weak defensively as most of my goals have been done when kicking.
Betrayalizer

Post 2 Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, u say that pro Elves should be changed in some way? Look at the high elves... They are exactly like dark elves but dark elves can have 4 blitzers and witch elves instead of catchers. Witch elves have jump up and dodge from the start. Frenzy may be awkward if u don't know how to use it properly but with 4 blitzers dark elves are like twelve times better than high elves. High elves should have 4 blitzers or the option to use maiden or shadow warriors. High elves are by far the suckiest elves by now...
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

On the other hand High Elves have four ST 3 MA 8 players that can get Blodge pretty fast, plus they have cheaper Throwers. Opinions on which team is better are divided.

Last edited by Mezir on %b %24, %2004 - %17:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hell, I remember a thread several months back that said Pro Elves are OVERPOWERED.

It depends on the coach and how wise they use them

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... they dont appear to be especially overpowered. Most of the teams given as examples in this thread are distincty undeveloped in comparison to othe elven teams around similar ratings.

As someone pointed out earlier woodelves have the capacity to win games even with vastly reduced numbers. I doubht pro elves have the same ability. Another sore point is the los. Any woodie player will tell you that most casualties in a game come from the free blocks opponents get after a touchdown. Woodelves compensate for this with the treeman which can soak up some of the damage caused.

The obvious solution would be to stall, but i've yet to find a reliable way to stall with any elf team apart from running well out of blitz range and people are likely to stamp on your players as an 'incentive' to score.

I think theres a lot of belittling going on in this thread with coaches telling us were just not clever enough to use them. But i've seen lots of the more experenced coaches failing miserably and giving up in disgust.

I'm not convinced that pro elves are a genuinly playable team at the moment but I appreciate that the vault will give them a boost with the injury table.

I also still think dodge on the catchers is a good idea.

Ah i could go on like this all day someone else can post now Laughing
AndersZappa

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I love playing elves. NoS is such a great skill. Send your catchers out there and they'll be very difficult to stop.
My team may not have the best winning streak but I had problems in the beginning and further I'm not among the best players here.
http://fumbbl.com/teams/Manu+Chao.html
I can only say that once you survive the first couple of games Elves are way up there among the top races
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with M0nty.

Elves are a pretty nice team and have no problem to get the field.
I find them pretty challenging since they don't have the standard skills for positional players.

They have also some interesting pro:
Fast Catchers with ST3 are not so common;
Cheap Linemen and so on...

marco

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it. Pro Elves can hold their own in DX too. I have played this team with Ogres, Rotters, and Dark Elves, and can only manage to tie....but look at the list of opponents and you will see that Pro Elves can stand the test of time too:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=60359
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah i prefer playing basher teams with any elf team. Elf bowl's dull and you can move around better vs the slow unagile bashers