11 coaches online • Server time: 04:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tommi

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

paul, I focus on the few good coaches here that make the game fun, rather than the ones with 80+ % win percentages that try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Wheres the logic? You dont play to win? I personally like to play mostly easy games, dont have to think so hard, its like watchin tv. But I also like to play hard games, the winning is so much more worthwhile. But I tend to like winning... (dont look at my ogres/orcs, dont know how to play them yet, Id like to win with them too)
Quote:

I use a blacklist because:

I used to ban coaches too from my games, but that was long time ago... At least one coach on your blacklist had simply played well, so its kind of sad you banned him (Matt_wyeth). At least I use regularly similar tactics with a new team of mine - bash/foul the other team to oblivion, and you can freely get spp after that (that missing spp for your lineman thats so hard to get), and with any luck he concedes and you get great cash for your team.
As for fouling in turn 16, rarely winners do that, why dont let the loser make the defeat a little less easier to carry? When the games over, let it be over, no reason to linger in the past.
I do whine during the game when Im being bashed, but diplomacy and bluffing is a part of BB. Black lists arent (or maybe Im just missing something).

Anyway, my message: Be happy! Dont worry so much, there always a new dreamteam in making for you.
xlars

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I see nothing wrong with blacklists. If you cant remember who is on yours then its ok to write it down. I mean I dont search other peoples info pages to see their blacklists... My own black list is in my head, but its not very long Smile. But I realy dont like "Azurus wrote others can only enjoy a game if they know their opponent isn't enjoying it" That is just killing the fun and not nice!
/XL
Coach_Lo

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone else remember the unbrideiled joy that you felt when you discovered that bloodbowl was a game you could play online?
I almost lost my mind when I heard it.
Tons of people to play with at anytime of day? Good God! IT IS AWSOME!!
And for the most part it is free???? wow
Give money, give often, hell, at least give once.
It is still one of the greatest things to happen to this game.
So play have fun for tommorrow it could be down. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I have more than 450 games played. I still have lots of fun.

And I must say: in my 170 ranked games so far I only met two bad sport opponents. Just two.
I have been outplayed, outbashed, outrun, and in general I had my a$$ kicked in many games. But in the end "fun" is all that matters. So, with 168 out of 170 funny games I think it's quite an admirable percentage.
And I still have to play Paul and Macavity (to throw in tha names of two of the many coaches here labeled as "fun").

BB is a cool game. It can be played in many different ways, and I think it's just obvious that each coach has his own way.
Just care about "your" way and have fun. Unless you play ppl whose purpose is having fun "despite" your presence, it works pretty well.

Just don't leave Paul. Don't leave me alone with Macavity roaming in the Forums... I'm scared! Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped having fun when I started caring about my teams. I started having fun, when I started an elf team and all I cared about was winning. Of course I still suck at bloodbowl so I'm only having half as much fun as I'd like too. Cool
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
When did we stop having fun?

I think it really became a problem when COACH RANKING was enforced.
Evil or Very Mad

Azurus wrote:
Sadly, some people can only enjoy a game when they win, and others can only enjoy a game if they know their opponent isn't enjoying it.

Unfortunately, the greatest whiners are often those coaches with godlike winning records and outstanding coach rankings. An excellent coach ranking seems to cause a highly negative psychological impact on most players. It would appear that they experience a permanent pressure to show that their caoch ranking is justified and to prove their superiority. As soon as they roll a doubleskulls or snakeeyes they often fire endless volleys of complaints about their bad luck, how unfair the matchup would be and similar stuff. Evil or Very Mad
Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Farinroderel wrote:
Quote:
When did we stop having fun?

I think it really became a problem when COACH RANKING was enforced.
Evil or Very Mad

Azurus wrote:
Sadly, some people can only enjoy a game when they win, and others can only enjoy a game if they know their opponent isn't enjoying it.

Unfortunately, the greatest whiners are often those coaches with godlike winning records and outstanding coach rankings. An excellent coach ranking seems to cause a highly negative psychological impact on most players. It would appear that they experience a permanent pressure to show that their caoch ranking is justified and to prove their superiority. As soon as they roll a doubleskulls or snakeeyes they often fire endless volleys of complaints about their bad luck, how unfair the matchup would be and similar stuff. Evil or Very Mad

Amazing, I was about to post something very similar.

Lately I've only played such 170+ coach ranking guys twice in the last few months.... first time was in stunty where I was clearing the pitch, the guy disconnected and then played that team against someone else, even though I PMed him about continuing; and the other with a 20 TR higher blodge team at low TR, getting 3 RIPs on my blockless av9, yet decided to comment on about how 'tough' a match up this was for him.... then complain my frustration at getting my armour broken every block was making the game less fun for him.... wtf.

Any coach above 165 CR is an alarm for a seriously unfun game IMO.
Sgt_Colon

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Should we start a "proud of our sucky coach ranking club?" Wink

If so I will join my rats have been having an awful spell Smile

Sgt.
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Brithnot: Was about to say something like that to...
Have more fun playing 'average' players than the die-hard-must-win-can't-loose-my-ranking-coaches.

Tommi: "As for fouling in turn 16, rarely winners do that, why dont let the loser make the defeat a little less easier to carry?"
If losing really bugs you so much you have to destroy something, perhaps you shouldn't play? Or have a punchingball in your apartment? Don't have to take it out on your opponent...

I'd rather loose a fun game than win a boring one...

And this doesn't stop me from having a white-list with coaches I like to play because they have a similar attitude, similar style of play, chats, etc. Since it is only for fun, and not money, I don't have to put up with those guys I don't consider 'fun'.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I foudn this, too.

Now I only play unranked tournaments, and Faction.

In Faction, more is at stake than in Ranked, but oddly it is easier to have fun in Faction. I think it is simply that the better coaches play in Faction, rather than the coach ratings whores who stick to Ranked.
Shinan

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl was only fun in the beginning mates. Then it turned into addiction. Must. Get. Fix.

I have to admit the fun games are about one every three or four games. Some coaches are funner than others and it's always best to play when you feel you can be a bit funny too.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

If losing really bugs you so much you have to destroy something, perhaps you shouldn't play? Or have a punchingball in your apartment? Don't have to take it out on your opponent...

As I said, I dont tend to lose... but I've learned to smile when I win 7-0 and the opponents last action is a foul with 6 assists. It's somehow touching. Sports are all about great feelings.
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I wrote the Recordopedia to add to the fun and help the community become well,... lore of a community and th unexpected succes of that little forum thread, staying on topic for 480 posts, having over 14000 pageviews, etc. shows that a majority of the people actually do have fun.

Most people just accept the records and I rarely heard people accuse others of cheating, and that in th realm of records... so yes people do vent from time to time, some people whine, but a lot people do have fun!

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... seems like I am in a very difficult position after the previous posts - and somehow I feel the need to defend at least myself, cuz I smell the stench of generalisation.

First of all:
Yes it´s true, you get a nice rating by cherrypicking, though there is a limit.
Yes it´s true, if you really care about your coachrating that much, you have to cherrypick.
But it´s also true, that you are forced to search for easy matches to maintain a high ranking.
Just as an example: If I play an average not too bad coach (CR 155) I am expected to have a 0.500-rate with my TS150 team against TS 242. That´s what the system is expecting from me. If CR-diff and TS-diff would be wighted in a different way, there would be an incentive to play tougher matchups. There isn´t, so I play even matchups against any coach who has a fitting team (and I have coaches dodging me for my CR).

I´m a very competitive person and I like the coachrating. I also liked the teamranking, which sadly was abandoned. I just like the fighting for the top and it an additional motivation to never give up in the UI. I always played games, where the teams were about equal. I sometimes picked some harder matches and accepted softer, if I was challenged. I don´t think that playing to win ruins the FUMBBL-spirit. The atmosphere was more kinda poinoned by those "who play only for the fun."

First of all, those "fun-coaches" labled all playing for the win as sick and whining a-holes, only cherrypicking and bitching. Whenever I proposed some tweaking of the ranking/TS-system I could be sure there was some freak telling me that noone should care about it anyway. When I argue in any fouling/stalling/OTS/god know what-thread, "fun-coaches" come to pick on me for playing to win. THAT is something killing the fun. If they don´t care - nice. I don´t force them to care.

Those "fun-coaches" were the first IMO, to start to kill the fun for me, when the started to play for teamdestruction instead of winning. I understand that bloody matches can be fun and I enjoy a pitch-war every now and then with my orcs, but it forced another group, who focus on teambuilding to go into extrem (whining about fouling/DP, starting elfbowl etc.).

Well... enough about this rant - I know, that I´m a little off topic. I just want to say, that I for myself enjoy a competitive game, discussion about tactical options and so on. Putting me into a "seriouly unfun" group i a little bit offending, as I know many nice and great coaches with a high CR.

And while we are accusing each other about unfun-stuff and cherrypicking - I can recall britnoth the reckless, defender of the last fun, dodging my orcs in faction with his equal TS zons for my 3 tackles and 1 MB....
Smess

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

WTF
Britnoth and Farinroderel, those are some ridiculous overgeneralisations you're making there.
All high ranked coaches are whiners ?
High CR causes negative psychological effects ?
It's no fun playing against a high ranked coach ?

Being a high ranked coach for quite a while now,
let me tell you about how I look at the game now, after more than 700 fumbbl games.

-First: No matter how safe you play, you'll always need some luck. In some games you'll get diceraped and you'll lose, that's a fact.
Just keep in mind that your dice always could be worse even (usually you did have a game where it was worse).
Whining ain't gonna improve your dice, frankly it'll only will make you play worse. The only thing to do about bad dice is trying to keep your concentration, play well, and hope for a change. If not, sit the game out,
and go look for another one, which will likely be better.
-> Hence, I never complain about my dice much, cos it just is no use. When you get a game like that, you have to look at the funny side of it, and laugh at the dice. That way you'll have some fun while losing at least.

-Second: Everyone has different opinions about how the game should be played, and that's fine. For that, there is no reason to get mad when someone holds a total different playing style than you. No reason to avoid any coach or any team, as long it's a fair game (around same ST rating) and you feel like it at the moment. Also: ALL tactics are valid. While you might not see a point in it, or thinkits no fun, someone else can disagree.
->Hence: No reason to get mad whatever the opponent does. Hiring stars or wizards after agreement, 8 turn fouls, stalling all half long, fouling every turn, oneturning all the time, whatever, i've seen it before. Do what you must do, I won't complain. No reason to judge anyone, i'll just concentrate on trying to win.

-Third: To me, you can only call yourself a good coach, if you are familiar with every playing style, and if you are ready to take on any one aspect (like only elfbowl, or only bashing) just seems no fun to me. I always try to play against a sample of coaches and teams that resembles the community. After an easy opponent, i go looking for a good coach, after a ballplaying team, i'll go looking for a bashing team. You have to play challenging games if you want to improve, and such victories are the sweetest.
The only things I don't like are slow players and cherrypickers (I've even learned to ignore whiners).

Anyway, I've played against lot's of coaches over 170, and while there are some coaches as you both described, I think they are a minority. If you didn't enjoy the game, just don't play them anymore if you realy want.
Actually I've played some of my most fun and tense games agains other high ranked coaches that hold somewhat the same view on the game as me. Some good coaches gave me a beating and I learned much from those games.
To avoid any high coach because you had some bad experiences with them is just silly. But then again, if you don't play them, you'll never find out that you are wrong.
 Jump to: