46 coaches online • Server time: 13:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post DIBBL Awards
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2005 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a remote chance that it might work if you're really good with port forwarding. I never got it to work though.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2005 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll go check it out - considering the fact that I have no idea what port forwarding is I have a feeling it's going to include an impressive amount of reading and almost no reward. Thanks again.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you playing on a wireless network? I've had nothing but grief on wireless, so much so that I won't play anymore unless I'm 'plugged into the wall.'

Now it's time to see if I can look into this 'port forwarding' for my home PC at least...

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

No wireless. I'm looking into changing my internetprotocol into using a set IP-adress rather than an automatic one. Not sure what most of this means as I just looked into most of this for the first time but as far as I can see it looks slightly promising - guess it's more reading for me then.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Port Forwarding 101 on my Linksys WRT54G router (ie: one of the most popular on the market, sold as Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router for about $40):

Note: I am not a networking guy. I'm a design guy. Want your fonts sorted? I'm your man. Want to WAN your VPN from IP to DNS via PPTP? I have no clue. Nonetheless, I still figured this out and you can do it, too.

1. Open a web browser.
2. In the Address bar, type in 192.168.1.1. You'll get an alert asking for a username and password
3. Leave the username blank. The default password is "admin". I wouldn't check "remember this password" at this point...
4. The administration interface for your router comes up. That sounds scary, but it's just a web page - one that your router is hosting for your network only and you can use it to change the router's settings. If you can use this forum, you can use the administration interface.
5. Click on the "Administration" tab. The first thing staring you in the face is the "change password" option.
6. Change your password. Please. I forgot what the default was (in order to write this) so I looked it up. It took 2 seconds.
7. Click on the "Applications and Gaming" tab.
8. Take a moment to look up your computer's IP address (it should be something like "192.168.1.xxx" where xxx is a number from 0 to 255). Mac users: it's in "System Preferences | Network".
9. You can leave "application" blank or type in JavaBB if you want... it's just a label to make it easy for you if you forward a lot of ports.
10. Enter the ports to forward. From "Start" to "End". I use 8080 to 8100, to make sure that all the images, spectators, etc... get forwarded to the right machine.
11. "Prototcol" can be either TCP or both. Doesn't matter. Just leave it as "both" if you're lazy.
12. "IP address" should be the last part of your IP address - which you looked up in step 8. Note that the first three parts (192.168.1.____) is already filled in for you. Just the bit after the last period.
13. Check "enable".
14. Click on "Save Settings".

Now, anything coming to your router (which is your external IP address) on ports 8080 through 8100 will get forwarded to the machine you entered in step 12. Barring something funky with your ISP, you should now be able to host directly.

Other models of routers may be slightly different. The basic premise is the same. The biggest difference is probably the "Applications and Gaming" tab - which is possibly likely called "Port Forwarding" on other models. Please note that I made this as painfully detailed as possible and still only came up with 14 steps. And this is something you only have to do once.

If you're like me and possibly play on two different machines on the same network (my work laptop, when it comes home, is sometimes used so I can play while lounging on the couch), you can set up another IP address for the same ports and follow steps 7-12 again. Just leave one enabled and if you want to switch which machine is enabled, load up 192.168.1.1 again and change it.

Works fine for me switching between both ethernet (desktop) and wireless (laptop). Be sure to play with some of the other options in there (for example, setting it up so your it will only allow specific MAC addresses to connect wirelessly and saving you from neighbors snooping in) and learn to use your own equipment!

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

it's a hijack of the thread also BUT when will the save process be fixed without all those annoying bugs (the "ball bug" on sync and so on)
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not really a hijack because I don't think I've ever gotten a missing/extra ball problem playing on a direct connection.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I know most sync problems like missing/extra ball too is, come in proxy games cause client does not notice that it has lost its server and vice versa because its connected to proxy, not straight. Because this this happens alot on proxy games cause on other end things happen that never happen in other one. Using direct connection your client notices disconnection when it happens and this does not happen for that reason.
Using shared connection with nat-firewall box should be pretty easy (hi Mez) and Ive seen ppl with not much computer experience do that. Atleast with Zyxel and DLink adsl/cablemodems/firewalls there comes pretty good manual for that.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I play 80% of my games per direct connection: when it happens it is just the same as proxy: same bugs. Well on my second internet line I never suffer disconnections but on the first, when I do, it is just the same. Couldn't the game be saved somehow safer.?
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2005 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I play 80% of my games per direct connection

Out of your last 10 games 2 were direct connect. That's 20%. Perhaps these last 10 games had a plethora of issues?
Out of your last 20 games, 9 were direct connect. That's 45%. The 2nd set of 10 games here had 7 direct connects. So that is a whopping 70%.

This is still wonderfully ahead of most of the fumbbl population, so this is great. Yet you will have to show me some hard data with a large sample size to make me believe direct connect games are anywhere near as unstable as proxy games.

I also notice you are using java 1.5. JBB has never been properly tested by me using java 1.5, and thus technically unsupported. I did a few things to prevent certain errors under java 1.5 but I have little faith in it. Java 1.5 added serveral new bugs to java that I know about (there may be many more). You should try using java 1.4.x and see if you have fewer problems.

Quote:

Couldn't the game be saved somehow safer.?

Network play was added as an after thought to jbb, which was merely a study of java for me. Many many things are done poorly because (1) I was learning and (2) I wasn't making an effort to do things properly in what I though was a program no one would use but me. If I had it to do all over again I would make a central server that handled the dice rolling and game state, thus removing the possibility of unstable clients messing up the game. Unfortunately I don't have it to do all over again. Since there are two computers the game state has to be saved on both of them (otherwise cheating would be really easy by just editing that save game file). So if the game gets out of sync it gets saved out of sync.

P.S. If you have two internet lines and one is bad, why are you still using the bad one?

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

arf I managed to upset skijunki Razz sorry:

ok. About the direct connect and proxy: the stats you gave me seemed pretty weird. Indeed, ANYTIME I host I give my IP + port 8080, when it's the opponent I log as he choosed to host (so per Fumbbl). I host more than I join. Ok 20 games aren't that lot my 80% was thrown without staistical research.

The 2 internet lines: one is by my parent, one by me. I go to them some WE and hollydays but when I play there, I suffer crashes. I use Java 1.4.2 if I am right. when it happens it's a hard stuff to overcome but I learned some tricks to overcome it.

I DO NOT critiscize your job ski. You did great. But the only thing that could be improved is saves. I know about the rules about redoing stuff. The .inc, I undertsand that he can bug due to a drop out but it does the the same with .dat (maybe it's .dat and .inc) Well, so the save on turn suffers the same bugs. I am ready to allow my oppo to play fully his turn even if he did shit and reroll it all to avoid the bugs but it doesn't work.

Indeed I would like a "safe save".

Oh and I once spoke about save bugs and got 8-9 answers about "no it works perfectly"

EDIT: try to speak english and be understood
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

you didn't upset me and I didn't take it badly. Smile I just wanted to see for myself if your stats were accurate. I also just wanted to explain why a "safe save" is not really possible with a spotty internet connection with the current code and I would basically have to re-write a LOT of code to make is possible. Something I probably will never have the time to do.

Now, if someone enhanced the jbb proxy server to store and save game state on the server then I could pretty easily load game state from there. That would keep the saves from being corrupted when disconnects happen on the proxy.

Uber

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

A saving feature that I would like is a "pre-game state" save. What am I talking about? Well sometimes the game will crash when you're setting up for the first drive. When that occurs, it's impossible to reload since the game hasn't been saved yet. However, it might be close to impossible to recreate some of the conditions if you restart from scratch, like the handicaps, a blizzard, niggling injuries and the coin toss. Would it be feasible to save right after these rolls? In some games it can make a huge difference.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

not without an entire seperate saving system. This has been on my todo list forever.

Adar

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

SkiJunkie wrote:

Network play was added as an after thought to jbb, which was merely a study of java for me. Many many things are done poorly because (1) I was learning and (2) I wasn't making an effort to do things properly in what I though was a program no one would use but me.

So, this whole game is just the result of you playing with Java? Shocked . I must say that you are quite awesome when playing (btw I host alot on direct connections and I almost never got any trouble).

Jump to: