16 coaches online • Server time: 04:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Am i really crap at this game?
Yes, always
48%
 48%  [ 65 ]
No, just really unlucky
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Quite a bit of both actually
42%
 42%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 134

Macavity

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I'd say read through the ENTIRE sticky post on top tips for noobs. I know you aren't exactly new, but there is a LOT of good stuff in there. And Redfish is right: It may not be all your fault, but ALWAYS assume it is, think about what you could have done better, play people (in the academy or out of it) who are willing to discuss the game with you. I had to explain to a guy that, since people can only blitz once per turn, you can often block a runner better with TZs than players. Obvious, right? But not to him. I always played dwarves on tabletop, and it was through observing others that I learned (thankfully quickly) the other races do not want their skill blockers right on the LOS. Seriously, read that thrread, it's mostly SOLID GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Get rid of them awful lot of useless cheerleaders and coaches on your teams (your orcs would be 15 Tr less without them)
Get Tackle on your teams not Strip ball (SB is useless vs most throwers, while tackle doubles your chances with them nasty blodgers)

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't mind loosing. Some win, so some loose. Toka Goka (or something alike)

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

i voted that you are crap just coz i like calling you crap Wink
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons and pie
...or nasty gobos, you lose but it's funny and you can foul because of the fluf, and forget to pick the ball or where to score Smile
chunky04

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The fellow who said to ignore luck was on the right track IMO.

The way BB works, the player who has the better position has a significant advantage. Once a player gets into a superior position (this can occur due to luck or good play, and don't forget the offense on a drive always gets the first chance to establish position), the opposition wil need more dice rolls, and riskier dice rolls to wrest position back. Since this will generally fail more often than not, it often gives the appearance of luck.

If you are being consistently outplayed throughout a game, this will seem like overwhelming luck, when it often is not.

It is definitely possible to lose a game simply through bad luck, but this happen a lot less than the majority of players would have you believe.

The best thing you can do to improve is to after a loss that appears to be bad luck, wait till you've calmed down and try and look at the replay objectively to see where you may have made some mistakes - its often useful to get someone else to help you look, as we aren't always overly objective. Your opponent makes a particularly good person for this.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

chunky04 wrote:
The fellow who said to ignore luck was on the right track IMO.

chunky is really right don't look at luck. Usually only skills matter...

..usually, because some coach (like me) just win through tactic and loose due to luck (always).

No really, I am the perfect bloodbowl coach. Cool

Nothing else is possible.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, there are two golden rules that I often fail to obey:

1) Do your risk free moves first - stand up players, move players not in TZs, and generally get your team organised so that if you do get nuffled on your first block or dodge, you're not in too much trouble.

2) Don't make needless rolls. Every time you roll, you risk failure. A great example was in my last game, my chaos vs some lizards. In the first half I managed to smash his offense, and he failed a catch and the ball ended up in the hands of a beastman. Rather than simply protect and run, he had a prone skink and I had a few players around it. Stupidly I used the ball carrier to foul the skink, failed a 5+ armour roll, and got sent off. Rather than going in 1-0 up at half time, I went in 2-0 down after a fumbled throw cost me a quick second score. The 2nd half was scoreless and I lost. Victory became loss all because of one idiotic, pointless roll.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

@Chainsaw, like Nelson would say:

Ha-Ha!

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, Pushblock, try playing me, I'm brand new here... And haven't played the board game for.. err.. 11 years now...

If you play for fun and you have fun... you are doing well!
qk

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, no more brand new, just played and lost the game, but kept my dignity untouched...

see ya!
qk
silent-kid

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing Highelves. A team which should be totally apt at dodging out of tackle zones, cause you only need a 2. To grab a normal ball in good weather i need a 2, to throw a usual pass at normal distance i need a 2.

Guess what, I usually happen to have 1s at dodging out of tackle zones.
i can hardly pick up balls and throwing them often misses. just too often for HEs.
And I'm not overestimating. Just ask some of my adversaries.

my last games i had 3 blizzards, 2hot sun, 2rains. and only once nice weather. That is not usual!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't say I'm a bad coach, not perfect, but definitely not bad. The computer generated rolls are just bluntly ridiculous for me.
I have almost caused as many casualties as I completed passes. How stupid is that??? 10pass vs 7cas??? with a HE-team? among those are 4kills.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, play 500 games and it all evens out in the end.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Silent-Kid, you've got one win so far, between your two HE Ranked teams. I'm sorry, but that's unlikely all luck. I my experience, Elf coaches often get too confident that they will make rolls, and so do things like picking up the ball before safe moves of getting people in position and what-not. Playing elves with my halflings (who steal RR) has often resulted in huge complaints about luck for this very reason. Check the number of rolls you made. If you fail on a 1, that's 1 of every six, and throwing is going to be worse odds. Please read that thread I mentioned earlier, there is something in there that will help everyone. A lot is basic, but read the whole thing, and you will come out a better coach.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

That's so very true. Its even more obvious IRL. I played a dark elf coach with my orcs. Every odd round he used to dodge away with everyone usually failing the 4th or 5th dodge but whining about it nonetheless. Most of the times he could've used just one dodge to make some 2 dice blocks to squirm free (which reduce the chance of tripping significantly) but no sir...and that is a failed strategy which results in more rolls and thus more turnovers.

Macavity wrote:
Silent-Kid, you've got one win so far, between your two HE Ranked teams. I'm sorry, but that's unlikely all luck. I my experience, Elf coaches often get too confident that they will make rolls, and so do things like picking up the ball before safe moves of getting people in position and what-not. Playing elves with my halflings (who steal RR) has often resulted in huge complaints about luck for this very reason. Check the number of rolls you made. If you fail on a 1, that's 1 of every six, and throwing is going to be worse odds. Please read that thread I mentioned earlier, there is something in there that will help everyone. A lot is basic, but read the whole thing, and you will come out a better coach.