27 coaches online • Server time: 01:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoodeddwarf wrote:
My personal grudge is for people who can't suck up bad dice and get on with the game. People who play against you and moan that you are rolling pows and remind you of this by writing pow in chat every time you roll one. I can handle a Very Happy or a lol with some snake eyes, but recently spec'd a game with xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD written after every thing that happened. It just gets a bit repetitive. Just sit back and let your opponent enjoy your misfortune. This games apparently sick sense of humour is part of what makes it enjoyable.

Maybe we saw the same game Smile Oddly enough he kept doing that while he was KO 1 opposing player on average just because he didn't get a player out on every foul he made. It must be awful to outnumber your opposition 10-3. 10-2 in the end.

The only tactic I despise is whining. Anything else is good with me - just don't whine.

And apparently I'm in a lot of people's Books of Grudges. I confess! I stall! Wow!

And another confession: I always respect my opponent - and yet I still stall! Stalling is fun. Breaking a stall is fun. Never allowing your opponent to stall is good fun.

Defence! Defence! Defence! Defence!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Imho the "Book of Grudges" concept is cool ONLY if you name names.

I have grudges against COACHES or TEAMS, not "ways of playing", cause every way of playing is right in its own way.

The only thing I dislike is really useless turn 15-16 fouls. I mean, when they have no meaning at all, not even remotely. Apart from that, anything goes.

Personal grudges include:
- Emphasy, who is a Mattyspicker and should be hung from a tree and shot
- Synn, who has inexplicably soft rosters able to deal inexplicably painful damage

Other grudges include Dreadclaw and Curro (for being nasty to me) and Cloggy and TheSquig (for never allowing me to win 5-0).
Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Master'sApprentice wrote:
hardly realistic: pick any 'real' sport where people sit threatening to score, just to aggravate the opposition.

Well Lets take american football - that is the sport closest to BB. The commentary talks off nothing else than controlling the clock. And stalling is controlling the clock. Controlling the clock is the reason for around 40 % off all running games in that sport.

Lets take REAL Football (soccer) and lets take it from your country. What Chelsea is doing is stalling - but its winning them the Prem. League for the 2nd year in a row. And yes they stall - 10 men defending and hoping for a getting that one break in the game. Stalling is a defensive tactic that makes it harder for the opponent to score - why should I (or any other coach) help coaches that play poorly to score ? You could just as well ask us to make the worst blocks every turn.

IF THE OPPONENT STALLS ON YOUR HALF - well then it´s 99 % because you play silly and ONLY are interested in casualties. Otherwise it would not be possible. If people allow it - then I´ll take it - Just as I will chose the skull when people makes "2 dices I decide" blocks on my men.

And back to topic: My grudges have to be these 2 things:

1) whinning - about the dices and opponents tactics.

2) Experienced SLOOOOOW playing coaches. It is ok to be VERY slow when your new to the game - but when coaches that have played 100+ games is more than 5 minutes in AVERAGE per turn it just sux all the fun out of it. I know that this is my problem hehe - but it is amazingly boring hehe
DeMoorck

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally dont mind people stalling against me. If i am in a situation where my opponent can stall and i cant do diddly against it - then i deserve it in some way. There are ways of getting people to score quickly and if i cant utilize these measures then my team is outplayed (or bashed) anyway.

However: whining....grrr. I hate when people whine over luck. In particular not-so-skilled coaches who cant understand why the luck-meter is showing above 50% when they have just failed a move. (they NEVER complain after making 50 one-die blocks in a row.)
If you are losing...suck it up. Tell someone else than me.

I have lost 184 games to this date Very Happy

Luck had nothing to with that - pure me, baby!

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone is dumb enough to not set up a deep defense / all players on the los they deserve some stalling.

These discussions are sooo similar to the pvp forums in mmorpg:s like world of warcraft: *whiiine* why did you kill me?? The obvious answer:

Cause I could and I enjoyed it.
Master'sApprentice

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2: yup you, got me there. I forgot about American football. But at least in soccer you can get booked for stalling.

And I know it sounds ridiculous, but I didn't think of the thread to encouraging bitching about stuff. I was just hoping to provide an outlet so that people don't get verbose with each other (which I guess would be another grudge...); rather joke about it without causing offense.

At the end of the day, there are no right and wrong tactical approaches, and the debate's been done to death. I've been here maybe four days, and I've realised that one already.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Master'sApprentice wrote:
shadow46x2: yup you, got me there. I forgot about American football. But at least in soccer you can get booked for stalling.

No, you can't. You can get booked for wasting time while the ball is dead (but that's another matter). You can't get booked for 'stalling' while the ball is in play: unless some other foul is committed.

Watch Henry when he gets a through-ball at 1-0 up in the 90th minute. Does he sprint for the goal? No, he runs down into the corner at a leisurely pace, screens the ball for half a minute, then wins a throw-in. Then he doesn't take the throw-in himself, he waits for the full-back to jog up 50 yards or so to do so, and leaves it for him. Rinse and repeat until final whistle.

A general appeal: stop asking coaches to give up a strategy whose abandonment would favour certain teams over others.

(Oh, and I have a grudge against all teams and players who are better than mine ...)

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I sometimes stall and it ends in a win.blacklist me. i don't see what's wrong. I get stalled on also. play in U, less stalling there .

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I have grudges against two things.

First it is players who challenge me and then after I have agreed to the game changes their team roster in any way. It may be hiring starplayers, wizards, freebooters, firing cheerleaders, coaches or discarding rerolls. I don't care if it is better or worse for me. I know what the rules say, but it is NOT the same team I greed to playing. Before I properly learned the rules, this also ended in my one and only time my account where blocked. The only good thing that came out from this is that I managed to win my game against my opponent after the admins forced me to play him.

The second thing is coaches who tell me how to play the game. If I want to I can foul every single turn (I have maybe fouled about 10-15 times in 1008 games played, but if I want to I can do it). If I want to I can stall, if I want to I can cherrypick. I don't like when other coaches do this to me, but I dislike people telling other people what to do even more. Take it easy, and just relax. It is after all a game not real life. If a game gave me more trouble than pleasure I would stop playing altogether...
DanTheMan

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

First off, american football is not a real sport. Only my personal opinion of course.
Second, you can be penalised for delaying the game in football (soccer as some call it) even if the ball is in play. At a few occations I've seen it in the form of the referee booking a player, and I've also seen it in the form of economic penalty for the club after the game.
Third, in real life blood bowl I have never experienced such an overuse of stalling and fouling as I have on-line. Probably since you have some sort of personal relation with your opponent, either it being a friend, or in tournaments, a coach you have played against before.
I must clarify that I'm not against all forms of stalling or fouling just the excessive use of it. Stall 1 or 2 turns at the end of a half to keep the opponent getting to hit your LOS in the 8th turn is totally fine, but stalling from turn 3 just because you can is not. Fouling a few players that is a threat to your team is by all means ok, but to foul at every opportunity to get players off the field is not. The worst is coaches who see it fit to foul any player they can even when they have a full team while the opponent has maybe a handful of players on the pitch.
And finally, to compare it to real life sports: if a real team, in any sport, would use the same tactics it would find itself without a paying audience in no time.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm curious...why is american football not a real sport?...because you don't like it?...excluding the misnomer of "world champions" for the super bowl....give me a valid reason

--j

ImageImage
Voorn

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hafta agree with shady here Shocked ,American football is just as real of a sport as any other in the world. All you need is enough people to play it and it to "go pro" for it to be an "official" sport. Now, there are many sports I really dislike (golf for example), but I still recognize them as "real sports"

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"

Last edited by Voorn on %b %26, %2006 - %22:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

DanTheMan wrote:
Second, you can be penalised for delaying the game in football (soccer as some call it) even if the ball is in play. At a few occations I've seen it in the form of the referee booking a player, and I've also seen it in the form of economic penalty for the club after the game.

Give me a reference: I don't think this is true by the official rules of the game. I can only find references to 'deliberately delaying the restart of play' (ie - time-wasting when the ball is dead).

Look, if a full back wants to hold the ball down in his own corner of the pitch, and no opponent comes to press him, he can stand there with it <i>all day</i> if he pleases. It's only the whistling of the crowd that would get him to use it eventually: the ref has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Third, in real life blood bowl I have never experienced such an overuse of stalling and fouling as I have on-line. Probably since you have some sort of personal relation with your opponent, either it being a friend, or in tournaments, a coach you have played against before.

This is just a case of differences from person to person. For myself, I will foul <i>much more</i> than normal against people I know. After all, a stranger is only <i>probably</i> an unpleasant person whose players deserve to be fouled; whereas I <i>know for certain</i> that the coaches who I've met are unpleasant people whose players deserve to be fouled. Twisted Evil

Quote:
And finally, to compare it to real life sports: if a real team, in any sport, would use the same tactics it would find itself without a paying audience in no time.

So, no one attends Serie A matches? No one went to see Arsenal in the days of 'boring, boring Arsenal'? Chelsea were also mentioned above: their tickets aren't cheap. There are always fans who will pay to see winners, regardless of the manner in which they do it.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It's just because I don't like it. And I don't like it cause it's way too slow. You get 10 seconds of action for every 5 minutes of waiting. Of course that is somewhat exaggerated, but the effective play time is 1 hour, while it takes about 3 hrs to get through a game. Also, it's not very fun knowing that a large part of the players are more or less steroidusers. But I must say that it's fun to play, but sadly, not to watch.

Maybe I should have said that I don't see american football as a good spectator sport.
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2006 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Another example from real sports:

5 on 5 basketball rules:

http://falcon.tamucc.edu/~recsport/intramurals/rules/5-on-5%20Basketball%20Rules.pdf

Page 4, point 10: Stalling is allowed throughout the game Smile

Recently there was a 5v5 BB tournament with paying spectators at Boston university:

http://www.bu.edu/fitrec/intramural/bballtourn/index.html

So I guess people pay for stalling sports anyway :p
 Jump to: