46 coaches online • Server time: 15:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Secret League zombie...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Papermonster wrote:
I will be looking forward to my first SWL match/tournie and hopefully kick some of my fellow aussie butts. If ya not an aussie eg kiwi even better ><

Welcome Papermonster!

You can put all your teams in Fringe (which I know one already is) and start playing Fringe games. Note item #2 above - you need to play 10 Fringe games to qualify for SWL XVII.

Good luck!
Glutton

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

like the small tr increase incentive, now if only the afl could find a way to stop tanking...
nonchalance

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Did SWL really have a tanking issue?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Please note, I have edited my rules review post above as I forgot to include Point #4 re Regional Promotions.

Please take note.

Clay
Patrician

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the update Clay, good work admin.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

A coach finishing 3rd in a Regional divison should be given the option of promoting, even if their TR is 100, because they've earned that right more than the chump who finished almost last, didn't win any of his games, but has a bloated TR just due to his race. If the person finishing third doesn't want the promotion due to his low TR, he should be able to decline it, and then it is offered to the 4th place team, and so on and so forth.
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well done admins! All changes for the better I think, in particular lifting the TR cap for 2nd/3rd place getters is a nice touch.

A question though. Re rule 3. While I don't have any problem with the idea of expelling a coach after 2 forfeits, I assume this is just an expulsion from the main comp? (i.e. not SWL fringe etc). And do they have a way back in, presumably after somehow proving their renewed commitment?

Of course I'm only asking on behalf of others, as this would never happen to me ! Laughing
justbob

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I tend to agree with Symm regarding Point #4, because that is not neccessary encouraging playing to win (which I assume we want to do, hence the reason for point #1). Wouldn't this favour resilient teams that readily gain TR without scoring (maybe Ogres, Orcs, Khemri even?) to just bash other teams, build TR and sit on the bottom of the ladder until the draft gives them a spot, rather than reward the WE/Skaven/whatever else team that got the crap beat out of them on the way to finishing 3rd with a TR130? If I finished 3rd with a crap TR I would feel i'd earned the right for promotion before the TR160 Khemri in 8th.

Edit: not sure when this rule would be taking effect, but just had a look at the regionals from season 15, and the highest TR teams outside the top 2 spots are:

6. Gumbeast United gumbi 172/135 Khemri 13
8. Illawarra Stealers Miyuso 169/145 Elf 3
5. Grrrrrrrrrr Danoman 157/150 Lizardmen 13
6. Khemri Krush bartgoon 150/148 Khemri 13
4. Kelly LUVSdaElf damage 146/162 Human 17
3. Fool's Tools foolwholaughsatdeath 141/134 Dark Elf 22

Hope I have that right, the first number is their finishing position in their div. So in this case if we were after 4 extra teams to go up to the confs, we'd end up with 2 Khemri teams getting promoted (which both finished 6th). Nothing against the Khemri guys... but in this case they get preference to Fool's DE who finished 3rd?

Last edited by justbob on %b %22, %2006 - %07:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly.

I understand that many others wouldn't feel the same way, which is why I am lobbying for there to be a choice (this choice would not apply to the two teams finishing first & second, their immediate & unavoidable reward- barring retirement to Fringe- should still be a date in the Conferences).

Before somebody says it, yes I know the SWL is not a democracy, and no I don't expect the rules to be changed. I immediately thought of it the same way justbob has, and am trying to suggest ways it could be reworded to avoid these outcomes.

In the very unlikely event nobody wants the promotion spot, surely *that* is the time to take the choice out of their hands and make an Admin decision, not before they were given the option.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 07:52 Reply with quote Back to top

My team was a perfect example of point #4. My woodies got promoted to conference from 3rd place due to some drop outs. They had a TR of about 130 easily the lowest of the group. Then with a bit of luck the team went on to win their conference. In my opion (i agree with symm) the coach of the 3rd place team should have the option to accept the promotion. That is my 2 cents worth.
Bring on Season XVI the WDDs have had a taste of prem and they want back in!
justbob

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see it's probably a bit of a pain to have to go around asking everyone starting at 3rd on if they want the promotion or not, but I would be suprised if anyone knocked it back. And I'm sure whether it's a democracy or not that our illustrious leaders would be happy to get feedback from the masses.

Edit: Clay can you confirm if #4 is planned to kick in as of this season?
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Hope I have that right, the first number is their finishing position in their div. So in this case if we were after 4 extra teams to go up to the confs, we'd end up with 2 Khemri teams getting promoted (which both finished 6th). Nothing against the Khemri guys... but in this case they get preference to Fool's DE who finished 3rd?

Pretty much that exact thing has already happened. Gumbeast United seem to have been promoted back to the Conferences, after finishing 6th last season.

Protocol dictates that I continue this discussion in private email, to avoid an unsightly public slanging match. I suggest that anyone else who has suggestions regarding these changes do the same.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Awwww...but it's so much fun! Don't take the discussion behind closed doors, bring it out into the light, where we can all participate....

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Still room for one more?
Patrician

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2006 - 08:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah Linbab, the draft has already been done. But you can join up to SWL Fringe and start playing games there.

Also, see Clay's comment above re: item #2 - you need to play 10 Fringe games to qualify for SWL XVII (next season).
 Jump to: