31 coaches online • Server time: 13:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you concerned about Global Warming?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 32 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 48

f_alk

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Should Daft ever propose Pascale's Wager as a pro-argument in an existance-of-a-deity discussion, then i would not be surprised.
Daft

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Good evening Macavity

I was not looking to get you going but since I did, I'll come back and answer after I get back from work. I probably would not have replied to the other guy's post except that it was a direct uncalled for slap in my general direction. Indeed, my last post was full of venom directed towards him. I don't blame you for responding in kind though it was not directed at you.

I'll be back with a civil response a little later.

I really was not looking to talk politics at a blood bowl forum, but hey I did not start the thread.
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...as I see it, gobal warming is not a theory, but its difficult to prove whether its caused by nature, human or is acceleratde by human.

I tend to believe in the last one.

About the Al Gore movie, I havent seen that, but I would like too. But I have an idea, that it might be a bit one-sided, like most Michael Moore(although I agree with him, but its a bit one-sided).
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Dang, did I sound venomous? Memo to self: post AFTER coffee.......

For the record my feelings on the presented issue are as follows:

Global Warming is largely beside the point. The various toxic emmisions we produce are not good for us. Who cares about the long term effects, lets do what we can to keep the air and water clean, as long as no one starves as a result.

And study Philosophy! It's enlightening and lets you sound like a pompous freak when necessary!

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I blame politicians, scientists, and self-important pious Blood Bowl players.

OldBugman

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Damage is done.

Tons of refrigerant used to get dumped into the atmosphere before we knew any better.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

DCF!
Fama

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 07:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Goddammit, if you're gonna have a flame war, at least make the posts shorter. Second page has been some improvement, but the first page was a pain to read Sad

Post 10 Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Halleluja! Is it getting warmer? We could use that up here in Sweden! Wink

Scientist in Denmark revealed that the Ozone layer actually have started to repair itself acording tu their studies. And they said, this summer, that it is beacuse of the ban of freone (sry dont know the english word for it). So we can actyallu make a difference. but then, who can trust the scientist?

I read today that there is open sea all the way to the Nort Pole now. A crack in the ice has open up, a crack bigger than the UK. They blame it on the global warning. I wonder wich adventurer will be the first to water skii all the way to the North Pole. Peary/Henson will turn in his grave!
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay, i totally forgot about this thread again.

Daft, i simply responded in kinf to your first rather childish post. And im afraid that, after reading your reply, im still not impressed. Macavity though, have already addressedmostofthe issues i had with it. And im REALLY loking forward to seeing your new arguments now Wink

One thing im not sure people are aware of though, is that Global Warming goes hand in hand with Global Dimming. The amount of solar energy that has hit the earths surface have slowly degraded, at least over the last 50-100 years. This is caused by aerosol particles, caused by air pollution, that changes clouds to become more reflective, thus reflecting more of the suns energy back into space. There is empirical evidence, that during the 9/11 crisis, when all the planes in the US where grounded, and thus not leaving any jet engine contrails, the temperature rised. There was an increase in the diurnal temperature range that was measureable over the entire country. The temperature dropped again when the planes once again took to the sky.

There are experts that believe global dimming have also masked the true extend of the global warming, since the effect of the two phenomena are opposite. Anyways, I can recommend everyone to research global dimming someomre, BBC has made an excellent documentary, that was absolutely chilling to watch, even if they where only half correct.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

magan174 wrote:
Halleluja! Is it getting warmer? We could use that up here in Sweden! Wink

. will probably just mean more insects and less mammals up there... so won't be bad for you... lets not forget we're speaking here of a worldwide global warming of 1 to 5 degrees.... whats really nice for erm... nonpeons at all

as long you dont life in regions like holland or seatlle this should cause not that big troubles.. its true we dont really know if its earth or humans who're mainly responsible for the climate change and its true earth could even regulate the process strait into the the other direction we want it to go in days...

but if nature or not the fact there's ice smelting at the poles that has been there for millions of years and the planetary rainforest is lumberd down to nearly the half (i know you not allone mean the forest if you talk about global warming) since the biginning of this century makes me think that its at least not very nice to erase holland and every flatland in this world from the map... just because i know i live on probably the last place on earth that will definatly not be flooded/earthquaked/stormed/vulcaned...

oh dam... theres one thing that can happen to me even here... a traffic jam.. damn.. we're all doomed

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %21, %2006 - %09:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Nighteye: Not sure what show you saw about global dimming mate, but I had a friend show me this the other day. I haven't had a good chance to check it all out, but it's certainly on topic.

http://www.carnicom.com/

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_prog_summary.shtml It was this program.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

pictures of a... coniferous wood?

edit: yeah i know... needles are damm dangerous... did you know the earth had once just coniferous woods? could imagine climate has done its part to help sprawl leaf wood everywhere in the warmer regions.... .... ... like mushrooms ...mmh yumyum
GrinningD

Post 15 Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'd quickly just like to say that I am another person against the 'man is behind global warming' nonsense that so regularly appears in our news. That's just being arrogant, much along the same lines as 'God created the Earth for mankind' and 'Humans are the only intelligent life in the galaxy.'

However, since global warming is not our fault should we just carry on as we are?

I think the bigger danger from pollution is the poisoning of humans, not the damage to the planet. I personally would prefer to breath nice fresh clean air and live a long and lung cancer free life but living here in London 5 years of breathing these fumes results in a lung looking much the same as a 40 a day smoker has.

Honestly, acid rain, acidic rivers, smog, lung cancer, all of these are what we should be trying to eliminate by reducing pollution, we need to start looking after ourselves, the earth can take care of itself.

PS Just heard about the Calafornian Government suing the Car industries on the radio this morning. Go them. If you want a real eye opening movie to watch then go see 'Who Killed The Electric Car' and ask yourself why, 10 years after it's mass production we aren't all driving around in these cheap, efficient things?

~GeeDee
 Jump to: