62 coaches online • Server time: 17:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pro511

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2006 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I found it interesting.

For something you guys didn't, y'all certainly spent a heck of a lot of time on it.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2006 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Newbie511 wrote:
I found it interesting.

For something you guys didn't, y'all certainly spent a heck of a lot of time on it.

Very Happy

true. But that's my way of beeing a heavy poster (and the biggest again, I suppose)

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2006 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

heavy and big?
Or fat and large?
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2006 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon wrote:
heavy and big?
Or fat and large?

Huge an incredible

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to throw in a few cents. I have played quite a bit LRB 5, our table top league has switched over.
Some comments with regard to fend. Fend is an absolutely great skill! It is soooooo annoying to play against, when you read the skill description you think "that's all???" but then consider how many times you are planning and taking follow ups into account as an essential part of your actions.
Fend players on the LoS on defence are great as they usually are free to redeploy afterwards unless your opponent brings in extra players.
They can stop a cage dead in its tracks.
They can counter killer skills like Frenzy and especially Piling On. Very necesary for every AV 7 team.
Fend also works well on catchers, opponents marking catchers will often opt not to block a catcher as pushing him will free him up completely.
Fend can completely stop any attempt to break through the sidelines.
On some points it works like a poor man's side step, guarding sidelines and countering frenzy but for certain teams Fend is very usefull defensive skill which allows them easier assist placement (which is the best thing, especially for non AG 4 teams). I see it's main use on (low strength) catcher types and general access only linemen (skaven, humans, hobgobs, skeletons,...) as a second or third skill.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

TuernRedvenom wrote:
Just to throw in a few cents. I have played quite a bit LRB 5, our table top league has switched over.
Some comments with regard to fend. Fend is an absolutely great skill! It is soooooo annoying to play against, when you read the skill description you think "that's all???" but then consider how many times you are planning and taking follow ups into account as an essential part of your actions.
Fend players on the LoS on defence are great as they usually are free to redeploy afterwards unless your opponent brings in extra players.
They can counter killer skills like Frenzy and especially Piling On. Very necesary for every AV 7 team.
Fend also works well on catchers, opponents marking catchers will often opt not to block a catcher as pushing him will free him up completely.
On some points it works like a poor man's side step, guarding sidelines and countering frenzy but for certain teams Fend is very usefull defensive skill which allows them easier assist placement (which is the best thing, especially for non AG 4 teams). I see it's main use on (low strength) catcher types and general access only linemen (skaven, humans, hobgobs, skeletons,...) as a second or third skill.

I must admit that I find that very interesting. I guess I will take some fend players either Very Happy

the catcher thing also is very interesting!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

TuernRedvenom wrote:

Yes, good points.
I am playing a Norse team, and since all linemen have Block already, you start to think about what to give a lino as 2nd or 3rd skill. Since I had DP, Kick, Tackle, 2 Strip Ball and one Guard (!) already, I gave one lino Fend as first skill. Played only one game so far (and only one Fend player), but he was good to have. One free assist. After that game I decided to give the Guard lino Fend as well. A free moving assist with Guard must even be better.
I guess I might go for a 3rd, maybe a 4th Fend player. And if only to see my opponents face when I tell him again, he can´t follow up... Wink
nin

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

TuernRedvenom wrote:

nice for players who can't usually dodge as well BOBs, Longbeards... no more Stand Firm dodges... can be impresive for Saurus
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Not that I've played LRB5, but I don't think you should exagguerate how often a fend player will be freed thanks to fend. If the blocker has assists, he might be able to push the fend player into the TZ of one of the assists. That said, I have no doubts that fend it quite useful.
TuernRedvenom

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
Not that I've played LRB5, but I don't think you should exagguerate how often a fend player will be freed thanks to fend. If the blocker has assists, he might be able to push the fend player into the TZ of one of the assists. That said, I have no doubts that fend it quite useful.

Of course, but consider 2 opposing str 3 players (A and B), vs your str 3 player with fend (F). A blocks F, B assists. Pushback, A pushes F in B's TZ but can't follow up. B is now denied the normally easy assist of A for blocking on F.
And there are plenty more situations where Fend can be really annoying.

edit: not saying it's a must-have skill like block though, but I certainly think it will initially be underrated.
johan

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2006 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Fend looks pretty nice as a secondary skill for players with just general access, and for those Longbeards/Chaos Dwarves which don't pick SF. I expect it will be very common on Norse linemen. For Agility players, Sidestep/Fend looks quite cute.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2006 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW, this is the best LRB 5 analysis I've seen yet:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1133197

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
BusterXXXL

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2006 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

One question to the ppl who already have some experience with LRB 5. Does it only look to me that way or has the importance of Fan Factor been heavily reduced?

-FF adds 1000 Fans per F to 2d6
-On Kickoff Results having more Fans (higher Fame) gives +1 to a d6 roll or a d3-roll+coaches/cheerleaders
-On Income having higher FAME gives straight +10.000 and thats it?

Which means IMHO there is no big Difference between having a FF of 2 or of 20 as long as it is higher than your opponents?
And having an especially high FF would even be detrimental, as it raises your Team Value unless you use the extra rule that lets everyone start with FF5 and makes FF free?

This should be considered as a question if I understood things right.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2006 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

BusterXXXL wrote:
One question to the ppl who already have some experience with LRB 5. Does it only look to me that way or has the importance of Fan Factor been heavily reduced?

-FF adds 1000 Fans per F to 2d6
-On Kickoff Results having more Fans (higher Fame) gives +1 to a d6 roll or a d3-roll+coaches/cheerleaders
-On Income having higher FAME gives straight +10.000 and thats it?

Which means IMHO there is no big Difference between having a FF of 2 or of 20 as long as it is higher than your opponents?
And having an especially high FF would even be detrimental, as it raises your Team Value unless you use the extra rule that lets everyone start with FF5 and makes FF free?

This should be considered as a question if I understood things right.

When creating a team for LRB5 games, you usually don´t start out with a too high FF, thus somewhere between 1 and 4, I guess (maybe more on Halfling teams and the like, if you need every advantage you can get). With the new FF-rolls the maximum FF to be reached in theory is 18, but I guess, for good teams/coaches it will be around 10 max.

FF is only important for getting the FAME, but effects of FAME are rather small once you care to buy cheerleaders and coaches.

I think you are completely right in what you write FF affects and your conclusions as well.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2006 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

if you have double the fans of your oppoent, you'll get +2/+20k to those rolls.