39 coaches online • Server time: 12:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The dwarf/halfling game commenced, and all credit to Csonti for battling out a tough draw. Of course, it might've been easier had his fling armor started breaking a little earlier in the match--most of my cas came too late to affect game outcome--but it's all good. I'm losing ground on the leaders in this tourney, but that's ok, I'll make it up. I refuse to get a cheap victory via stalling--ask the norse and the flings. Even if it costs me a win (norse) or potentially turns a draw into a loss (fling) I will score at earliest opportunity to keep play going. Much more fun that way, and isn't that what a tournament is all about anyway?

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Peeps...

I am getting quite tired of this...but still I dont want to end this League.

I have put many energy in pushing it to work. At the beginning i was smooth considering that it was starting and not yet in the mindset of people.

But it have been nearly 2 months now...no games are being played since a while besides an exception or 2.

I am putting this season on a hold. Play your games if you are capable of... but im not going to push until WE find a way to make it work.

I am open to anyone's ideas, options or whatever. It seemingly cant work as it is now....considering many coaches unwillingness to dedicate to the league.

Some people have been away for a long time. I know some have personal issues here or there, but at least they messaged ME about it first hand. This behavior is for me a sign of dedication...

Although all those that are not playing their games, or not participating in a way or another are not the kind of Coach I asked for in the beginning.

I know there are coaches in the league that are dedicated...enough in my own mind to consider a league...

As for this... I am making a Roll Call.

Starting at the posting of this message, you all have 48 hours to answer in this Forum.

Not in a PM to me, nor on IRC, nor here... You post in this Forum.

I might seem pissed or autocrat in my way to deal with this, but it is not the case...

You all have 48 Hours to post in here if you are willing to keep going after we find a viable compromise for everyone.
As well as repeating your dedication to the league, I am asking of you all to post:

-Your Timezone in GMT -/+
-The hours you general show up on Fumbbl, by your local time.
-Your personal opinions on how the league have been held and worked since its beginning
-Your ideas (or lack of it) on how to improve it.

I am open to any idea or opinion. Shutting up in fear of not having the same opinion of me will get you kicked out. I consider that a dedicated player SHOULD have an opinion, and Might have ideas...This is OUR league, i am just the commissary of it.

After the 48 hours, anyone not answering to this Call with the information asked will be kicked out, no matter what.

Thank you Everyone,

Wyrmtainter.
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I am interested in continuing.

My time zone is US Eastern (GMT-5).

I generally check in with the intent to play around 9:30pm my local time and also around noon on weekends, though I generally won't just sit in chat for very long; I expect to have my games scheduled. I can and will schedule other times.

I think the league was generally running fairly well, up until recently when things seem to have come to a halt. I wasn't thrilled with the two games a week idea, I think it's too fast a pace especially for a league where folks are playing across significant time zone differences, but was willing to give it a shot. I don't really think that's likely to have been the problem though not enforcing some sort of schedule for a fairly significant period of time (I'm obviously not aware of anything that might have done behind the scenes to prod folks along) might be.

The two things I can think of which might improve things would be to match people up by timezone and to drop the rate of play to a game a week and see how that goes (most leagues I've been a part of have had a schedule of 10 days to two weeks and still have a few unplayed games....) Also to perhaps grant a few days grace period but then move the schedule along unless you've received communication from the involved coaches that demands more leniency (my own experience running a league was that you generally don't hear about problems until you start threatening to end the round and then it's invariably the other guys fault....)

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak's Bio wrote:
Time zone: +10:30 GMT

I'm often online between 18:00 and 22:30 local time on weekdays (that's 07:30, and 12:00 GMT). Weekends can vary a lot - feel free to leave me a message if you want to pre-arrange a match.

Unfortunately, my timezone makes thinks a lot trickier than they otherwise would be. All of my games so far have had to be played on weekends, as the coaches I have played are all in europe. My next game is against AFK_Eagle, who is in canada, and once again we'll have to play on a weekend.

This is the only reason I can see that stops the leage from moving quickly.

I think that it really needs to be localised geographically (or at least localised to a particular time). Many of the coaches appear to be european, so maybe saying that you need to be able to play between 1800 and 2200 GMT would work. Obviously this would cut a few people out (including me), but I think it would make things run a lot more smoothly.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I'm in North Dakota, USA, but close enough. I'm in CST, or GMT -6 hrs. Most evenings during the week I'm on from 8-11 my time, very rarely on Saturday and just about any time on Sunday.

Set time limits for games to be played, and agreed, not playing everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, took a lot of steam out of this tourney. I always finish what I start, so better count on the dwarves making their statement for league domination!

Oh, btw, the dwarves beat the chaos for a second time this tourney. Smile Bring on the High Elves!

If you intend to do another such league in the future, I can help out with creating a schedule. Years of playing fantasy football helps in knowing how to set up schedules! Remember, you don't necessarily HAVE to use the "set up a tournament" function on the page, you could instead merely have written in the text section "Schedule is as follows:..."

Last edited by AFK_Eagle on %b %22, %2005 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with LurkingGrue completely. Even on the TimeZone.

Z
Csonti

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Timezone: GMT+1

Usually avalaible from monday to saturday during the daylight hours and occasionally here at other random times.

As others said it already, timezone difference can delay a match considerably. And yes, probably a 1 match per week tempo would be more appropriate.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Actually I'm in North Dakota, USA, but close enough. I'm in CST, or GMT -6 hrs (I believe...can't remember if it's -5 during daylight savings or not...). I'll post my other thoughts later...right now, it's bed time.

Oh, btw, the dwarves beat the chaos for a second time this tourney. Smile Bring on the High Elves!

My mistake sorry - but i guess it's about the same time difference Wink

The high elves look forward to showing your dwarves how to play ball - some of the mseem to have developed sudden ailments, and sadly won't be able to play Sad
i guess it means i've got a guaranteed 3 players for the next game Razz
Aconite

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

My time zone is straight GMT (living in the wonderful [and currently snowy] England as I do)

Generally on FUMBBL from 7pm during the week, and various points during the weekends. Though prefer to get times arranged in advance so I can make sure they get played (even if it means getting up at half 2 in the morning!)

Think the league lost a bit of its charm when it ended up not being played the way we'd all thought it would when we signed up - namely playing every other race once. That was something I looked forward to, but now find myself in a division where I'll be playing some people for the second time...

(Brad Osberg)
SerXes

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Im on Fumbbl time (GMT +1).

Im here mostly evenings but available on most times.

I agree with most other people that the rate of games should be set to 1 game every week/10day period and have a pickup time and if the game isnt played then its forfeited.

Regards SerXes
cyric612

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interested in continueing
I'm on the east coast of the US gmt-5
i'm usually on from 2:30 pm to 8pm and can usually schedule games at different times on my days off (as well as stay on later at night)
Pretty much agree with lurking although i usually have an easier time getting together with people in the gmt ish timezones as I have to work early in the morning hard to stay on later to catch the people in my own time zone that work more normal hours. But I usually manage to get my games in and am ahead in most of the leagues i'm in. I think more of a set amount of time (10 -14 days then move on would probably work at keeping it going better then dropping the serial offenders of not getting games in)
Cyric612
svartkrona

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

im in gmt +1.... and im on somewhere between 16:00 and 21:00 every day.... in weekends i have no "timelimit"... so i can pretty much play anytime then.....

and i dont really know what to do about the tournement.... how to make it run smoother.....
Frankie

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Tz: GMT +1 If I have time, I play surely. No fixed times, so if you're from the other side of the globe, tell me when you have time, and I will try to meet you.
Reventlov

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'm at GMT +1 (Sweden) and actually never have had any problems with timezones.....I'm flexible. My best times for playing is 22.00-02.00 local time, any day. So far all my games have been in that time zone...Smile
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2005 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

my TZ is GMT+1.
I think it is lame that some people just quit the league, that didn't help. And the fact that weeks have gone by without playing in a group(middle division) is just sad. Cmon people get your games played.
The bad thing about not playing all the races is, that you can have a maximum of 20 teams in Round Robin:/

Burn