41 coaches online • Server time: 20:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2014 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Sutherlands wrote:
Wouldn't that basically turn it to 2-1-0? Unless the difference was 3-0-3 vs 0-6-0.
Well, it's 14 games, so it would come up. You may interpret this as an indictment of 3-1-0 in formats based on four-team competitive pools, plus an acknowledgment that having a lot more wins at the same W% (2-1-0) makes a pretty good first tiebreaker. I'd note that 7-3-0, with or without a 2-point margin, fixes the problem of ties being better than half a loss in playoff terms that the NFL's strict W% system runs.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2014 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't the NFL not have ties? Because that fixes them pretty well.
Ziggyny

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2014 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Donovan McNabb would like to have a word with you...
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2014 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hahaha! Got it. If two teams are within 2 VP, then add the following in, one at a time, until one team is +3 VP or all three factors have been thrown in.

Division: Head-to-head VP; VP in division games.
Conference: HtH; common games; conference games.
Draft: HtH; division games; common games.

Head to Head would always be decisive except in case of trade or tie: the minimum non-zero swing is 7 points.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2014 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Ziggyny wrote:
Donovan McNabb would like to have a word with you...
The Eagles made the playoffs on the strength of that tie, IIRC. The problem is that a team with two ties in the NFL system (a hypothetical, not a likely scenario) gets an infinitesimal mathematical advantage over a team with none, effectively making "most ties" the first tiebreaker. IMO that sucks, or would suck if it ever came up, which it won't in the NFL but would here. 7-3-0 basically makes "fewest ties" the first tiebreaker (3-1-0 goes well beyond that). My proposal here is an effort to make "fewest ties" a deep (or deep-ish) tiebreaker, unless the margin is large.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2014 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

We've been through this before. I think draws should not gain in advantage over wins, I think the 7-3 to relate things to touchdowns and field goals is silly and has no real basis in the fluff. The NFL doesn't give a team 7 points for winning a game. If you want to make the scoring system like the NFL you do what NWFL did and make it 2-1-0. Or you add in overtime for all games. That said, I'm not a proponent of adding in overtime due to the increased length of games in general.

I'm not sure why you say 3-1 doesn't work in divisional formats, seemed it worked well enough for 11 seasons before this change. Draws are killers, as they should be, draws are like losing, because you didn't win. Draws shouldn't be a bonus because you didn't lose.

Blowouts are the goal in every game though. You make it sound as though coaches should play for a tighter match for some reason. The favorites should be the favorites, why do we want to throw bones to the underdog? In any case, when the underdog does score a draw it now hurts the favorite LESS. You say it helps the underdog more? The underdog, normally, isn't even competing for the division anyway, they are playing spoiler, and now you just made it hurt less to wind up 1-1 vs. some team you think you are better than. (*cough*JETS*cough* Wink)

Frankly I don't like the 2-1 scoring in NWFL either. Due to the nature of bloodbowl, where draws are far more frequent, adopting the scoring used in sissy kick makes much more sense. Trying to cram NFL style scoring (at least we're not doing the stupidity of the NHL...) into a system which doesn't play at all like NFL games doesn't make a lot of sense to me. To put this another way, last season I worried about how to beat a team. This season... not so much, just working for a draw is going to be good enough, as the points you drop in the standings simply isn't that bad. So this system seems to have a chance of making coaches even more conservative later in the season. If you're up a win and a draw (10 points vs. 4 points in the old system) you can simply take 2 draws in the final 2 games and be assured of winning the division. In the old system 2 draws and you can still be caught (tie breakers pending).

It doesn't really matter though, I just don't like it. You or someone ran the numbers on the last season and this change to the scoring system didn't change the standings in any meaningful way. Which is a reason NOT to do it in my opinion. Because it didn't gain you anything you claim it should. So it's just some hand waving math about what you think should be given more weight with no actual basis in improving anything, or, indeed, actually changing anything.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2014 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry, guys. I'm taking the season off JRPRs. If anyone wants to take on Power Rankings, go ahead. But my brain isn't up to it of late. Sad I'd rather drop the Power Rankings than drop a league. Wonderfully the timing on this means I don't have to be the guy who puts himself in the top 5. Razz This is a great job for a second-season coach: looking at you, Bullroarer, Oryx, OTS.

@ Licker, I think the best way to think of 7-3-0 is as an attempt to filter out the perversity of both Euro and American scoring systems. Put another way, it's an acknowledgment of the flaws of pure W% and a rejection of the perversities of pure "sissykick" 3-1-0. Could have been 5-2-0, 9-4-0, 11-5-0… but 7-3-0 does the job nicely and has a cute coincidental commonality with NFL in-game scoring. Please don't confuse the latter for the main reasonng; the main cause is that it fixes the problem of 2-1-0 without going too far like 3-1-0 does.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to hear you're dropping the power rankings, but I realize how much time these things can take, thanks for all the past work!

We will have to agree to disagree that there was any problem with 3-1-0 in the 1st place then. I didn't see any reason to change, and from the initial convo the actual selling point was the similarity to touchdowns and field goals.

That said, whatever. It's just a scoring system, it doesn't really matter that much, even though I think that big point totals at the end of the season are going to look kind of weird.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, that's the third-best part. 7x14=98~100. Think of it as a rather parsimonious percentile system. "I have 27 of a possible 35 VP. If I lost out from here I'd be just over .270; if I won out I'd be at 90 VP, a little better than .900."

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

no........ just stop
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh, I'm describing a done deal: it's kind of a percentile system now. Like a class where test 1 of 14 is >7% of your grade, and you get graded either 0, 3, or 7.

But yeah, this avenue has been explored thoroughly. I think the range of opinion probably runs from "harmless/useless tinker" to "fun fix for minor/common problem." (I'd argue that it's less "minor" than "ubiquitous" which puts this fix in the "clever" category, but I'll settle for "fun".) So we can leave it at that.

Back to topic: anybody wanna do power rankings?

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

JR you are making me want to revert my decision back to the old 3-1-0 system.

K.I.S.S.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

You should pay attention less... like me! Smile
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Off that topic, please. No more from me, it's done. Was trying to get off of it, just responding to a new concern that I'd already thought through ('cause I do that).

Like I said, I can't do JRPRs anymore, I can't mentally manage even the simplest database at the moment. I can write, but, alas, I can't keep the teams straight. Anybody want it?

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2014 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to do it, but I don't have the free time. I'd need to watch every game and make notes etc. my current situation just doesn't warrant that unfortunately.
 Jump to: