11 coaches online • Server time: 03:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like this new rule?
Yes, it's worth a try
7%
 7%  [ 32 ]
No, but i would like some other way to prevent elfbowling
6%
 6%  [ 28 ]
I don't like elfbowling, but i don't think we can do anything about it
18%
 18%  [ 79 ]
Elbowling is fine
66%
 66%  [ 280 ]
Total Votes : 419

Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

/me wrote recent blog on the reality of cherrypicking. Highest rated other than birth announcement!

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

So let me instill new life in this rotten body: someone care to explain me why elfbowling=cherrypicking?

I don't think it does, I just think people are lumping together lame behaviour under the banner of a single word. Another example of this is labelling lame music as emo, because we all hate emo, right? Very Happy
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate EMI
...So yes, I hate music Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Jan, what is so scary about Busko's Skaven Team?

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ban bloodbowl it just causes arguments!

Ban moaning about resurecting old threads. People like arguements. Even old arguments that have already been argued to death.

Elfbowling=cherrypicking.

Cherrypicking: Picking games that you believe will give you a better than even chance of a favourable result.

Favourable results: winning the game, Not suffering any deaths/niggles/MNG, skilling up three or more players, causing three or more deaths, making the other coach cry e.t.c. take your pick.

Only the coach who does the picking knows for sure that it was an attempted pick.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2007 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
Any open league encourages cherry picking (which is all Elfbowling is in essence).

Get rid of Rank and you get rid of Elfbowling/Cherry Picking.

I disagree entirely. Elfball isnt cherrypicking, it's a preference for a different style of play that both coaches can enjoy.

Many cherrypickers are also elfballers, it dosent mean that they're the same though.

Many cherrypickers dont do it for reasons of CR. Some do but just by achieving that CR they are gaining more "prestige" and more people take a look at their playing practices. I doubt that many people who have looked at the successful (CR wise) cherrypickers respect them at all. Recognition without respect and in fact recognition with dislike is not a good thing.

Cherrypicking works for those people who like to keep their team alive. For whatever reason it makes them feel a bit happier. This has nothing to do with rank.

PS Since you didnt bother to read the thread (well, you did admit that) then you would've been better advised to start your own thread, where you could place your own emphasis. If you had to you could've linked to this thread but its generally easier to spot where a new argument begins and what it stands for if its in a new thread.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2007 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Arctaeus wrote:
Elfbowling is fine.
(joins in the debate)

I dont agree with this eiter. Very Happy

It may not be the same as cherrypicking but I do agree that it can unbalance the whole Ranked league.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ranzimus

Post   Posted: Dec 26, 2007 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

All elfbowlers are cherrypicking, but not all cherry-pickers are Elfbowling. I see it as a form of cherrypicking and since casualties are part of the game, choosing matches that in any way distort the chances of casualties, DOES mess with balance. This is true of those who seek soft teams agasint whom to play and also those who play the game only to maim. I have given up asking players for matches for the most part. I just throw my teams in gamefinder and see who bites. Clicking on a name and typing the preamble and offer and whatnot only to be dismissed or told to f-off, is annoying. I've played a couple of really fun games in the last week just waiting for someone to ask this wallflower to dance.

Can't wait for the Black Box! "The Black Box is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're gonna get..." or something like that. Sure there may be the odd chocolate-covered 'Cherry', but at least it's already been picked for you.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

elfbowling's for sissies. Where's the blood in it? : P
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sad

Gus

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm....
/me gets an image about a man, a horse and a stick....

(NO SPOONY, not that! *sigh* there is always someone....)
HasniM

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

My woodies tend to hit back hard. They take it in the face if they can't do the two turn score, but meanwhile, they have to pound the other guy if they're going to have any chance to get the ball back.

Zombie69 wrote:
The T16 foul had nothing to do with bitterness and everything to do with balance again. Trying to cause a CAS to a team that will avoid CAS, to restore balance, ever so slightly.

And again, this game had nothing to do with it. I've always hated leagues that allowed elfbowling. Many, many years ago, in OLBBL, i challenged an elfbowling team with my own wood elves and did everything i could to maim them, to do my little part against elfbowling. So this is nothing new.

And like i said, keep sracraft out of it.

For the third time, i ask you to step out of this thread and let other people speak. We already know what you think. Now let's hear what others have to say.
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranzimus: Does elven armor suddenly shoot up to 11 when facing other elf teams??? 7AV is 7AV. I think your lack of Agilitied teams shows you are no authority on the subject. And the two agility teams you do have have both been, guess what....elfbowling. Elfbowling = Cherrypicking

Your hypocrisy seems to know no bounds.

/me uses power word KILL on this thread*

Last edited by Tor_AlKir on %b %25, %2008 - %07:%Feb; edited 3 times in total
SmilinMatt

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should ban TDs

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

not going to read the 17 pages.

Short answer to banning elf ball or making a special rule towards playing against elves: no

Boo hoo, so they score 1 td in 2 turns or less. You know its hard enough getting a player skilled enough with av7 without getting hurt a lot.

Maybe bashers should play against elves more to learn how to setup a proper defense, and maybe take diving tackle on a few of their double rolls instead of another boring claw or something, and pass block to get it on the guy.

So yeah, no need to ban elf ball for bashing coaches being inept at defense, they'll get their turn to bash them up.
 Jump to: