63 coaches online • Server time: 19:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Its cheating in the bloodbowl world, thats part of what makes it fun.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Andilas, im pretty certain pete was joking about wanting fouling banned Laughing
also since you are new i have to point out that the "its called BLOODbowl" arguement is one that does often lead to people getting mocked here. your arguement is pretty much correct from my point of view but i thought id be nice and point out the flaming that DOES often occur when you use the BLOODbowl arguement. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, it's a direct quote from the Blood Bowl novel trilogy. It irks me more when my nimble and crafty catcher goes for it, fails, trips, and DIES, completely by accident; than it does for a lineman to get gang-raped by a bunch of goblins.

I do understand if new players kinda rail against fouling at first, because we're raised that, in sports, fouling is wrong... except in hockey.

But when seasoned players gripe about one of the original game mechanics, it makes me wonder when it will migrate to "no one should get KO'd, BH'd, SI'd, or RIP'd" and then it's just a game of "Flowers and Sugar" football. I think people would understand the game a bit more if they read the books, to be honest. I did that first, and it all made a LOT more sense.

Whenever people gripe about the foul, it just reminds me of the movie, "Snatch", when Gorgeous George head-butts the heavy bag twice.

Tommy: Is 'e allowed to do that?
Turkish: It's unliscensed boxing, not a tickling competition. These lads are out to 'urt each otha.

However, if he wasn't serious, then my bad. I didn't see any emotes to denote a joke.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

those seasoned players are entitled to their opinions as much as we've been saying the noobs are Smile
wether or not you agree with it its up to them if they choose to be anti-fouling and we should always respect others rights to seek fun in their own way and expect them do do the same for us. after all.. for most people blood isnt the only aspect of the game.
my personal opinion on the mater is fairly well publicised but that certainly doesnt mean im going to berrate even the most experienced coach for not fouling. after all i dont tend to pass much Smile

and yes... not knowing pete yourself it would be easy to assume he was serious. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The key difference between paul and me.

I love berating experienced coaches who are utter sissies.

__Synn
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

wow.... noob bashing, shadow hating, cherrypicking, flame wars and fouling all in one thread..... quick somebody fetch spir0 and we'll have a full house \o/

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
The key difference between paul and me.

I love berating experienced coaches who are utter sissies.

__Synn

and as you well know i will happily join you if they are anti fouling/ bashing with their own elves but then have a dwarf team full of dp that plays vrs lots of elves..... dont you wish we could name names sometimes? Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
wow.... noob bashing, shadow hating, cherrypicking, flame wars and fouling all in one thread..... quick somebody fetch spir0 and we'll have a full house \o/

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Good enough? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
dont you wish we could name names sometimes? Smile

Glimmervoid is probably safe Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
nexusvalhees

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Andilas wrote:
Why is fouling cheating? It's permitted in the rules. It just has potential reprocussions. But other than the possibility of the Ref sending your dude out, there's no real reason to not foul an opposing player if the opportunity is there. Making a move other than intercepting the ball with a player that has Pass Block is cheating. Fouling is a part of the game, same as passing. If there are skills and secret weapons in the game that make fouling more destructive, then clearly it is allowed by the rules, and therefore not cheating.

It's called BLOOD bowl for a reason.

See that was pete you cant take anything he says seriously I might be mistaken but I'm almost positive he's joking. As per the fluff it is actualy cheating thats why the reff can send you off. On a side note i think you are also joking because you used BLOOD bowl but I don't know ya as well as I know pete so I cant be sure.

Remember folks if you don't go out of your way to kill good players AGING IS YOUR FAULT!!
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Andilas wrote:
It's called BLOOD bowl for a reason.

This arguement is the equivalent to using Hitler, GWB and Mao in one post to back up ones point on other boards.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 12:22
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, the use of the phrase 'Its called BLOOD bowl' is pretty much seen as an instant loss in any arguement.

and, as is tradition, i would like to add:

Its called bloodbOWL

I WANT MORE OWLS

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Since we have jumped on the fouling train (wohoo, prepare to derail even further!) I have always found it a bit weird that prefering to play without a massive amount of fouls (which usually labels you as being anti-fouling for some reason) is somehow equaled to being a coward.

Some of us might just not like excessive fouling because it takes away the fun of the match experience. It's too random to me. A lucky guy can foul your team to pieces while an unlucky one will cause a stun in exchange for his player getting sent off.

At the moment I'm extra hesitant to playing heavy foulers because Nuffle's new plan to torment me involves my opponents having a completly unrealistic amount of succesful Argue the Call rolls. I kid you not, they succeed more often than they fail. It's been lasting for about two months now. He's funny that way the old Nuffler.

I think it's kind of weak for people to refuse playing teams with dirty players out of principle, but I do have full respect for people chosing to not play teams with 3 or more dp's or against coaches that are notorious foulers.
Paulhicks seems like a charming guy, so no personal resentment involved in any way, but from his rumor I don't think I would enjoy playing a match against him. Unless that team was about to be retired anyway, hehe.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I WANT MORE OWLS

I'm sorry, Purple. That joke is officially dead.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&op=view&player_id=5205153

Wink
foresttim

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2008 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

You see I think Paul's misrepresented. I put Dawn of the dead in the player to watch the other day and it wouldn't work. So craving blood and gore I decided to watch Paul play instead. It was rubbish hardly any fouling and at one point one of his players picked up the ball for goodness sakeTo compound matters he might even have run it in for a td. (my memories a bit hazy the meds were kicking in at this point) I ended up watching You've got Mail with the missus...pathetic...
 Jump to: