37 coaches online • Server time: 09:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Request to Maintain ...goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

That treeman was based off of the treebeard lotr model, the first time GW had the licence.

That looks quite a rare variant though. I have 4 or 5 of these, and none of mine have a curly beard or a birds nest on the shoulder pad. That could have been green stuffed on though.

Very top heavy figure on a 40/40 base, hate to think what he's like on that base!
thegr8mirror

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2008 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new goul chewer is amazing.

http://www.blood-bowl-miniatures.de/bb/bb_archiv/bb_images/bb5_varag.jpg
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2008 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Favorite Blood Bowl minis:

2E Skaven Throwers 1 and 2
More than any other BB mini, these things inspire envy. All the 2E Skaven are good, but the throwers are just the best, bar none.

3E Chaos Warrior 3
Fun to paint and really defines the team. Stiff pose is forgivable.

3E Plastic Human Lineman
Underrated, I think. Really a great piece, despite the dull pose.

5E Vampire Lord (unreleased original version)
Love the vampires. Hate the hats. The thralls are in the running too, as a great dirty-looking human team.

Favorite fantasy football minis
Would definitely have to include the Anubis Blitzers and Deadlings from Impact.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
That treeman was based off of the treebeard lotr model, the first time GW had the licence.

That looks quite a rare variant though. I have 4 or 5 of these, and none of mine have a curly beard or a birds nest on the shoulder pad. That could have been green stuffed on though.
Not green stuff.

The 2nd edition Treeman was released with 3 different heads, 3 different sets of arms, and 2 different sets of legs (depending on when you purchased it from GW). The Earliest arms had no decoration, then they came out with the version with the bird nest, and then the bird nest was removed and shoulder pad put on the opposite side ... this mould was damaged and so in the late 90s they went back and sold re-casts of the figures through their archive sales service with the bird nest arms.

Reference points for 2nd edition Treemen:
http://www.blood-bowl.net/BB2ndEd/2ndEdTreemen.JPG

Galak
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:

Another variant:

...you know you are not allowed to field 20 halflings on the pitch, right ?
Very Happy
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

...Not entirely true... Dunno about the halflings but the Snotling team used to have a roster with 32 spots. And you could try and sneak an extra D3+1 snots onto the field, but had to roll a penalty roll!

catmando

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the Mummy figs from the Undead team. Especially, the one holding the chain with the skull attached to it. He's just standing there and it looks like the Mummy is roaring, right before he beats you to death with that wicked chain.

For me, a very cool fig.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

It's about time I submitted my nominations:

My Favourites

Ogre 3:
    As well as looking good, this is one of the few Ogres that really works on the tabletop - he's not ridiculously over-sized, and he doesn't have limbs sticking out at awkward angles; this means he can go prone in a scrum and not cause problems. I have this miniature.

Frank'n'stein:
    The original Flesh Golem - so good, they made the modern Flesh Golems in his image. His infamous 'clothesline tackle' can cause a few problems when prone, but it barely detracts from a characterful representation of a star of the game. I have one of these, too - and I kick myself for not having bought more when he was about a quid, because I saw one go for over £10 on eBay!

Elf Blitzer 1:
    The best example of a fabulously designed and sculpted team, this is the guy who embodied the 'punk' look of 2nd ed. Elves. The Wood Elf Wardancers and 'Pro' Elf teams of more recent times tried to copy this look, but failed miserably - the Wood Elves look like barn-dancers with clown hands and feet, and the Pro Elves are too static and have terrible acne scars! I don't have this miniature Sad

Honourable Mentions:
    The Chaos All-Stars featured in White Dwarf; they were converted from the excellent 2nd ed. line of Chaos BB minis.
    Galak had a limited number of recasts from the originals, but I think they've all found new homes. Expect to pay top dollar for these guys! No, I don't have these, though I have some of the regular 2nd ed. Chaos players.

The 2nd. ed Skaven - others have commented on this excellent team. I don't have these either Sad

The 5th edition stars and Humans showed real promise for future Blood Bowl releases - alas, the recent purge has eliminated many of them, meaning they passed by us almost unnoticed. I don't have any of them.
    P.S. I don't believe it! The new Humans have disappeared from the GW store too! Edit: They're still on the US site, this may therefore be temporary.

Ogre 2, as the Star Player Morg'th N'Throg "The Howitzer", was the poster child of the game way back in the 2nd ed. days. Along with Troll 1(see the Troll in the Chaos All-Stars), they were the original Big Guys, and amongst the best. I have one of these.

Still the best GW-made Blood Bowl Werewolf miniature, Wilhelm Chaney has made a welcome comeback as a Star Player in recent LRBs.

Blood Bowl isn't complete without Snotlings - I'm delighted to say I have one of each of these (except, I think, the one 'doing the business' on the field of play...). Combined with a 6-pack of Heresy Miniatures Ogres, currently the best value (and possibly best looking) fantasy football Ogres available, I'd have an LRB5 Ogre team.

The best Non-GW fantasy football figures are definately Impact! Minatures' Pharoahs of Viktoria team. While not representing any existing Blood Bowl roster, they can be used as proxies for a number of different teams. I've considered buying them to use as High Elves, because the official ones are so ugly and static.

Raspberry Awards:
    Most of the worst BB miniatures were released in the 3rd and 4th edition eras - Wood Elves, High Elves and Norse (the latter look more like regulars of the Blue Oyster than burly Vikings - they were also hampered by having to represent Av7 players, when in reality, Vikings wore just as much armour as any historical infantry - Conan has much to answer for...). While it would be easy to pan Gary Morley for sculpting these dogs, he did do a decent job with most of the other teams.

The new Hubris Rakarth miniature represents an uncharacteristic slip up by Aly Morrison.

Thanks go to www.blood-bowl-miniatures.de as the source of images for this post.

Last edited by Colin on %b %27, %2008 - %20:%Mar; edited 2 times in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
...Not entirely true... Dunno about the halflings but the Snotling team used to have a roster with 32 spots. And you could try and sneak an extra D3+1 snots onto the field, but had to roll a penalty roll!

Only snots were 2 for 1. They were actually not too bad as they had ag 3. Agility had more of an impact (defensively) back in 2nd edition. I don't remember the sneak on dice roll at all. I do remember the death wish team however which was half trolls and half snots. Snots could be thrown further than goblins and flings which made them quite viable.

Halflings certainly couldn't be 2 for 1. As the linman had ag 4 and the catcher had an amazing ag 5 and the equivelant of ma 7 and catch. Would be a super player in lrb ruleset.

The heads shown by wreckage were certainly of the treebeard model, the bb versions had a helmet.

The chaos allstars teams was a converted team, I still owned by Phil Lewis I believe, once of GW fame. I'd love to buy that team off of him.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2008 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

This guy rocks

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ha ha stumbled on this thread looking up stuff on the rez gutter runner, and what do I find two of my miniatures on display. The Halfing and the treeman. Go figure.

Just to rez this.. I dont know why people like the 2nd ed skaven so much. I think the throwers are great but other wise they look dumb. Much prefer the gutter runners to the oven mitt catchers.

My Favs:
Frank N Stein
Bomber dribblesnot (dig the hat)
Minotaur (Gnashrak)

Proud Member of the SWL
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

The new Griff Oberwald rocks.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The old minotaur blitzer, old chaos dwarves, wood elf blitzers and, of course, Frank. N. Stein come to my mind here...
Stinkytroll

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2009 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

The new Griff Oberwald rocks.

No doubt! That model is the best looking Blood Bowl mini they have ever made! I love how he looks older and more grizzled now. Old Griff has been at it for a long time. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 20, 2010 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think my 3 favourites are probably this Orc blitzer, Griff and Frank N Stein who is already posted