38 coaches online • Server time: 13:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Secret League zombie...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not retract my suggestion. Secret weapons can get SPPs anyway.... and deathrollers have to dodge... and, well, read the rules for deathrollers generally Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I just wana know what all the drafted teams ended up as

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

johandenerad wrote:
If I'm stuck with 2 ST4+ players, should I attempt to grab up the best ST access guys left or focus on balance?

Yes this is where the Beastman, Human Blitzer, Orc Blitzer, Amazon Blitzer, Norse Berserker, Storm Vermin, Wights, Blitz-Ra, and ALL the Dwarves you can grab come into prominence for your roster. There are 12 players with STRENGTH access starting with Strength 3. You should be looking to have a combined 4 players (or more if possible) that have ST4 or more AND Strength Access.

You should probably value AV more than anything with these picks. But the Speed of a Storm Vermin or Blodge on the Zon can also be great assets. The Frenzy on the Berserker or Troll Slayer would be good to have too especially if you don't get any Frenzy from the High Strength players. And Horns for the Beastman makes him effectively a ST4 player if used right.

Talk of this league makes me wonder what someone going for the ultimate Baller team in the same league would do. Interesting thoughts but no time to write them.
shaftdiggity

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

#1 - Beast of nurgle : regen, and GIVES YOU strength 4 people when he kills people
#2 - Troll : regen
#3 - Krox : tail
#4 - Minotaur : frenzy
#5 - Vampire : regen, 4 str and 4 agi
#6 - Treeman : 6 str
#7 - Mummy : regen, 5 str
#8 - Rat ogre : mutation access

This all asumes that when they die, you cannot replace....

Picks that could be overlooked:

Amazon Blitzer : blodger
Beastman : strength 4 when blitzing, and mutation access (lrb: best interceptor in the game)
Storm Vermin : blocker with mutation access
Wight : blocker with regen
Any dwarf : crapton of skills
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

johandenerad wrote:
Oops, yet another thing I didn't realise: should have pointed out Deathroller is a secret weapon and secret weapons come with the negatives (otherwise the DR would be uberborked)

Thanks again for all help Smile

Which negatives? Do they retain things like no hands or is it just the secret weapon negatrait that remains? The deathroller and other secret weapons could still be a nice purchase.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Carnis

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

In a league like this, where you stated you want to go bashy, but are thinking of taking some AG players. I would definedly pick just one AG4 player with high MA access (like a gutter, wood elf catcher, elf / high elf catcher / wardancer etc). This way you can cage up your AG4 player with guards around making him almost impervious to leaping strip ballers when he gets block/dodge/surehands.

Like the "OLD" chaos team that could field ally players, a gutter runner with MA9 meant you only needed to advance your cage about 3-4 squares to be in scoring range. So I would definedly spam those high ST players, then the one high MA ag player, then go ST-access happy. Preference on high AV players, as I assume you won't be able to replace them until next draft. If no high AV then go high MA as those are the easiest players to SPP with endzone hand-offs.

The point about tomb guards is a good point I had forgotten them on the list + if they lose decay they may become fearsome enough with AV9 /Reg. Regarding the nurgle beast - they don't have nurgle in the draft (which I find strange, their players arent really that spectacular) + rotters are 5-3-3-8 decay/nurgle rot at 40k in LRB5.
johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl wrote:
what happens if a player dies? Can you buy it again?

There's a minidraft at the beginning of each season, with 24 randomly generated players from different tables. You can draft a randomly generated lineman (human, orc or skaven) at any time.
johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Which negatives? Do they retain things like no hands or is it just the secret weapon negatrait that remains? The deathroller and other secret weapons could still be a nice purchase.

They retain no hands and the secret weapon tag. Also, they are bought off a table, and there's only a 1/12 chance of picking them up. Which is weird. It's not like you go to the evil weapon shop and say "I'd like a deathroller" and they say "well you can have a blunderbus". Still, if I can pick one up I certainly will.
johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2009 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Shades_SteelFist wrote:
I just wana know what all the drafted teams ended up as

The league and teams will likely have their own corner of webspace, will post links when they're up. The draft is this sunday, so it'll be after that.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Links to teams please... interested in seeing how it turned out.
johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't give you links yet, but here's what I drafted. Turns out the draft was a little biased toward the people with the higher picks (i.e. not me) but wasn't so bad. Links to teams will be up later. The list in the pick order, i.e. the Saurus was my third pick.

Troll
Chaos Warrior
Saurus
Troll Slayer
Norse Blitzer
Dwarf Blitzer
Dwarf Runner
Amazon Linewoman

The rest of my starting team is filled out with 2 Orc and 1 Skaven Linemen. Went for the bashiest team I could under the circumstances. Also, I managed to acquire a Deathroller on the Secret Weapons Chart, which I'll be saving up for. The above team has 5RR, 9FF and an apoth at startup (we begin with 1250k).
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Not too bad but urgh, why a troll? Smile

johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The Krox, Mino, Yeti and Ogre had all gone by my pick, so it was Troll, Treeman or the Rat Ogre. I didn't want an MA 2 or AV 8 big guy, so I went with the Troll as the best of a bad bunch. The Rat Ogre was tempting with the lack of neg skill, but I didn't trust him not to get smushed.

In retrospect, this may have been a bad choice, as all the teams in my conference are nancy ball-handlers. Didn't know that in round one though Razz
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Silly... no negative traits in his league... so the Troll isn't so bad.
I was actually about to agree with you when I remembered this factor myself.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Its slow and unagile though, thats a suprisingly big deal for big guys when they lose loner. I'd have probably gone for the big rat beasty cos its fast and has a nice tail.

Jump to: