26 coaches online • Server time: 09:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post It's almost tim...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What's the worst skill?
Divine Catch
55%
 55%  [ 84 ]
Extra Arms
19%
 19%  [ 30 ]
Spikes
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
Pass Block
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Multiple Foul
11%
 11%  [ 18 ]
Other (please elaborate)
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 151

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

But the one that really irks me that people actually take (I mean, Extra Arms or Thick Skull is worse, but people don't generally take them) is JU. It's so illogical. 'I'm going to take a skill that it requires someone to knock me over to use, and what's more, it's worth a double'. Rubbish, crap, awful.

i think its a very considerable choice as a trait on vamps after stand firm... (5th skill vamps ?)
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

oh and.... always hungry.... in more then 2000 games never saw it work...
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

Agreed (although I have seen it worked). The second roll to break free should be an unmodified agility roll for the stunty player, not a 2+. Then we might see some more on-pitch troll snacking. Oh well.

Oscar Wilde
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

i think jump up will get chosen quite a lot once its not a double, its quite good actually, there are just always better doubles choices.

buzzing on a tree is the best thing ever.

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
Diving catch is even worse in the client than in tabletop, because the user needs to be the intended receiver for it to trigger, so there's no way to make a "net" of diving catchers to throw in the vicinity of. Also, the one valid tabletop tactic I've heard for it is to throw to a square adjacent to a receiver to avoid interceptors (even that is pretty useless), and that doesn't work in javabowl.

Read the rules again. The client handles it exactly the same as the LRB. Any league that plays it differently on the board game would be utterly mistaken.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
Diving Catch is the worst because of how it is coded. It only works when the person with the skill is the target. If it worked like it was supposed to, it wouldn't be half bad.

__Synn

Again, read the rulebook. It works precisely as written in the rule, and as it's done on tabletop (unless your league didn't read the rule correctly).

Edit : sorry, just saw that this has already been addressed on page 2.
valkalis

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

That's funny. I've had it happen twice in less than 150. Very Happy
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess jump up was a victim of the strange design decision to make skill require doubles if they could be "realistically" described as "traits", rather than making a skill require a double only if it is good.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

JockMcRowdy wrote:
i think jump up will get chosen quite a lot once its not a double, its quite good actually, there are just always better doubles choices.

Yeah I think so too. Jump up is a good skill for high AV bashers as the main advantage is that you can block while being prone. At this time they can't take it though as they don't have access to agility skills. The only players that can take it now are elves and catchers and those aren't the high AV bashers and they have much better choices on doubles.
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

Are you kidding me? It's quite possibly the best skill ever. My 1st ever match on fumbbl my trolls ate 2 gobbos in our 2 attempts, and tried to snack on 2 more over our next 2 matches. Please ignore and or laugh at all the rest of my horrible play.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2603521

for those of you who would like to watch a replay of a beautiful 2 gobbo eater match.
Freppa

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, multiblock CAN be rather useless, without guard, or on a 10 man roster etc.. but its not like you need "great strength", ST3 is often plenty.

I think Diving catch is the least desirable skill for me.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

ryanfitz wrote:
Wreckage wrote:

Are you kidding me? It's quite possibly the best skill ever. My 1st ever match on fumbbl my trolls ate 2 gobbos in our 2 attempts, and tried to snack on 2 more over our next 2 matches. Please ignore and or laugh at all the rest of my horrible play.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2603521

for those of you who would like to watch a replay of a beautiful 2 gobbo eater match.

hehe that is so,ething for the "Did you know section" imo. Awesome first match....
HenryX

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Freppa wrote:
Well, multiblock CAN be rather useless, without guard, or on a 10 man roster etc.. but its not like you need "great strength", ST3 is often plenty.

I think Diving catch is the least desirable skill for me.

well the fact that they add their strength together means that in average you need 6+ strength for it to work which means that you need 3 supporters with guard for a 1d block, so thats 4 players with 4 skills for a two man block... I still think you need at least 5 strength for it to be useful, and even then I would argue that there are better options available... but again it all depends on your team and strategy. COULD it work? sure it could. is it something I would do? no

oh and about Spikes. it may not be a sexy pick, but it DOES significantly increase the survivability of that specific player, meaning that your chance of building a high value team increases exponentially. not only will he survive longer thereby amass more star points and save you money, he will also stay on the field longer
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Multiblock escapes being a truly poor skill because of the excellent combination with horns/claw/RSC.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
adambomb

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Multiblock escapes being a truly poor skill because of the excellent combination with horns/claw/RSC.

Exactly why my Beast of Nurgle w/ RSC took multiblock...free Rotters!
 Jump to: