28 coaches online • Server time: 10:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I've semi-automated my player pic process. I have a blank template at the correct size. When I want a new pic, I bring whatever images into that template, modify to taste, then save it (jpg). I get 9.5k player pics, and I've rarely noticed any issue with image quality. Note however, that I do not use transparency (obviously, for those who are familiar with jpg). I just don't see a need on a tiny image like that. It's a different story for team logos, which I think generally look better non-rectangular, but the file limit still isn't a problem for me (occasionally I'll forget to pay any attention to image size and try uploading a 4Mb file, but that's easily fixed once I realize).

I know some people work a lot harder than others on their player pics, but I still fail to see a problem with the "poor quality" images. If it's pointed out to me I can sort of tell the difference, but it's not something I'd notice or be bothered by if I didn't know.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

One solution for Balle and others is this. Do not use the parchment background template, just add the image of the player with the transparency. You may be able to make it small enough to work. And the parchment background will automatically show anyway. I'll do some experimenting when I get a chance.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
One solution for Balle and others is this. Do not use the parchment background template, just add the image of the player with the transparency. You may be able to make it small enough to work. And the parchment background will automatically show anyway. I'll do some experimenting when I get a chance.

Thanks! Ive actually been looking into this today, and it solves the problem for maybe two thirds of the pics.
Archpeasant

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I've drawn one and a half sets of portraits for my teams. Though the size allowance increase that happened with the gallery rework was very much welcome, when I went over my gallery now, the best portraits in there are probably the sub-10k gifs. (Granted, not BECAUSE they're sub-10k gifs but in spite of it.)

I suppose I've kept it pretty simple with the style in my later pngs but as it is, I'm happy with the size allowances.

Now, the team logo allowance, that was a big one - and that's been improved as well. You guys can go on arguing of course, I just wanted to say thanks for the increase that happened, I'm happy as a clam.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2011 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of on field logos, I usually detest anything bigger than 200px, but Tarabaralla has done a great job with this team:
https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=656679

It looks good on the field, in no small part due to the pre-fading to ensure it isn't overbearing.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2011 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, interesting logo indeed!

On topic though:

I have just tweaked a bunch of png portraits to fit 30k limit, and as feared, it seems the standard paper background does not load for the .png format Confused

as it stands now, for portrait transparency we must choose between 2 compromises:

1) no background and limited amount of pixels with actual graphic in it
2) quality loss in form of gif or png-8 rendering/dithering
 Jump to: