32 coaches online • Server time: 14:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Inscription JBL Sais...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd never played stunty before and randomly selected a team without any understanding of its relative strengths. I went 4-0 with my Forest Goblins, and feel I was very lucky in doing so.

The ball stabbing my opponent and Ko'ing or worse on a failed pick up won me at least one of these games, and was significant in others. I also got the feeling that my match ups against Eshin, Skyre Slaves, and Goblin Cheaters were well suited for the Forest Goblins, but my final game against Squiqs less so.

Whilst the stats are useful, the sample size is small enough that exceptional luck may skew the perception of each team. But that's as far as my limited exposure to stunty can really comment.

Thank you to the organising team of tournament admins and developers behind the Exploding Cup and Stunty Leeg. It's been a blast.

Join the Human League Premiership!
Mephistodragonbane

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

This was my first time playing a Tournament of any kind, I took Horrors for their use of bombers+ no send off's. Unfortunately my first game of the tourney, in the very first turn I believe, one of my Wyrm's died and failed to regen. From that point on, I was struggling to keep up. Also I'm still very new to this and stunty as well, so I wouldn't expect someone to dodge through all my guys without failing and actually get a blitz on my ball carrier. That made things very odd as I was never sure how to cover the ball with my team (which I'd also never played before) having played goblin cheaters before I was used to losing most of my men after one drive generally from Cas' and send off's. Since the tourney I've played a few more games of Stunty with my Chaos Halfings which with my usual luck and poor skill have drawn twice and lost once.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Fun times. I agree with the comment about skinks being less fun... I played them because I like going fast, and i have fond memories of playing skinks long ago when stunty was much younger than it is now. Although I won my qualifier, I didn't have any cool weapons, big stompy guys, or enough players to spam fouls.

Don't get me wrong, skinks are great at winning... but next time I'd take something else. They're just not as fun!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends what you want with a team. Personally I like something quite basic, hence why I play pygmies (that, the fluff and the fantastic icons).

Certainly 1 tournament isn't enough to make judgement calls on what needs fixing (particularly as they aren't supposed to be even).

No matter the environment, some teams are going to be more popular than others. You just have to accept that tourney players are gamey ******* and will always take the strongest teams.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
You just have to accept that tourney players are gamey ******* and will always take the strongest teams.

I must confess, I'm a naive, idealistic soul. When you enter a R or a B tournament (or play B at all), I think you sign an unwritten contract that you can't moan if you're faced with some God awful nonsense that's not really acceptable. Surely Stunty is (if not exempt) better than that?

If we some day prove that Forest Goblins are the best by 10%, I sincerely hope that this is the division where coaches will look to enjoy the challenge of beating them.

./n00b idealism.
Estika

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well i played skinks in qualifier 2 and i played 4 different races (Forest Goblin, Squig Herders, Goblin Cheaters, Skink)

i had only played 1 stunty game before and i don't have much time to play so i've been playing only league and tournaments but i'm pretty sure that i will play more now in stunty.

I don't know if it is the splat sound frequency but i find it very relaxing Smile
Synn

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Estika wrote:

I don't know if it is the splat sound frequency but i find it very relaxing Smile

I like you Very Happy

__Synn
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

These numbers more-or-less confirm my impressions of Stunty tiers.
1: Forest Goblins
2: Chaos Halflings, Skinks, Squig Herders, young Goblin Cheaters, developed Gnomes and Strigoyan
3: Albion Fae, Eshin, Gnoblar, Skryre, developed Goblin Cheaters and Pygmies
4: Horrors, Nurglings, Snotlings, young Gnomes, Strigs and Pygmies

I think Tier 4 is okay. Snotlings look fine on paper, just have no carrier and a hard time protecting a cage or controlling tempo. Nurglings and Gnomes are a lot better now, and Horrors may just need the smallest of tweaks to be good enough, nothing too dramatic. Forest Goblins need a nerf, IMO. With 8 killer positionals, who cares if your linos are just okay? (... And they are okay.) Pygmies might be slightly low on oomph, but I don't think that's a terrible thing, as they do show development promise. Strigs at their worst are really more like Tier 3.5.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Forest Gobbos fall away a bit at higher TV, though all the stab, especially with multiple block on a few, stays scary. And no love for Nurglings? Razz Without going into .5 tiers, I'd put them T3 out of the box on that list, T2 when developed and T1 when high TV.

Starting to see a few developed Gnome teams around as well, they can be pretty viable with some skilled players and a smattering of doubles.

Looking forward to the breakdown of the stats after a while (I assume for all of stunty, over all TVs). I don't think there's really a huge amount of tweaking to be done though. Smile

*edit* Ah you were editing as I typed! Wink
baelnic

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It's interesting to see your guys thoughts on Gnomes. I think they are bottom quarter of the teams at all TV's but then again I'm not very good. They're lack of speed and lack of Diving Tackle makes them really easy to maneuver around. I spend more time chasing blocks than making blocks. But I'm probably trying to make the team something it isn't.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I absolutely loathe Cheaters. Since the revamp (and I'm a moderately successful coach) my record vs. Cheaters is 1-1-12. Any race, any TV, any coach, they pretty much wade thru my team. It's to the point I won't play against them anymore as pitch clears, while amusing occassionally, just don't make for fun matches.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

About gnomes: go watch Jesperius' team, with his two squig slayers who have picked up 17 cas in 8 games (EACH). He has what a developed gnome team should look like, and it certainly is strong.

About forest gobbos: I am so confused by this. My chaos halflings never felt particularly threatened by them. But they clearly are awesome at low TV. I feel their best strength is 8 awesome positionals when none of them get sent off, so unlike many other teams, you can actually play your second half the same way as your first. They also aren't particularly focused around their negatrait player like so many other teams are, and so don't fail when the negatrait kicks in.

About strig: these guys, undeveloped, are nothing. They are easily the worst team out there before they get at least 1 player with 2 skills, or at least 4 players with block.

About snotling: holy crapoly! I love these guys, and while I got some dice during the tournament did I really get THAT much dice??

About horrors: tier 3 at worst, and once they are developed, they should be knocking on tier 2 door. Certainly not tier 4.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

K, take 2.

Too Good: Forest Goblins.
Tier 1 (great out the gate): Chaos Halflings, Goblin Cheaters, Skinks, Squig Herders.
Tier 2 (competitive, not cheeseball): Albion Fae, Eshin, Gnoblar, Skryre.
Tier 3 (bad as rookies, but get better): Gnomes, Horrors, Nurglings, Strigoyan.
Not Good Enough: Snotlings.

End result: we're almost there. The three numbered tiers aren't far off each other: only two teams don't balance. Snotlings now are better than Nurglings were before the fix.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

ok I like that list. except you don't have pygmy on it (my guess is somewhere between 2 and 3).

Also, I still have to say what happened to me during the tournament with my snotlings??
baelnic

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2013 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
ok I like that list. except you don't have pygmy on it (my guess is somewhere between 2 and 3).

Also, I still have to say what happened to me during the tournament with my snotlings??

My guess would be you rolled well injury-wise and are a good coach Smile You averaged over 1 less casualties per game (3.25 vs. 4.5+) than the overall Snotling number without your team.
 Jump to: