14 coaches online • Server time: 02:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, is it Monday again already? I think I've seen this thread before! Very Happy

There might be technical solutions to the cat on fire but automatic time-out would make coaches be less chatty and sociable and that's not a good thing.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Oh, is it Monday again already? I think I've seen this thread before! Very Happy

There might be technical solutions to the cat on fire but automatic time-out would make coaches be less chatty and sociable and that's not a good thing.

Just chat during your opponent's turn so you don't waste time during your turn.
Kam

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I'm not going to get drawn into the rights and wrongs of timeouts. We've been here before.

However - it's not good sportsmanship to not timeout if the phone goes. I was under the impression the rules of the site were that you simply cannot. It's there, rightly or wrongly, for over 4 minutes of thinking / moving time. If I say 'brb, phone / cat on fire / baby crying' after 90 seconds, you're bound by the rules to wait. Hence the lack of enforced timeouts. Also caters for those that hate it on principle.

I think, anyway? Perhaps a staff member can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway. Timeout thread. See you in 40 pages. Wink

The worst kind of opponent IMHO is the guy who starts a game knowing he has something else to do at the same time (like guys playing at work). You end up waiting 2 or 3 minutes every turn before he starts moving his players or cancels the apo on a KO. I've asked admins a couple of times, and I've never had a clear answer on this one. I time those guys out as soon as I can (which I wouldn't do if my opponent has a real "emergency" like a phone call or a dry martini to make), especially if 1) the guy refuses to talk to me and tell me why he's absent half of the time and doesn't even look sorry, and 2) he does not want to reschedule the game when he will have more time to play.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Just chat during your opponent's turn so you don't waste time during your turn.

OR chatty coaches can chat all they like, and not use the time-out button, and coaches who want a quick game can time out at 4:00. Win-win.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

cat on fire all mens!

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

BB2 got one thing right. And it's the 2 minute turn with automatic time out.

In my humble opinion of course. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Different strokes...

I like the loose implementation myself, but I can see the argument for making it automatic for R and B, since, R and B matches simply do not remotely matter.

However, I think it's a solution begging for a problem frankly. I tend to ask for a bit of time here and there in L games, because I have family stuff I occasionally need to address, even during 'my gaming time'.

*shrug*

It's really just not a big deal.

Tournament? Sure, say up front, 'I will time you out immediately.' Then do it.

Random R or B game?

Literally, it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT YOU DO.

So be a nice guy, or be a dickhead. Or be both.

Who cares?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Old client had it right I think. 4 minute turns and a 10 minute pool. That's ample.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Who cares?

I don't care too much but I prefer it when my oponents are nice guys who finish in under 4 mins. I time out dickheads who go over 4 mins.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If the person communicates they need to run for a minute I don't mind waiting at all. Good on you for waiting for him to finish, it's a nice thing to do.

I can see competitive play might work better with an automatic time out to stop any hard feelings; that said, it's nice that it's managed by the players and I think what you did is awesome.

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Beanchilla wrote:
If the person communicates they need to run for a minute I don't mind waiting at all. Good on you for waiting for him to finish, it's a nice thing to do.

This is actually how I do it myself as well. If my opponent lets me know what's going on, I'll gladly wait. Even a simple "brb" will do. What bugs me is people that agonize every single move and go over the limit again and again.

And the fact that 4 minutes is way to long. It's a client that rolls all you dice, checks all results, calculates ST differences, modifiers and keeps track of all skill interactions for you. 4 minute turns is a joke for an online version of the game.

Last edited by Mr_Foulscumm on %b %19, %2015 - %19:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Never used timeout before, like chatty games that take longer than quick games. Been timed out by douches who I let overrun before, they are the real mothers.

DLE College 7s
licker

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2015 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
licker wrote:

Who cares?

I don't care too much but I prefer it when my oponents are nice guys who finish in under 4 mins. I time out dickheads who go over 4 mins.

Yes, but you don't break the rules and time out guys who say 'Someone at the door, I'll be a minute.'

I think the larger point is about automatic timers, not about how the one we have should be used.
 Jump to: