35 coaches online • Server time: 00:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
grandw

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I often get away during my opponent´s turn, getting coffee, change music, toilet and things....
I say "sorry" if i delay his turn with that and my own turns seldom take more than 4 minutes (even when i was getting coffee the first 1 1/2 minutes).

It´s important to remind coaches that this is not chess, it should "simulate" a sport, where desicions are made quickly. You can´t think what to do with the ball for five minutes in soccer or football Laughing .

So i would be playing better if i thougt longer, but it´s against the spirit of the game (i think).
peke

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I absolutely hate slow players. Only thing worse than a slow player, is slow player who has poor skills and superb luck. Usually when I face a slow player, and I notice his slowness, I start to make slight hints "I once heard about a player who didn't use 15 mins each turn", if the hints don't work, I just start systematically removing his players and say "That should cut down your thinking time a bit" after each ko/cas.

Well, if/when THIS fails, I just start whining about his slowness. Play badly, foul even more than normally, whine, whine, whine, make up a rude match report, whine whine whine, and go take a walk or something while it's my turn (but keep sure I do SOMETHING every 15 mins...) Not very nice, yes, but I don't have 3 hours to waste each game.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a coach I was playing the other day when we were both taking less than 2 minutes per turn tell me to speed it up and get it over with..... That may have been related to his Dark Elves being torn to pieces by my NO TREE FLINGS!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love me!!!!!!!

P.S. He wasn't whining just kinda flabbergasted.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It is quite natural that when you're loosing in a way that isn't causing much joy, you want your opponent to speed up so that the match ends quickly.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

No, it's not. It's horribly un-natural. Have you ever seen a baby or wild animal do it? Have you? huh? Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I make sure I have 2 1/2 hours available to play due to the slower players. Nothing worse than having a panic attack because your winning a game but may have to concede because you're out of playing time due to a slow opponent.

I've only had one game go over that 2 1/2 hour limit, so not so bad. I think it was because my opponent fell asleep at the keyboard. LOL.

Also, for those who can't stand the slower players, make sure your team isn't the cause. Skills like Guard, diving tackle, and pass block make their next move less obvious, and therefore they have to constantly look at your players and make more intricate plans to deal with them.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

arktoris wrote:
I've only had one game go over that 2 1/2 hour limit, so not so bad. I think it was because my opponent fell asleep at the keyboard. LOL.

Ah, the sweet night he must have spent sleeping on his keyboard. Makes wonders for your neck too!

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Rakalph_Templeflayer wrote:
I hate slow players, I dont mind losing, but when it takes like 20 minutes a turn I get totally fed up. What can be done to stop these Turtle players, and encourage them to play faster?

What do people think about removing re-rolls for excessively slow players?

Bah!!!

20 mins a turn?

I gues you are exagerating. You game took then 20*16+3*16=320min+48=368 minutes= a little more than 6 hours

Report it to Recordia Spluttanica.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

i like pie

--j

ImageImage
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate slow players. I usually play fast (around 8 minutes a turn) so 20 is unacceptable.

Some told me I was slow. But my brain heats up too much too quick. I use a ventillator (you now those in caps) but lost it.

So I think on a move and then need to cool down. At this moment I eat pie.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

You should move to iceland perhaps? Rolling Eyes
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I still think a 'turnover'-button would be cool. It should activate after 4 minutes, and if the slow player has given no good reason to why his turns are over 4 minutes, it should be clicked, and a turnover should occur instantly, even in the middle of a move.

I'm not for an automatic turnover, since lag and some IRL-issues can occur.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok.... here is the Synn Solution (TM) for the following problems:

Time consuption
Fouling
Stalling (which is valid honestly)
Luck Blaming
Being an overall pr1ck during and after game

Start keeping a white list in your bio. Lots of coaches have them and I think all should start keeping them. There are certain chaps I see more and more online that I will play as often as i can. Nighteye is a recent fun opponent (although i owe you for the severe p//nag3 you delivered to me humies).

Play people you know or people you spec and you will not worry about the time per turn thing. I regularly compare good opponents with other coaches and so when i truly want a game i tend to never lack options.
Laughing

Peace,
__Synn
**Should you get stuck with a slow opponent.... just clear the pitch. Turns don't take long when no one is left!
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
I still think a 'turnover'-button would be cool. It should activate after 4 minutes, and if the slow player has given no good reason to why his turns are over 4 minutes, it should be clicked, and a turnover should occur instantly, even in the middle of a move.

I'm not for an automatic turnover, since lag and some IRL-issues can occur.

Personally my lack of faith in humanity can take up several storage buildings - I do believe in the good of most people; some just haven't dug this out yet.

As such I have the belief that a couple of things would happen if such a system was implemented:

1.: People would lie about what they've been doing (ie. "My computer had huge lag!" "I had to feed the baby!") when all they was doing was think and just needed an excuse.

2.: Even when people have a valid reason to leave the keyboard (ie: "I have to feed the baby." "Lag occured.") there are plenty of spiteful people who would either refuse to believe this or simply click the turnover counter regardless.

3.: Some minor variation of the above.

It's just not doable unless someone makes a turnover clock which can observe lag, disconnections and has a camera installed that monitors the opponents every move to see wether he was doing something important or just thinking.

Do as Synn suggested. Sort away the people you know to be slow (unless you like playing them) and go for those you know or someone you haven't tried before.

And refer newbies to the Academy - always up for a slow game of tutoring. Going for newbies can be a sure way to get stuck in a slow game (and don't start whining because your easy win is using your time).
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

the_grand_wazoo wrote:
You should move to iceland perhaps? Rolling Eyes

It is rather warm in Iceland, contrary to the popular belief. The Gulf stream anyone?

Jump to: