59 coaches online • Server time: 20:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zerkalo

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Clear sign of a cherrypicker:
he challenges you, and puts his team link (because he doesn't have any teams on Gamefinder!).

If they want to play games, why don't they put their teams on Gamefinder? Well because they don't want to get challenged (=cherrypicked) - they are the cherrypickers. They want to pick the easiest of the easy.

95% of challenges I get are from team that has over 10 better TS, or if even TS, then they would get 2 handicaps...

215/210 challenging my 241/175 team. I tell him to challenge some other coaches 225/235 team. Cherrypicker says too high TS. "Why did you then challenge me? Mine and your TS difference is 35, and you would get 2 handicaps, that team only has 25 higher TS, and he wouldn't get handicaps." Silence.

But here's the probable answer:
because I want to play easy games, so I get easy spp, and maintain my high win percentage (now 21-3-2) --> FF rises --> I get more money --> I can hire star players on tourneys --> I win more tourney games --> my CR goes up faster. And of course it is much more fun to play a game where I have 80% chance of winning, than a game where I have 40% chance of winning. And by the way, if your 11 man team (8 nigglers) catches a Virus, I don't have much risk of losing any players, and I can make one pass each with those players that I have that have 5 or 15 spp. Etc etc etc etc...
zerkalo

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:

I see cherry picking (if it exists), as coaches who go out of their way to make unfair offers, then seem to get upset when that offer is politely refused.

I see cherrypicking as any challenge where a coach thinks he has over 60% chance of winning the game.

So coach of 180 CR and 150-150 team challenging coach of 140 CR and 150-150 team. Surely the odds are much to 180 coaches favor. And surely he thinks he has very good chances of winning.

Even 100-80 team challenging 110-110 team can be a cherrypick. If the 110-110 team has 3 players and 8 rerolls (and the other team has 13 players and 4 rerolls), for example... Surely the other coach thinks he has very big chances of winning.

So it's not about TR/TS purely. Just about if you think it's gonna be an easy game --> cherrypick.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

In which case 95% of games must be cherry picked, because very few coaches look for games they expect to lose.

Most go out and find games that look interesting, with few or no handicaps and where the odds look 51% TO 49%.

I would love to see a division where teams are auto-matched, even if it is Amazon vs Dwarf and Goblin vs Norse, but I can;t see it happening.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Not forgetting of course, the games take 2 players ... so if there are silly match up's, both coaches have agreed to the game!
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a "How not to get cherrypicked" tutorial thread already?
Would anyone like to write one?
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Clear sign of a cherrypicker:
he challenges you, and puts his team link (because he doesn't have any teams on Gamefinder!).

LOL, I almost always paste a link with my team, and the teams i wanna play are always on gamefinder!

Elseway i just think this is another fun post:)

Hehe, maybe people should realize that some are better than others? We cant all be equal good:/
For me im just lucky, when luck runs out, so does my winning streak:)
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 20:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

plorg: I'm working on it, but i havnt stopped collecting the incredibly vaired multitude of definitions for cherrypicking yet.

As an occasionally high CR coach (i'm not very good, but do sometimes get lucky in smacks and that RAMPS the CR like you wouldnt believe) let me put the opposite view. I can place all my teams on gamefinder, even the human one and the DE when i had them, and not get offers for hours on end. Literally hours. Any that do come in will be from coaches thinking i shoudl be happy to play up 20-30 str and give a few handicaps away. If i offer any games to people (usually i use a 'up to 10 TS upwards or 5 down' formula then i quite often get very rude replies. in the end i usually take an unwinnable game againsta fun coach just to trim the CR back down to gamegetting levels.

But i do also tend to distrust coaches that dont put teams on gamefinder, have to agree there.

It's been said, but try Candlejack, FischerKing or Emphasy (there are others but those three come to mind for me) all excellent coaches that play anyone. Prepare for a beating though.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

i remember challenging those dead poets of yours, but you declined for unknown reasons, it was a fair game TR/TS wise. But perhaps it only applies when you are the challenger
OverDose

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Hehe, maybe people should realize that some are better than others? We cant all be equal good:/
For me im just lucky, when luck runs out, so does my winning streak:)
Yeah, PM me when it's over so we can take a rematch will ya?

I am a cherrypicker and an elfpicker, BUT I rarely ask for a match from any teams other than the ones with a "challenge factor" involved.

I might accept an offer from a CR 145 coach though : )

Besides why should I ask for a match since my TR 200 Wood elves get 10 offers as soon as they are in the gamefinder...

Synn and Ragingoblin should hold their horses.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually look for higher TR coaches to beat. I rarely ask for games, I just put my teams on the gamefinder. I agree with zerkalo's opinion about cherry pickers avoid putting thier team up there.

@Purplechest. Ive aked you for games, with my TR being lower by 5 or so and you still refuse those games. Perhaps you dont care to play me, and you are not cherry picking games. Im not sure yet, the judge is still out on that one. Ill give you the benifit of the doubt and continue thinking that you dont enjoy my company.

Jeffro
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone has the right to refuse games ... take away the right and people just wont put their teams up!
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Everyone has the right to refuse games ... take away the right and people just wont put their teams up!

Okay Captian Liberty. Why dont they just get rid of CR then? Everyone does have a right to refuse games. But when people are competeing for the highest CR then theres a problem with cherry pickers. Its an unfair way too rate coaches then. I say get rid of it.

Jeffro
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

As I have said above, I would be quote happy with a division where teams are automatched.

I would also be very happy if I were allowed to 'opt-out' of CR rating and be fixed at 150.

It used to be possible, but for some reason it got taken away.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

zerkalo wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:

I see cherry picking (if it exists), as coaches who go out of their way to make unfair offers, then seem to get upset when that offer is politely refused.

I see cherrypicking as any challenge where a coach thinks he has over 60% chance of winning the game.

So coach of 180 CR and 150-150 team challenging coach of 140 CR and 150-150 team. Surely the odds are much to 180 coaches favor. And surely he thinks he has very good chances of winning.

Even 100-80 team challenging 110-110 team can be a cherrypick. If the 110-110 team has 3 players and 8 rerolls (and the other team has 13 players and 4 rerolls), for example... Surely the other coach thinks he has very big chances of winning.

So it's not about TR/TS purely. Just about if you think it's gonna be an easy game --> cherrypick.

ok so far, one of the stupiest idea in this thread (and since Keggie, you agree, you get that award too).

So if a non cherrypicked game is one at 50/50 ratio (if you go for a 40% chance to win game, you're opponent has a cherrypicking case).

So if nobody was cherrypicking we all would be winning 50% of our games.

If I play better than my opponent then I am a cherrypicker.

ok, if I don't want to cherrypick, I may even roll a die.

If I make a wise team developpoment I am a cherrypicker.

Non-Sense.

Really.

cherrypicking is a matter of intention, not winning chances thing.

A guy who play various matchups, fair versus various CR rated guys ISN'T a cherrypicker. And if he ends with a high CR he is a good coach.

If you believe he is a cherrypicker, you really missed something.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2006 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Okay Captian Liberty. Why dont they just get rid of CR then? Everyone does have a right to refuse games. But when people are competeing for the highest CR then theres a problem with cherry pickers. Its an unfair way too rate coaches then. I say get rid of it.

Who told you that we where competing for the highest TR. I for one, and I'll wager plenty others, don't give a damn about CR. I would be happy to see it gone or at least having the option to turn it of for myself.

And no, I can't just go to play in unranked. There are fewer games there, that makes it take even longer to find a game. Especially when you are picky in the first place (which I definately am).
 Jump to: