41 coaches online • Server time: 16:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OneEye

Post   Posted: May 21, 2008 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all great nick PorkusMaximus!!

I have played greenskins since the second my brother and i opened the first edition BB box the 3rd day after it was available!! I love them and are just so much fun to play with! One of the major strengths with them is their survivability. High AV across the board makes the orcs frustratingly difficult to get off the field and BO's for their price are very intimidating! You'll find that as you progress through games you will (in most cases) not be needing to buy new players after every game which makes the finances a bit easier to manage as well!

My Fumbbl orcs haven't been anywhere near as successful as my real life boys but i have been playing a bit more of a passing game on here which against a faster moving opponent can be nasty!!

I suggest getting a thrower and leveling him quick! A couple of quick passes when safe for the easy points helps and give him accurate to increase his effectiveness. This adds a bit more to your choices and so that when you have that good opening turn or two when a couple of the opposition are in the dugout from your blitzers and BO's, you can make a handy break for the score.

Best advice i can give tho is decide how you wanna play your orcs early on... bashy or more manouverable... i don't think orcs are well suited to the half-half option (except against elves coz they snap easily).

P.S. if you wanna try some different skills to the normal guard, tackle, etc... try pass block on blitzers or break tackle on BO's. Nothing funnier than blitzing out of tackle zones with a BO with AGL 4 when your opponent thought they were safe! Pass block is rarely used on here i notice but by making sure the player is in the vicinity of the ball can result in some fantastic plays!

Enjoy!
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: May 21, 2008 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno, maybe I'm just unlucky but after 7 games, only 2 of my BOB have managed to get 2SPPs each from causing casualties. Armour 9 doesn't seem to be doing me that much good either since in the last 2-3 games I've had 2 linesmen and a thrower KIA and now my one of my blitzers has a niggling injury.

Obviously I have a long way to improve but if the dice could cut me some slack it would help.

EDIT: Lol fantastic example of my armour/unjury rolls... I just had a blitzer KOed by a goblin Sad
Gracehoper

Post   Posted: May 21, 2008 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The dice will cut you slack when you use them the right way. When you keep making 2d blocks in your opponents favour you're doing his job and your orcs won't last too long.
Don't worry about loosing, play some games with different races, explore, beat and get beaten, have fun. You'll get the hang of it soon enough and soon you don't even have to think about what the odds are for this or that roll, it'll come to you naturally. But right now you might wanna give it a bit of thought. Read what the nice people said about safe moves first, then 2d rolls in your favour and so on. 2d rolls in your oppos favour should ONLY happen when the game is on the line and can be won or lost by it. I can't even remember when I last made a 2d block in my oppos favour, but I know it's less than 10 times in 200 games. Because, ermn... it's bad... m'okay.

EDIT:
PorkusMaximus wrote:

Lol fantastic example of my armour/unjury rolls... I just had a blitzer KOed by a goblin Sad

Also remember that freakish things happen and it's part of what makes the game fun. Just don't build your game plan around it.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2008 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not making 2db in their favour (actually I just did as I was typing this because I wasn't paying attention. DOH) In-fact a lot of my injuries have come from 1db against me. Even with 2bd (and the odd cheeky foul) my blitzers and BOBs haven't managed to inflict anything more serious than a KO on a goblin.
OneEye

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah the injury from a one dice block from a goblin... brings back so many painful memories!! This happens but yeah it does sound like you are having some bad rolls for the amount of deaths/injuries so far... but it happens and is the way of FUMBBL.

Can't agree enough tho on the two dice against you being bad...mkay... very bad and only an option if your trying a last ditch, hail mary, all my eggs in the one basket kinda play... and even then its insanity!!

Heaps of good articles about how to be smart with your turn but very basic premise... move all safe moves first, protect the ball or carrier or set the trap of opponent play, make easier dice rolls first and move through to the riskier ones... and if your gonna have a big guy MAKE SURE you leave it until the last possible moment to make rolls... no rerolls allowed makes him a dangerous risk and nothing more damaging to fail a block as ur first move and find your turn over with your strongest player on the floor.... BAD MKAY!!!!
OneEye

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah the injury from a one dice block from a goblin... brings back so many painful memories!! This happens but yeah it does sound like you are having some bad rolls for the amount of deaths/injuries so far... but it happens and is the way of FUMBBL.

Can't agree enough tho on the two dice against you being bad...mkay... very bad and only an option if your trying a last ditch, hail mary, all my eggs in the one basket kinda play... and even then its insanity!!

Heaps of good articles about how to be smart with your turn but very basic premise... move all safe moves first, protect the ball or carrier or set the trap of opponent play, make easier dice rolls first and move through to the riskier ones... and if your gonna have a big guy MAKE SURE you leave it until the last possible moment to make rolls... no rerolls allowed makes him a dangerous risk and nothing more damaging to fail a block as ur first move and find your turn over with your strongest player on the floor.... BAD MKAY!!!!
OneEye

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

oops sorry computer froze. Sorry for that!
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing to keep in mind when spectating (which I highly recommend) is that *most* teams you see on the matches page will have played more games than your own - as a result, their players will have more skills (block in particular), which greatly reduces the chance of a turnover. Keep an eye out for matches where an experienced coach (i.e. probably high CR) is using a "young" (TR < 150) team. Even if it's not exactly the same race, you can definitely learn a lot from where they place their players, and which actions/players they use first in the turn, and also, when they choose to use their rerolls.

Pro511

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

PorkusMaximus wrote:
I dunno, maybe I'm just unlucky but after 7 games, only 2 of my BOB have managed to get 2SPPs each from causing casualties. Armour 9 doesn't seem to be doing me that much good either since in the last 2-3 games I've had 2 linesmen and a thrower KIA and now my one of my blitzers has a niggling injury.

Obviously I have a long way to improve but if the dice could cut me some slack it would help.

EDIT: Lol fantastic example of my armour/unjury rolls... I just had a blitzer KOed by a goblin Sad

Do not blame the dice. That's the first mistake and a big mistake. Blaming the dice prevents you from improving.

You had 72% and 68% luck in the last two games where your guys died. Both times much higher than your opponent.

IF you actually want to improve, stop blaming the dice, stop blaming the race of your team.

Last gave v. ogres: You put 7 guys on the line of scrimage kicking to Ogres. And TWO on the line of scrimage on the sideline!! Of course the first die roll broke armor, thank goodness you did get lucky and didn't get more of your guys killed.

Turn 3 v. ogres: You had a guy, with the ball, within scoring range and chose to... block the goblin behind him with two negative assists (STR3 vs STR4!!!) , two dice, the wrong way AND you ROLLED DOUBLE POWS!!!! AND KNOCKED THE GUY OUT!!!!!! You are the luckiest guy ever!

The problem is not the dice or the race or the skill choice or the speed of your modem or the resolution of your monitor.

Do you understand how the block dice work and what we mean by "rolling 2 dice"? Because on that play, you had a guy (thrower) to negate two assists and get a STR3v2 two die roll but chose to roll two dice the wrong way and roll str3v4.... and got lucky. really lucky.

If the other folks on this thread are intending to help this guy, then go back and check his replays and give him some help. This shouldn't be a discussion about how to skill up a black orc or the third skill doubles roll on a thrower.

Again, Me: not perfect. Not even expert. Maybe barely intermediate with some races.

I just lost badly playing with Amazons for the first time... because of my own actions and lack of knowledge and experience of how to play them... period.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I can never stress this enough: don't blame the dice. N00bs blame the dice. Bad dice happen, but ALWAYS think that if you lose it is because of your bad plays.

This game is a mix of chess and pure luck. When you start playing it, you think it's more luck than skill.
After a while, you realize there's much more skill involved than you could ever think, and a lot less luck involved than you thought.

(when you become a true expert, you forget about *skill* and *luck* and start considering the existence of karma, but that's another story Very Happy)

So: if you lose it's YOUR FAULT. You are not unlucky. You are a bad player. Improve yourself, always be the first critic of yourself, never ever blame the dice, and you will get somewhere eventually.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The most important tip by not trying out yourself: Watch good orc coaches. Look up the games page, look up the teams and their statistics and watch. Watch and learn. Did and does great tricks for me.

If you are a little familiar with this site, you will recognize the big names out there. They are playing orcs? Watch.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't blame the dice. Blame the slippery pitch.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Have a kick-dp lino, which is so much better for your winning chances than a block-dp one. Kick wins you games.

If you take a lino off the LOS, then you have to put a way more useful blitzer or bob on the LOS. Which I think is stupid. Even with a dp kicker.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Have a kick-dp lino, which is so much better for your winning chances than a block-dp one. Kick wins you games.

If you take a lino off the LOS, then you have to put a way more useful blitzer or bob on the LOS. Which I think is stupid. Even with a dp kicker.

Orc los: Bob-Troll-Bob.

Orc field-cover: Bob - four blitzers - Bob. And two DPs. One of them should have kick.

That's how I'd play, anyway.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2008 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

get some goblins, there cool, tying up mummies assisting black orcs getting thrown into the end zone then just concetrate on killing all the skeletons by the time the second half kicks just run rings around the mummies or team up on them split them up and put the boot in. Ok this ain't as easy as it is saying it. If you want to play any of my teams some time then i dont mind giving your orcs a shoeing untill you get the swing of things at which point i will make my escape taking with me as many SPP's as i can hold onto...ha ha ha Twisted Evil

Foul Bowl - Table Top Tournament in South Wales
 Jump to: