46 coaches online • Server time: 16:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Old Ranked, League &...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Apart from the race, I think the starting lineup is the a very important thing to get right. Say, if you start with Skaven and take the Rat Ogre (which, for a beginner, is appealing because of ST5), you're bound to lose, because you get less Gutter Runners and Rerolls. The same thing with Humans and Orcs. If you take the big guy right from the start, you face un uphill struggle.

Anyway, prioritising the amount of rerolls is very important, because rerolls mean that the stupid things anyone does are less punishing. The problem with rerolls is, of course, that it's too easy to use them to reroll just push backs on blocking.
NonkelvanGrauwel

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Well to go against the trend here, I'd like to say I started of with orcs tabletop and was terrible, after a few disappointing tournaments I switched to Woodelves and started winning games even at the cost of players getting killed now and then.

I remember starting with those orcs and thinking they could kill other players, and finding out they fell over just like anyone else. As a newbie I found my orcs lying around most of the time, unable to dodge or handle the ball while my more nimble opponents (darkelves and skavens in the first games) ran around my guys making touchdowns.

As a newbie I found them slow and clumsy. Tough but not as hard hitting as advertised. I think a beginner is better off with norse or amazons

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I would suggest that the best teams for new players are the ones that will give them a chance to win while playing less well than their opponents.

As a result, I would suggest that new players stick to the best low-TR races - Undead, Amazon, and Chaos Dwarf.

Orcs and Skaven would be my personal fourth and fifth choices; Khemri sixth. Everything else is well down the list.

That said, I know that they're going to play Chaos or Rotter, because these teams are the coolest, and, you know, as long as they are having a good time, why not?
rostern

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodies are best for noobs Very Happy

just learn to take the cas
Dragons

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

You got a point.

runreallyfast wrote:
I would suggest that the best teams for new players are the ones that will give them a chance to win while playing less well than their opponents.

As a result, I would suggest that new players stick to the best low-TR races - Undead, Amazon, and Chaos Dwarf.

Orcs and Skaven would be my personal fourth and fifth choices; Khemri sixth. Everything else is well down the list.

That said, I know that they're going to play Chaos or Rotter, because these teams are the coolest, and, you know, as long as they are having a good time, why not?
Ainacalion

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

imo: woodies are nice to start with if you want to win some games fast and start with some confidence before moving to other more challenging teams. But if you want to learn all the facets of the game you need orcs or humies to learn you that. I'm not saying that one team is better than the other because all teams learns your something new about the game.
I started playing BB with a Vampire team it taught alot about positioning, what to do first in a round aso. And sure, it was a rough start, and i got beat up alot but after 6 month of playing them i got pretty good, because i knew what you could do and couldn't do in a game.
(and on my vampire team i have this dude: The Dodging Duke, Vampire: 7 5 5 8; Block Dodge Very Happy)
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that Vampires are an excellent starting out team, and would recommend taking at least 5, preferably 6 vampires in the starting lineup. I mean, what's better than a bunch of ST4, AG4, regenerating monsters to get you started!

6 Vampires 660k
5 thralls 200k
9 FF 90k
Apoth 50k

I don't think we're missing anything there are we?

Very Happy

runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The apothecary is of course completely unnecessary, Laviak - everyone knows it's better to buy one after the first game.

Better would be:

6 Vampires (660k)
8 Thralls (320k)
2 FF (20k)

Now, there's the kind of long-term thinking that wins bloodbowl leagues.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

good starting team Very Happy

i would change some thralls for cheerleaders, though...
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Go Woood Elves
Maximice RRs
11 linemen, 3 RRs
Think longterm because you are going to win... Wood Elves allways win...

Unexperienced coach retires team

Even 10 Linemen, 1 WD, 2 RRs is not easy... elves are not good at low TR.
You can learn a lot playing elves, but it can be frustrating.
(And it's about learning to play, not about learning to elfball or cherripick)
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

runreallyfast: I accept your corrections to the roster I initially recommended - I particularly like the idea of having extra players for the second half (for those games where you can't roll anything but 1s in the first half). I think we're getting pretty close to the perfect starting roster for introducing new coaches to the game!

On a more sensible note, Humans by a long way. There are a few reasons.
1. They are a "balanced" team, with a bit of ball playing ability and speed, but not *too* much (i.e. they still have armour).
2. They provide an excellent baseline for comparison to other teams (which is useful when it comes to trying out new teams).
3. They have access to a wide range of skills (all bar mutations).
4. They can start with a range of positionals and still fit rerolls (i.e. players aren't too expensive).

They probably aren't the "easiest" team to start out with, but (in my opinion at least) they are the "best" team to start out (and learn) with.

NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood elves are one of the best teams for newbies, if you like a throwing game. Start with an all positional team with 0 rr and win games easily. Teaches you who to play the game without using rr (which a good coach should never depend upon). They are much easier to play than high elves or pro elves who both break easily.

Dark elves are somehow weird elves all ag4 but not really good at the throwing game. Something for more experienced coaches.

Nice teams for an easy win are also amazons, lizardmen, skaven and undead.

Wouldn't recommend norse as they break too easily, orcs are nice but kind of boring only movement 6 at the best doesn't help making scores fast.

Humans are a nice to learn about skills, but you won't win that easy. If you really want to learn about how blood bowl works, you might want to play a skillless human linemen team with lot's of rr and more than 11 players. There you can experience dodging/picking up with only ag3, who good two diceblocks without block work. How many rr you might need etc. ... But generally this will be too frustrating for newbies, as they will loose quite a lot of games.

Teams I definetly wouldn'T play as newbie: slann, vampires, ogres, khemri, goblin, halfling, nurgle, chaos pact and underworld.
Desultory

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Revived a thread from 2008!!
The OP not been around since 8 years ago Smile
kummo

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

(But now when it is up again):

I would recommend dark elfs over woodies. Sure, no ballskills does mean risks.. but risks are 1/6 with rr. 4 x block makes blocking easier (which is way more important to newbies.. i think passing teams will teach bad habits - you are not supposed to work around passing game.. surehands > pass/catch).

I recommend orcs, dark elfs and maybe dorfs/norse/amazon. Maybe because they might survive some beating a bit but norse and zons are av7 so not that much and dorfs are slow and makes wrong positioning so punishing.

This kinda depends on which parts the new coach wants to learn. Dorfs and lizards will teach positioning. Vampires will teach order of actions (maybe underworld too). Chaos and nurgle will teach 1/9 on blocks and dodges. Humans will teach 1/9 on ballgames (ag3 with skill-reroll). (Most of these are not for noobs.. a bit more like "advanced" basics or real advanced tactics/rules).
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2017 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

In 2008 we were still using LRB4...
 Jump to: