59 coaches online • Server time: 17:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Sad I tried.... Mezir and I got here too late.....

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

and I came here earlier.

So I didn't even try. Smile

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ill start having fun when this topic ends. =)

Jeffro
Slick

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

/me pimp slaps everyone who ruined Pauls thread, and buys Paul a drink. Don't worry man it's all good. You tried to help others out and failed. The lesson is to never try! Seriously though when are you gonna bash why dwarves heads in again. The other day this guy asked to play my high elves with his orcs and when i counter offered with my dwarves, he was like "no way man, i dont play dwarves". LOL what a wiener!

@Paul: PS: I hope this post makes you laugh a little. Mr. Green

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

* fouls anybody flaming with his trait*

No more evil whinies.

Ow, and i've been on 176 cr as my highest, but i don't consider myself as a sore loser, or a sore winner... I try to have fun, and it doesn't matter if i lose to a better opponent. Or better dice. I might grunt and sigh a bit.
High cr coaches, are on occasion horrible sports, but most i've played were fine.

I won't name the people i dislike and don't play often, they are too few, and not worth mentioning. Some of those are because i dislike them personally, some are just terribly slow, some just whine all game long and take 10 minutes turns every turn, making my game last 4 hours. No names.

Just never forget one thing. It's a game. in every game there are "powergamers" those who abuse anything they can. in this case the cherrypicking. Just play like you want to.

And praise people like Smess, rijssiej, Paul, Darkwolf, Alcing, Emphasy, Schalburg, Fischerking, Cloggy, all the admins and monkeys and oh so many more for making this game more fun, and setting the standards to new limits in their own ways.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

i think one reason why the whining occurs so much is not too many of us actually will ever back down from some one that you know is 3 countries away... people can be as tough as they want to be when they are online and have no chance of ever really having to deal with real people. plus alot of things like sarcasm dont always translate well online.... especially with the fact that english is not everyones native tounge. when i play face to face with some one i can see their expression and then tell if they are really laughing or not. i can tell if it will crush their spirts if i foul or not... i will never forget when my brother who was ten at the time played as a replacement in a tourney and the guy he played was such a jerk that he made him cry(long list of jerk moves including stealing his share of the winings) but you cant tell online and people often take the attitude that they will conduct them selfs differently then they normally would if they were going to have to ever deal with the person they were playing with. i am not taking the high road on this because i have seen red and tried to do some underhanded things. anyways im just rambling because i have an hour left of teaching and my kids are working on their own so im bored....
MattDFan

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The game is fun. If you are stressed by nasty dice, who aint, sure as PjPants said (kind of it seemed) some coaches take advantage of hiding behind PCs and behave like kids but enjoy beating them when you do. I was going somewhere with this but not sure where. Play and post drunk it is fun. play and don't post sober, fun too.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

i stopped having fun in a game recently when i realised that my opponent wasn't having fun, a comment like 'cant wait for this game to end' was what killed it. then again, i can see his point, he had a few skills on his team and was playing against my brand new team and he lost. now, that's ego taking a beating, a bit of bad luck, probably sm beer involved in bad choices, and things went sour for him..

and when he stopped enjoying the game, it beat the point for me, so i just speeded to the end...

however, i find that BB, like every other activity in the world, has an amazing element of psychology involved, which is what i love the most. ever been losing 3-0 in a match, and be able to recover to 3-2 at the very end because your opponent felt confident and relaxed? this is what attracts me.

if more coaches realised that losing 0-1 after the first half doesn't mean that u are gonna lose the match... if more coaches realised that skulls and snake eyes happened to everyone, they wouldn't feel bad about it. if more people realised that some games ur opponent's luck is gonna suck, and other times theirs is, they would accept the painful fate of their players easier...

but, in the long run, the world needs all sorts of ppl, and a cherry picker will always have a higher CR than they objectively are. if u play higher ranking opponents and lose a lot, u get cherry picked a lot due to ur low CR. my only 'request' would be that players who 'repeatedly' disconnect from games they are playing and start new games, disregarding their original opponent yada yada yada, should have their CR penalised... that would keep them inline, as the CR would be the only thing they cared abt in the first place...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, come on...

Shocked

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point from Candlejack there. As the community grows, you'll get more different opinions, and also more subgroups. You get a more reliable sample of people in real life, and hence the same problems. Targetting someone else (or another group) in order to come out better out of the equasion and maintain a high selfesteem is a broadly used strategy. So as people do in real life, coaches and subgorups will start targetting other coaches or subgroups, to maintain a sense of selfesteem and pride and in order to ensure that their playing style is justified.

Back to topic: Don't worry to much about people with different opinions (they will always be there) and just try to see a funny aspect in every game you play. After all it remains a game, and boy, don't we ALL love it !
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

My least fun game ever was playing in 4vs4 ... where my opponent ended up with 1 player left after the first turn (2 injuries + a handicap). It was a waste of time really. Sure i ended up with 7 TDs, and a whole lot of SPPs .. but it was boring as hell for both of us.

My most fun game ever .. is too hard to pick. Probably playing against orcs in F1. Managing to get double pows in 2d against blocks twice in the same match, one of which actually turned into a TD is a rather rare occurance, and helped make a highly entertaining game Smile

koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I am still having fun. Maybe it's because I am still a noob. Smile

If coaches are rewarded for cherry picking doesn't that mean that the ranking system needs tweaking?
Losing 1-0 against a top coach must be better than beating a low ranked coach. Though I have not really got the current formula into my head.

I suppose people will still cherry pick to avoid their teams getting beaten up.

I am not very bothered with ratings but it is nice to win sometimes. As a noob it is nice to think that I am improving by seeing my rating rise a bit. Though that does not happen much with one TD every three games. Smile
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The system rewards cherry picking by punishing hard matchups. Matchups that are twice as hard give only 10% more rating points on a win and you lose 95% of the points on a loss compared to the easy match.

The Teamstrenght has too little wight in the ranking formula. If I want to play an even (even in the meaning: Rankingformula expects a .500-rate) matchup with my TS 150 team, I can only play the top 53 coaches, because everyone with CR below 172,17 has to play me with a TS higher than 190, which is illegal in Ranked - just something to think about.

But I get the funny image of someones face-expression, when I reply to his challenge: "Sorry, canĀ“t play you. Your CR is too low." Wink
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:
So as people do in real life, coaches and subgorups will start targetting other coaches or subgroups, to maintain a sense of selfesteem and pride and in order to ensure that their playing style is justified.

Why not utilise this, and create a 'clan system' or something, where ppl on the game group up, and have a task to play against another subgroup, and the victor is whoever inflicts the most casualties (Genocide), or scores the most touchdowns (Speedy Gonzales), the highest income (Rich B*st*rd) etc...

that way you could develop in a light-hearted manner the natural human animosity for other groups of people, and settle the issue on the pitch... then you could have something like clan wars recorded every month etc...

now, if you can incorporate this in unranked (as a trial) you could then also move it elsewhere later... ranked could be hilariously funny like this, and you would also be working on a Clan Ranking system, which would express the Clan's success rate, as well as your average rating in the inter-clan competitions...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Schalburg

Post   Posted: May 20, 2005 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I still enjoy playing, imo everyone at FUMBBL are put there to entertain me in different ways sort of like different kinds of A.I. Laughing I really dont care much for whining or people getting angry with me for various reasons. Mostly it just amuses me, at first when i started out at FUMBBL I really took accusations seriously but in doing that I ended up in pointless debates where neither my my opponenet or me were willing to give in. So my advice to all you people who feel sad the way FUMBBL has changed (and it has), don't bother...
There are still plenty of fun people around that make this a better place, including you Paul (not that I now you personally, but I gather as much from your forum posts), so stick with them instead. In your case Paul stick with yourself Wink
 Jump to: