33 coaches online • Server time: 14:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Inscription JBL Sais...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
qk

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing slow is an old tactic in chess. You piss the opponent off and he loses concentration. Rather cheesy in BB, of course.

I play slow, I'm learning. 4-minute turns are common for me. So, whiners, get my name in your lists, please!
Curro

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

That´s true gk. And watching my opponent select a deselect players and doing nothing at all with them piss me off more than wait 4 minutes.
But we must be understanding with those people. I know I´ve done it sometimes when I was starting in FUMBBL.
qk

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

[Spanish moment on]

Hey, Curro, "good" luck on Saturday! Aupa Osasuna! jejeje (navarrico soy...)

[Spanish moment off]

Excuse us! Wink
Curro

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

lol!!
Aupa GETAFEEEE!!! sorry to say you this, but Getafe will win (or that I hope). Good luck anyway!

(Sorry for spam this thread too)
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one that do something else versus slower coaches? I just go back in chat and well...chat? Or take a look at NBA.com. Or at nudeblon....erm well no not this one...

Post 18 Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 07:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a novel way of approaching it... Just ask them what the problem is... Explain that the guidelines for time and find out what's taking them so long.

If they have a real life drama give them a chance to fix it, otherwise tell them to concede or stick to 4 minutes... if you've got a team with a low rating or maybe an inexperienced coach give some pointers.

Otherwise do what I do with my Khem (as they are not too proud to be dirty), just pound a guy down and foul every turn you get Smile if he whinges that fouling is frowned upon you can take that sweet moment to explain (again) about the guidelines for time taken for turns...

Be nice if its your nature (and your concept for your team), otherwise be not so nice... Rolling Eyes
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I admit that I am slow. I always try to stick within 4 minutes though and NOT 4 minutes every turn.

Are there official guidelines?

Here's what I think.

If someone is slow, say so. They may not realise that it is a problem for you.
Accept that they may take their full 4 minutes even if it bugs you.

If someone takes more than 4 minutes say so. They may have their sound turned off and not hear the warninga nd not be watching the clock.

Check whether someone is a known slow player or a noob. Don't play them if you want to be in bed in an hour.

Check your opponent's time zone. It may seem early to you but late to them.

If you are called away say so and apologise before you go.

If you know you may be called away say so before accepting a game. Give you opponent a chance to back out.

If you are called away more than once you should offer to concede.

If you think you will be away for more than 10-15 minutes you should offer to concede.

Say how long you think that you will be away.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I was playing a guy the other day and it was like, he'd gone for a crap or something, taking war and peace with him. His reply to my "Why so long" was "thinking", so he was still there. Don't know what he was thinking about, the dice went his way all game with -2db and 1db, dodges, you name it. Just prolongs the frustration when some tosspot still takes forever to make his move.More fun watching grass grow or paint dry.

How about naming and shaming the slow players in a seperate thread? Should make for some great flame wars too Smile
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the mods allow that sort of thing.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm looking for a chess clock for RL games as i think i'm a fairly slow player, but think some of my opponents are slower. This way i get to see total time elapsed for each of us. Maybe that'd be a nice feature to add - total time taken on turns...
Korenn

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

yup an advanced chess-like clock in the fumbbl client would be nice, with options to set max time per turn, or max total time, with different repercussions if you run out. Then you could have fast paced tournaments with max 1 minute per turn, or something like that.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I have never heard of a TT game where the illegal procedure rule is enforced. And if I came across one, I probably would not play in it. It's a GAME.

As for the chess clock: how are you going to monitor the time taken per turn with a chess clock? I can see how a stop-watch might work, but would you reset the chess clock at 4 minutes for every turn?

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

What the white and black shoes said.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played TT with people who enforced IP. And then I had to use it too. Shame on me.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2005 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Off course IP should be enforced in tabletop. So should the 4-minute turn limit which is as solid a rule as any in the game. But it is not possible here. So nothing can be done. Search the forum for official replys on this topic from the powers that be.

M