10 coaches online • Server time: 05:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
I would rather see the removal of the DP claw/RSC limit than a TR cap. I am not advocating either though.

Good that you're not advocating that evil thought! Very Happy

Well I play in the fringe so I get more games as it is now... why not just raise the number of games to 5 or 7? I must say I like the 5 game length of the fringe season.

The other rules seems to work and I don't think they need to change. Smile

On a side note, my Ducks have a record of 0-0-3 so far. Go Ducks!

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
Mully wrote:
And sicne we are about as fragile as a finger nail I throw up a vote for in-Season TR caps for each division.

Same caps as are currently used, but held during play.

Shocked OMFG

... says the big bad Orc coach.
Show some balls and play with the Elf race and then see if you have any insightfull comments.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
... says the big bad Orc coach.
Show some balls and play with the Elf race and then see if you have any insightfull comments.

I took Orcs in NWL because I'd never played them. I have HE in my other league. And if I'm not mistaken Celas' WE are trouncing all of us!
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

How is playing elves in an anti bashy format ballsy?

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
This is an anti bashy format!!! Man why didn't anyone tell my players they keep breaking left and right lol. Very Happy
altus_bellator

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I love Meech's idea of removing the stipulations on skills. While you won't see me playing a DP team in a season, I don't think we should limit it. Foul me every turn if you want, unless you get lucky Ima beat you more often then you beat me with that strat.

Banning skills seems lame to me....we should allow team development however we best see fit. Too many leagues die because people have house ruled them to death.

5 games would be good I think as a minimum, 7 as a max seems to fit well. Again, all just my opinion for what its worth (I know...not too much)

We should get Big Mac in this league. Then he wouldn't be able to dodge my challenges. Very Happy <--- Random I know, but the thought makes me smile.
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Karsk wrote:
Meech wrote:
This is an anti bashy format!!! Man why didn't anyone tell my players they keep breaking left and right lol. Very Happy

Learn to regen. I took classes!

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Really where can I take that class hehehe. My guys really need to learn how to do that Smile
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

altus_bellator wrote:
I love Meech's idea of removing the stipulations on skills. While you won't see me playing a DP team in a season, I don't think we should limit it. Foul me every turn if you want, unless you get lucky Ima beat you more often then you beat me with that strat.

Banning skills seems lame to me....we should allow team development however we best see fit. Too many leagues die because people have house ruled them to death.

It's been my extended FUMBBL league experience that you are wrong. And having played in over 30+ leagues that have failed (sad isn't it) I've noted the reasons why.

Unlike Open play, leagues usually don't allow recovery games. So here is what typically happens.

Step 1) League begins, races win/lose based on skill/luck. High AV teams sustain higher TR.
Step 2) After a few seasons, races now win partially due to superior TR as high AV teams are able to avoid decimating injuries.
Step 3) Low AV teams eventually retire due to crippling injuries leaving only high AV teams at the premiere level.
Step 4) Other coaches quit after being bored constantly playing Orcs, Dwarves, and CDs every week.
Step 5) League folds

Now this isn't always the reason leagues fold, but I've seen it enough to know it can be a major cause. (Celas' team is just pure freaks so I'll try to keep them out of this.)

But as Meech says, the CCC has all these restrictions plus the TR cap and I STILL hear it from elf coaches that it's too tough to survive multi round KO tournies vs Orcs/Dwarves/etc.

If I didnt care about the longevity of this league I'd say the heck with it and use all my doubles on Claw/RSC to try and create a rodent killing machine. But I'd rather see the NWL succeed WITH a VARIETY of races at each level.

Even in season #4 it's risking that at the premiere level with 5 of the 8 teams being bashy, 2 dodgers, and 1 tweener.

But DaTod has been in enough leagues as well and will continue to do whats best.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Just one question how does limiting Claw/RSC and dirty player not help the higher AV teams? It means they are even less likely to be hurt doesn't it? I am seriously asking and not just trying to be a jerk.
Fool

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2007 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the the setup of the seasons this time around simply because it is working... games are getting played. this wasnt always the case in seasons prior.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2007 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Karsk wrote:
Just one question how does limiting Claw/RSC and dirty player not help the higher AV teams? It means they are even less likely to be hurt doesn't it? I am seriously asking and not just trying to be a jerk.

You jerk!! (joking)

Its all about math. If I have DPs and an AV9 team and you have a DP and an AV7 team and we both choose to foul every turn then the odds are in favor of me wiping you off the field before you do me.

And if you are playing outside the league remember to never get into a foul war with a higher AV team, you are likely to come out on the short end.

In the end it's the coaches that make it work and i think all 8 premeire coaches are premiere coaches.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2007 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, I never see you in the NWL channel Mully? In fact, until this post I didn't even know you were in the league. :p

So pretty much let me guess this straight Mully....for a team to make it in a league for multiple seasons they have to have a high AV or the team won't make it?

Right.....glad we got that straight. Rolling Eyes

So far in this league I've not fought any orcs, or dwarves, or CDs...again...strange how that works. :p I took more of a beating from the dark elves last season than any other team in the league.

Besides, it adds way more to the amount of fun I have if there are open skills, but unfortunately that is my opinion and everyone has their own. :p
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2007 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

No bellator Im actually on the staff for this group as well. I have a busy life outside of FUMBBL and am rarely on IRC at all if Im not playing. I guess that means I dont know anything about leagues or the NWL. Sorry if that is a requirement for you.

I'd go over how you have twisted the words around from my post but your last post makes you sound like such a sarcastic ass Im not going to waste anymore time on it.

Post 6 Posted: Jan 24, 2007 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing my first season in Fringe and coaching a TR100 starting team, I'm taking some beatings with 22, 35, and in my next game a 57 point strength disadvantage. Since I have almost 0% chance to be promoted in season 1, i'm focussing on team development. (I grew up in Philly and sufferred through many losing seasons...)

NWL is fun, but I'd like it even better with more closely matched games. I do like chatting with people in the channel. And I think Mr_Foulscumm sponsorship of a prize for the premiere division is AWESOME!!!

I'd rather have a chance for both promotion and team development.

I prefer:
Arrow Tighter starting TR ranges - start everyone off at close to the same TR level instead of 50 point wide bands
Arrow About 5 games per season
Arrow Starting season TR caps (STR cap would be even better if it could measure a team at full health)
Arrow Max 1 DP per team (I'd even vote for zero DP or no fouling, but I can live with one DP, i hope Embarassed )

With regard to TR caps, for a team to grow and be promotable to the next level, we shouldn't have TR caps during the season.

It would be nice to have a once per season and end of season recovery system so if a team is under 11 players and are unable to buy replacements, then at the coach's discression and only once per season, have the mng removed from players. (Can admins do this in unranked?)

I agree with Mully's concerns that the high AV teams will make the top level division unsurvivable for AV7 teams. My CCC elves and norse have too often needed recovery games after devastating beatings by bashy teams. For me needing a recover game is a hassle and not fun.

All in all, NWL has been fun, with friendly coaches, and I enjoy the chats in the channel and chatting while speccing the games!

HF & GL!
 Jump to: